Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 12:02 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times

Advertisements

I am still livid about this...today we took our dog & son to the park. The dog has to work off steam since it has been so cold and frigid here. We were all having a good time, she was off the leash but we are always wary because of other dogs that might show up.

We always get her right on the leash as soon as we see another dog to avoid an incident. Well, out of the blue rush these 2 huge Newfoundland dogs. One starts bounding up to my husband and dog (he was trying to get her leash fastened ASAP) and then it kept running up to my son and me.

The 2 owners, an older man and his wife were ambling very slowly from the woods to us. My husband asked the guy please call off your dogs. The guy feebly tried but the dog didn't listen.

Meanwhile my dog was jumping and twisting to get away from these huge dogs bothering her. My husband was very angry and asked the guy to get his dogs but the guy started mouthing off at my husband. (bad idea).

They got into a war of words and I kept saying, just let's go...we did try to leave but the old guy started getting nasty at US--said get your ass out of here, go back to Connecticut or New York (wtf?) and kept shooing us. Bad idea.

My husband got really mad and told the guy we live here and we have EVERY right to be at the park. We're at the parking lot and the guy is still mouthing off at us. I am embarrassed and the wife of the guy is too. I say I am sorry to her but I am pissed about the NY comment....I tell the guy we live here and he starts spouting how we hate dogs.

No, I don't hate dogs. We love dogs but I hate dog owners who let their HUGE or small ,yappy dogs, or any misbehaving dog off leashes and cannot control them. My son could have been knocked over by these dogs (they are huge dogs). In addition, it is dangerous to let your dogs bother people (law suit).

If you are a dog owner, either KEEP them leashed or damn well get some training for them.

This is the third or fourth time this has happened to me...(I always have her leashed and some ass lets his or her dogs harass her even though we ask to have them call off their dogs.)

My dog is skittish thanks to other dogs...she's been rushed several times and the owners act like WE ARE IN THE WRONG...

Is it not dog courtesy to get your dogs away from someone who asks you to?

PS OLD PEOPLE SHOULD NOT HAVE HUGE DOGS THEY CANNOT CONTROL.
Please chime in...

Last edited by GypsySoul22; 12-30-2009 at 12:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 12:07 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times
They were wrong to have their off-leash dogs not under control - but honestly, the size of the dog or whether or not it's "ratty" doesn't make any difference. I would be just as annoyed at a small well-groomed dog being not under control. People who have small dogs who think they don't have to be well behaved simply because a jump up on someone won't knock anyone over are just as bad.....Any dog (especially one who will be off leash from time to time) needs to be trained for it's own safety and that of others.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:11 PM

I'm sorry, I don't mean ratty as in groomed...I mean little yappy dogs (more likely to bite than big dogs).
I edited my original post.
Thanks for replying.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:16 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Scary + rude = bad combination!

I'd have been terrified and upset, just like you.

And the older dude saying "go back to Connecticut or New York" -- ??? Hey, I live in Connecticut!!! OK, I'm not a native, but still...!! Mod cut

I'm seriously terrified of unleashed dogs that I don't know. Artie is a loose cannon and I can't control more than him. I have a neighbor whose dog is always off-leash and he's been on Artie (literally ON him) twice and the owner was nowhere in sight. I had to call out for help until a neighbor's contractor heard me yelling and came to help and take the dog home. CRAZY!

I'm sorry that you (and your husband and your son) had to go through that. And the older dude, ranting and raving, sounds like a moron. I'm sure he makes his wife proud every day.

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-30-2009 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 12-30-2009, 12:21 PM

Yeah, I have lived here 2.5 years and who cares if "I am from NY?"

I am afraid it is a big thing here in Vermont. It's part of the reason I can't get a job (hatred of NYers who they claim messed up the state).

Old 12-30-2009, 12:21 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,285,482 times
I agree! Sorry you had to go through that! Here is something that really got me going earlier this week. Porkchop has a Pitbull friend at the park. Yes, his friend is a typical looking Pit, muscular and intimidating, but is truly the nicest dog you'll ever meet. He gets mounted all the time and just takes it! Even my dog won't stand for that.

Two days ago, Porkchop and this dog were playing tug of war, as they love to do. A woman, with the most annoying and aggressive chihuahua mix, loudly annouces to everyone that they should move away because these dogs are aggressive and "this can't end well." Meanwhile, her yappy little dog is bearing its teeth and growling at any dog or person that comes near it! But, because it's small she thinks it's cute and funny and ok to bring to an off-leash park. Her chi k kept biting my dog on the legs, as it does to many other dogs, and the owners kept laughing. When after about 10 minutes, PC has had enough, and jumped on top of their dog and wouldn't let it up, they no longer thought it was funny. I know that's his way of saying enough and he will never bite another dog, so I refused to remove him the same way she refused when her dog kept biting him. I told her he'll get up when he's ready, and he did. She's avoided us since! Bottom line, I don't care if your dog is 200 lbs. or 10lbs. If you can't control it, don't bring it out to a public place or let it off leash!

And the NY comment? We're from the East coast and my husband speaks like a true New Yorker. Gets comments on that all the time! Hey, I'd rather be from there than anywhere else in the country! There's a reason so many people flock to that area! :-)

Old 12-30-2009, 12:28 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,042,517 times
These days it's not the dogs you have to fear nearly as much as the owners...

Old 12-30-2009, 12:33 PM

I refuse to go to the dog park anymore because people cannot control their dogs there and I know my own dog.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:37 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,042,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I refuse to go to the dog park anymore because people cannot control their dogs there and I know my own dog.
Me, too.

And, if something should happen you never know how the chips will fall.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:40 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,335,969 times
I understand what you're feeling, I had my leashed puppy in the parking lot of the dog park. A car pulled up, the owners apparently popped their car hatch and 2 adult black labs rushed my puppy (no harm intended but they were way over the top excited). This all happened in an instant, and my puppy was terrified and crying. The owners just hobbled over like it was no big deal while their dogs were all over my pup. I wanted to smack them. It was incredibly inappropriate, but I learned a lesson, that I can't control other people and prevent stupidity (see, I am still angry about it!)

But, you also said you have been in this situation 3 or 4 times already. It sounds like if you continue to take your dog there, it will probably happen again. Maybe there is a more secure place you can find to take your dog where you will all be safer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs