Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:38 AM

490 posts, read 1,433,786 times

Advertisements

On Saturday our little one got her 3rd Parvo/Distemper/Lepto...I think it is also called DHLPP. She had an allergic reaction. It was really upsetting! She was flipping out...throwing up...

She did not have a problem after shot 1 or 2. (This is even with a benadryl shot given beforehand b/c our breed is high-risk for reactions).

We had to take her back and leave her at the vet so they could give her care and monitor her. It was awful. She was so upset and scared...we were worried she would never recover!

After reading alot we discovered that our breed does not react well to Lepto and they often have reactions to the 2nd or 3rd shot after it has been built up in the system.

The vet says she needs a 4th of these shots and I thought they only needed 3. We are really upset and do not want her to go through this again. We are considering not doing #4 b/c we really feel she will be fine with 3 sets.

We are also not sure about the Lyme disease shot.

The next shot we really feel is necessary is the rabies when she is alot older.

I am really torn b/c I feel over-vaxing can really hurt animals....

Any Advice??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 08:39 AM

I think shot #4 is called Parvo HA...

Old 03-16-2009, 09:25 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,465 times
What breed do you have?

Old 03-16-2009, 09:26 AM

She is mixed...Maltese/Yorkie.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:36 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,285,482 times
Sorry you're going through this. How old is she? We were warned by our breeder to not give PC lepto because he will most likey have a very severe allergic reaction to it due to his breed. Luckily, in our area, lepto is not given, so we don't have to worry about that. Check out www.critteradvocacy.org I use their guidelines when vaccinating my dog. He's had the minimal acceptable vaccines, and we stay away from the 3 in 1 or 4 in 1 shots because they are likely to react to those and you won't know which part they are reacting to. We were very lucky to find a vet that doesn't believe in overvaccinating and only gave him the shots she thinks are necessary. Good luck and hope she feels better soon!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:45 AM

Thanks! I really like that website. She is 10 weeks today.

I am still really upset, but she seems pretty happy today and back to her old self. We may say no to the 4th round...or see if we can do the Parvo only.

We may consider the Lyme disease shot later on b/c his family has a ranch and Cali will go stay there for a week while we are out of town this summer. She could get ticks there. I want to put it off as long as possible.

I am really scared about the rabies shot but we have no choice since it is the law.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:55 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,610 times
I've been a vet tech since 2001 and worked as an assistant before then. The only reactions I've seen to rabies shots have been in ferrets.

She probably reacted to the Lepto, which she should not have again. If she absolutely has to (in the instance of a lepto outbreak in your area) then she should stay and the vet's so they can monitor her afterward.

Vaccine reactions can be scary. But if they can also be managed, if the vaccine must be given.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:56 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,028 times
You're are right to be concerned. I do not like vaccinations. Pets are way over vaccinated and these drug companies have got pet owners brainwashed with their marketing campaigns.

In particular, the lepto vaccine can wreak havoc on the immune system.
Questions & Answers on Vaccinations

Some breeders, like Leerburg kennels, do not give their dogs any vaccines whatsoever.

Others are now giving the dogs what they call a "limited vaccine schedule," which basically consists of only three shots (live parvo, distemper and rabies). The dogs get only a single shot (no boosters) and no shots are given in combination -- in other words, they are all given separately. In addition, the shots are given after 12-14 weeks when the pup's immune system is more fully developed.

This website may provide more info:
Limited Vaccine Protocol

Old 03-16-2009, 10:01 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,610 times
Interesting links, Woof. I was unable to find what kind of training the authors have. Do they have any sort of medical background?

I am all for preventing overvaccination of pets. On the other hand, I think it's easy to go too far in the other direction. Do you have studies that show that giving a vaccination without a booster is as effective as one with a booster? That is not how I was taught it works in my immunology class. I'd be interested in information proving otherwise.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:04 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josci View Post
We may consider the Lyme disease shot later on b/c his family has a ranch and Cali will go stay there for a week while we are out of town this summer. She could get ticks there. I want to put it off as long as possible.
I'd say "No" on the lyme as well. It is not always successful, for one. Second, it can trigger an auto-immune response, and three, lyme is very easy to treat, simply put the dog on antibiotics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs