Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 11:44 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,827,713 times

Advertisements

So how do leather car seats hold up with larger dog breeds? I have only had cloth interiors and no leather furniture due to the cat (that's another thread in itself!). So not really sure what to expect. I am just really concerned that his nails are going to thrash the leather.

Unfortunatly we just had to total a car due to a wreck and are now trying to replace it. We had a diesel Jetta sedan and are now considering a diesel wagon (Jetta or Passat). First of all a used wagon is very hard to come by which means we may end up with a leather interior and my concern.

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 11:53 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,413,094 times
I will only have leather seats...so much easier to keep clean. BUT....at 85lbs, Dylans claws would go right through the nice soft leather! Or, at the very least, scratch it up. I always put down a heavy quilt or blanket...whether it be the truck or my 2 seater.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:02 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,336,207 times
We have never had a problem with leather seats. Both dogs are big. 125 lbs and 95 lbs.

I agree. Very easy to clean.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:03 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,611,624 times
I cover my seats. Just in case!

Old 08-24-2009, 12:13 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
My 72, 78, and 98 lb dogs don't hurt the leather, but I also keep their claws trimmed.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:24 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
I have leather seats in an old Tahoe with 180,000 miles of hard driving, many if not most of which were with canine riders. There are holes in the leather but dogs have not been the cause of any of them. It seems that humans (particularly the one with title to the vehicle) are much more dangerous to leather seats than canines are.

I would agree that a big dog will be capable of perforating a leather seat with his claws,but in my opinion the pros of leather outweigh the cons where dogs in the car are concerned.

Drool wipes off of leather. It rubs into cloth or plush seats.

Shed hair also wipes off of leather. It literally becomes woven into cloth or plush seats.

That unmistakeable odeur de chien does not stick to leather and gradually abates even if left to resolve of its own accord. It gradually becomes more and more oppressive in a vehicle clad in cloth or plush.

While cloth may seem more utilitarian and durable for pets, after a period of time your vehicle will become unfit for human riders and will make a bold statement. That statement is "crazy dog lady."

Real utilitarian is vinyl.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:33 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,343,362 times
I only have leather seats and it has never been a problem. While I don't use them all the time, I did get seat covers from LL Bean and they are very nice.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:09 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
Another solution to the leather problem (assuming you have crate trained dogs) would be to keep a travel crate in the car or at the ready in the garage. Probably a superior solution if vehicle preservation is your primary concern.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I have leather seats in an old Tahoe with 180,000 miles of hard driving, many if not most of which were with canine riders. There are holes in the leather but dogs have not been the cause of any of them. It seems that humans (particularly the one with title to the vehicle) are much more dangerous to leather seats than canines are.

I would agree that a big dog will be capable of perforating a leather seat with his claws,but in my opinion the pros of leather outweigh the cons where dogs in the car are concerned.

Drool wipes off of leather. It rubs into cloth or plush seats.

Shed hair also wipes off of leather. It literally becomes woven into cloth or plush seats.

That unmistakeable odeur de chien does not stick to leather and gradually abates even if left to resolve of its own accord. It gradually becomes more and more oppressive in a vehicle clad in cloth or plush.

While cloth may seem more utilitarian and durable for pets, after a period of time your vehicle will become unfit for human riders and will make a bold statement. That statement is "crazy dog lady."

Real utilitarian is vinyl.
Great post, lol!

He is crate trained but I rarely crate him anymore. He has free run of the house and he is actually really good in the car. Besides, I love petting a dog head while at a stop light.

Yes, great points on hair and drool. I wonder if using Rain-x on the inside of the windows would make it easier to clean nose and slobber muck off of?Hmmmm

Old 08-24-2009, 02:10 PM

Thanks everyone for the great insight to leather seats, I feel much better now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs