Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2007, 05:37 PM

18,746 posts, read 33,492,681 times

Advertisements

The largest no-kill in the U.S., I think. Some 1500 animals on any given day, majority of them cats and dogs, but also farm animals, horses, birds, you name it.
I'm taking a week-long volunteer vacation there. The sanctuary is in Angel Canyon, Kanab, Utah, between Bryce and Zion Canyons, in southern Utah. One of the most gorgeous places in the world. I gather a lot of people stop in for the half-day tour they offer, as a lot of tourists are driving by visiting the canyons and national parks.
Best Friends has cottage and cabin lodging (book well in advance!) and is a 4-hour drive from Las Vegas, the nearest large airport.
I am so eager to meet the people and animals there! I've been contributing for a long time (four stars in CharityNavigator.org) and have adopted three dogs long-distance (after being vetted by a local human rep, although it's not the usual way people adopt).
Has anyone reading this been to Best Friends? What did you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 06:02 PM

5,121 posts, read 16,627,734 times
My former roommate did what you're about to do.....took her vacation to go volunteer down at the sanctuary. I've never been there, but I adopted my dog from "No More Homeless Pets of Utah." I too have donated to the sanctuary and "No More Homelss Pets" among other pet charities. But I must confess, I am solely a dog lover. I have never volunteered around homeless dogs because I'd want to adopt them all!

I hope you really enjoy the experience. My friend did. She's a dog and cat lover. She's a RN but she also worked part time for a Vet.

Travel safely and share your experience with us when you get back.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:53 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,492,333 times
Oh yea been there couple of times, 1st time checked out dog town and found a yellow lab (Krissy) was not able to adopt her at that time as our yard/fence did not meet there criteria. Couple months went by and they called and asked if we still were interested, we were and they sent out someone to inspect. Met there requirments we went up with our other lab and they socialized, took her to the hotel in town she turned out just great.
So yes the trail across from the visitor center leads to the cliffs and interesting country. Walk down the road and check out the horses/corrals then the angels rest area.
The place is so big its amazing come back out to the main road from the vistors center and up the pavement a mile or so and make a right and into the pet area spread out nicely.
Recommend the place to all.
Krissy was a San Fransisco SPCA rescue and nobody adopted her and she ended up at best friends and now in Arizona.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:47 PM

I hope you really enjoy the experience. My friend did. She's a dog and cat lover. She's a RN but she also worked part time for a Vet.
Travel safely and share your experience with us when you get back.

Thanks so much for your good wishes. I also work as an RN (psych) and I know I'll be tempted to throw "it all" away and move to Kanab and become a vet tech (no certification in Utah). However, I suspect Best Friends doesn't need an aging new vet tech with a bad back. I'm much more likely to help them out by staying employed and donating to them (plus they figure in my will in a big way).
They've already picked out my potential next adoption. Is there much difference between living with five dogs and six?! I'll be happy to post about Best Friends if people are interested. Returning on Sept. 4 (after a drive through Colorado).

Old 08-16-2007, 09:03 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,852,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Is there much difference between living with five dogs and six?! I'll be happy to post about Best Friends if people are interested. Returning on Sept. 4 (after a drive through Colorado).
If you want to know the answer to that question, the best person to talk to is SAM I AM!!!She has 7 doggies and she can give you a hell of advice!!!

We would love to here your experiences. GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 08-17-2007, 02:20 PM

We would love to here your experiences. GOOD LUCK!!!

Thanks so much. I'll be back Sept. 4 and will look forward to talking about my time at Best Friends. Regarding five vs. six dogs, I bet my town has a limit and I'm already past it, but four of 'em sort of look alike, so who's to know? I don't let them bother anyone in the yard with barking, and I live in a fairly private wooded area. My only concern is, since one of my original dogs died, the largest, youngest two have been bullying the smaller three a lot, and I wonder if there is just too much proximity or something. But a seven-year-old Aussie from a hoarding situation would fit in just fine... I'll be posting again, so glad people are interested in Best Friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs