Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 03:26 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,079,286 times

Advertisements

I saw this in another thread and decided to start a new thread.

I find this so annoying: I will usually steer my dog away from bigger/yappy dogs but sometimes people let their dogs off leashes (in parks or nature centers or wherever) and get ANNOYED when I ask them to get their dog away from us.

Walking my dog even down the local road is frustrating. One of our neighbors has 2 dogs they allow to hang out on their lawn. I have been assured these are nice dogs (Goldens) that will not bother us 'unless we stop' and then 'they just want to play.'

The first time we were approached I screamed for the guy to come out and get them off us..

We were actually attacked by a huge and nasty Lab type dog in April and I think this made my dog skittish as a pup (and to today).

My dog gets overly excited and tends to provoke other dogs except for certain ones we know well.

One day some yappy poodle came rushing at us from no where (we were down the road at some woods)...

Why do people always think their darling poopsy or Killer will never harm you or your dog?

Nothing is 100%...

Yes, I will sue your *** if I or my dog get bitten by your 'roaming monster'...

Sorry, I love dogs...so should people by keeping them on leashes EXCEPT in dog parks (enclosed)..even at parks they should be restrained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 04:19 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
I'm with you. I used to walk my big dogs down the middle of the street and all these little yappers would come out and run right up to us. One of my dogs could kill them just by trying to play. People never seemed to think their dogs were annoying - me and my dogs sure thought they were!

Old 11-05-2008, 04:39 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,739,045 times
I hate when people have their 60-80 lb dog unleashed. Once a dog who was leashed lunged at our little Bichon. Every once in a while, that same dog is unleashed in the yard, and I think that is a liability. If my dog were injured, I would be calling animal control and a lawyer.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:41 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,275,852 times
I no longer walk my two dogs on our greenebelt due to the number of folks that disobey the leash law... I don't need a trip to the vet on a Sunday or ever mind you!

If I take them for a walk in our neighborhood, where many tend to run at large, I take a few small rocks with me to toss in their direction if need be, not at them, only towards them

It frutrates me that I have to goto that extreme just to get my pups out for some fresh air and scenic views

Old 11-06-2008, 12:59 AM

19 posts, read 61,214 times
If you have such a problem with your neighbors why don't you just call animal control I actually had a neighbor with a Golden Retriever that she would always let roam without a leash. I had asked her a couple times if she would put her dog on a chain in her yard instead of just letting him run around while she was outside with him she said she would but never did. I owned a Pitbull that was a sweetheart to people but hated other dogs I put my dog on a chain in the front yard and went about cleaning the garage. Won't you know my neighbor let her dog out with her and he had no leash wel her dog ran over to mine and that was it. My dog had attacked her dog while on his chain and mauled her dog pretty badly my father and I had to go to court which we won and had to pay nothing to her because our dog was on his chain. Moral of the story is never ever whatsoever let your dog out without a leash even if your right there anything can happen I love dogs and felt bad for my neighbor even though she tried to sue us for the damage that was done to her dog.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:04 AM

I really haven't had trouble with these neighbors since the first time. Found out later that house belongs to a boy in my son's class. He had the boy over for a playdate and the kid told me it's his house!

In Vermont I doubt they would do much at 'animal control' about wandering dogs. They have rural rules here and I bet it's allowed.

Dogs do run away and get out but it's so disconcerting for me to gear up to walk my dog (who is a handful sometimes) and then have to deal with some crazed dog (of any size).

When I lived in NY we had a house a few years back in a spotty area. People there had a big dog who they would let roam around and it was just harassment but you just had to grin and bear it in order to deal with the neighbors.

In suburban areas you can usually tell the trashy neighborhoods by the dogs being allowed to run (in the streets) unteathered/roaming without neighbors.

In rural places, like where I live, I suppose you have deal with it.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:04 AM

103 posts, read 428,068 times
This is my biggest pet peeve ever...I have three dogs I walk and they are fairly well-behaved on the leash (all three have a harness). My only problem is other peoples dogs - expecially little ones. For some reason, people with little dogs seem to think that they can walk their dogs on the longest leashes made so that their dog can run up to my dogs. One time, I was walking them and this kid was on his cellphone with his cocker spaniel. I was on the other side of the street and he let his dog cross to the other side, upsetting my dogs and causing me a huge scare. The kid was oblivious...

In the same neighborhood, a neighbor had a little weiner dog who would leave its yard (no leash or fence of course) and run over to my dogs. Again, owners totally oblivious.

Still in the same neighborhood, a lab on a pet fence would come charging to the boundary, usually out of nowhere and scare the living daylights out of me.

I love dogs but hate how people have no regard for other people and other peoples pets. If my dogs had harmed any of those dogs, I would have felt bad but it would not have been my fault.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:11 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I'm with you. I used to walk my big dogs down the middle of the street and all these little yappers would come out and run right up to us. One of my dogs could kill them just by trying to play. People never seemed to think their dogs were annoying - me and my dogs sure thought they were!
Those same people probably think that their hyperactive kids are a delight to the rest of us also...

Old 11-06-2008, 03:47 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,348,336 times
No leash laws where I live so all the dogs run free.
Big dogs, small dogs. (I live in a very rural mountainous area.)
I walk everyday with my dogs (both are lab mixes) My dogs may or may not approach other dogs and vice versa.
If you ever have watched the Dog Whisperer, he will tell you to be calm/assertive, be the pack leader. My dogs and the other dogs will smell each other. I've never seen any of them get into a fight but I think if you let your dog be a dog, he/she will be happier and if you remain calm when these dogs approach, the other dogs will remain calm and so will your dog.
When people start freaking out over a dogs behavior, the dog picks up on the persons energy and will be aggressive.
I have had my dogs on leashes when they need to be and when an unleashed dog approaches, we ignore him and walk on. Works everytime. Ignore the other dog and your dog will ignore him too.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:30 PM

songinthewind, I respect what you are saying but my dog is a hyper hunting bred (not by me, by nature!) dog. She would not be calm as other dogs walked by!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs