Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 07:41 AM

593 posts, read 1,794,609 times

Advertisements

I've been a life long cat owner so I'm learning about dogs now as my son brought me a puppy in Sept...Her name is Lucy and she's part Chihuahua and Who's My Daddy...We don't really care what she is, as we're so in love with this little girl it hurts..

Recently, she's been making this hysterical noise that gets my hubby and me laughing. If one of us is holding her and she wants to go to the other lap, she'll make this whine/growl/whimper sound that almost sounds like she's talking...She sounds like Scoobie Doo... I had a poodle 30 years ago, and she didn't do this...

Just wanting some ideas of what she's doing...Once she gets what she wants, she stops...Needless to say, this is funny to us...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 08:29 AM

725 posts, read 3,013,757 times
when our long haired chi wants attention, she comes up to us and sits on our lap (or if we're laying down, she really likes to stand on top of our throat/chest area which gets kind of annoying), but then she whines/grunts. she will only stop if we pet her. most of the time it's cute, but she also used to do this several times over night while we were sleepng (not so cute).

Old 02-25-2010, 08:33 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,117,598 times
Your doggie is talking! Mine does it too, part howl, barking, etc. when he wants treats, sees you after a couple of hours and talks back if you are trying to scold him for something he did wrong.
It can be cute and not so cute depending on owner's mood.
Congrats on the new member to the family!

Old 02-25-2010, 08:34 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,471 times
the only sounds mine makes is BARK BARK BARK BARK AND BAAARRRRKK! sounds like she is saying "next lap please". .....ok he play growls and whines between barks but his best trick is BARK BARK BAAARRRKKK HA!

Old 02-25-2010, 08:44 AM

1,439 posts, read 2,919,369 times
My dog talks all the time. She makes a high pitched squeels, grunts, barks and yaps. When I first got her she wasn't vocal at all, now 9 years later she is forming dog sentences. Our family's big joke is that she is swearing and cussing. Her most frequent sentence is "get my food *&!@#es". She's our dear sweet potty mouthed dog, lol.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:21 PM

Thanks to all of you...Wasn't sure if she was trying to talk of not..it sure is funny...Reminds me of Soupy Sale's old character, White Fang too...

Old 02-25-2010, 02:13 PM

445 posts, read 1,448,344 times
It is funny. Like you, I'm much more used to cats and when we first got Louie I didn't know how to speak his language. When a cat purrs, you know you're doing something right! Well, maybe he's been hanging around the cats too long, but Louie has started purring. He makes a moaning growly noise when I stroke his chest and tummy. And when I stop petting him, he'll look at me with his soulful brown eyes and lift up his paw. Irresistible! Yesterday, my daughter and I were both petting him and he kept "purring" and doing the paw gesture at both of us to keep us petting him. Yes, he is a spoiled baby.

He also cries, mostly out of frustration. When denied a toy or a treat, he'll go "Awwww!"

Old 02-25-2010, 03:51 PM

Stillife....Lucy does the paw thing too and does the happy dance while making her funny noise...What a personality she has!...Her talking is just too cute...I asked some friends who have dogs and there's don't do this...I'm now wondering if it's because we've spoiled her; she's SPOILED rotten and I'll be the first to admit it..

Old 02-25-2010, 04:05 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,445,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Eyes View Post
I've been a life long cat owner so I'm learning about dogs now as my son brought me a puppy in Sept...Her name is Lucy and she's part Chihuahua and Who's My Daddy...We don't really care what she is, as we're so in love with this little girl it hurts..

Recently, she's been making this hysterical noise that gets my hubby and me laughing. If one of us is holding her and she wants to go to the other lap, she'll make this whine/growl/whimper sound that almost sounds like she's talking...She sounds like Scoobie Doo... I had a poodle 30 years ago, and she didn't do this...

Just wanting some ideas of what she's doing...Once she gets what she wants, she stops...Needless to say, this is funny to us...
Some dogs can be very vocal, making all kinds of strange noises. My Blizzard whines with excitement whenever she is in a vehicle (she loves going for a ride). Or she will let out a small, almost a whisper, "woof" if she sees something at a distance. She also growls while playing.

Buddy, my other dog, is as quiet as a church mouse. I have only heard him bark fewer than half a dozen times in the last 2.5 years.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:34 PM

386 posts, read 1,363,667 times
One of my rescues has started doing a long hum like 'hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm' takes a breath and then another 'hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm' until we finally give in and give her attention. They are sooooooooooo funny!!!!!!! Congrats on the puppy. We have always been a cat + dog family and it is so funny to see the cat chase the dogs sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs