Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 09:46 AM

9 posts, read 10,424 times

Advertisements

My first post here and I found this message board while goggling away.

I'm looking for a dog. I preferably want a pup and a pure breed but after reading up more and more about dogs and taking care of some over the last year or so I think I'll be a little flexibile.

Sadly I'm confused now. I currently live in a house now with a decent sized backyard but I may be downsizing in the near future due to some personal reseasons. I want a dog that can handle an apartment. However; I also what an exercise companion. I currently jog about a mile a day and I'd like a dog to make my jogs a little more enjoyable and to get me out of the house more after work etc etc. I'm fully prepared to walk/jog this dog every morning, quickly for lunch and after work as well. A night jog may be in the works when I'm not too busy (ie weekends, slow days etc.). I have taken care of a german sheppard and cokapoo in the recent past. These dogs belong to my brother and cousin respectively. I love the sheppard but I really don't want a big dog. The cockapoo is a very cute and intelligent dog but I'd really love something in between (ie. size of a cockapoo to attitutide of a sheppard)

After doing extensive reasearch the Minature Pinscher really caught my eye. Its a big dog in a small dogs body, highly intelligent, great attitude and very loyal. I was thinking a dog like this would be awesome for me.

However; the downsides are tough time to potty train (i'm fine with that) , always active (i'm okay with that depending on the threshold of activity). The only thing that bothers me is that breeders always tell me time and time again they don't necessarily agree with a novice owner having such a pet. A Min Pin is a handful I get it but it has traits that I'm looking for. Size, attitude, active and their looks just are so cute.

I've looked in rescue centres and it seems the min pin is one of the most common dog in rescue. This made me sad and I almost felt selfish wanting it. I don't wanna be an owner returning a dog to a shelter. If anything I'd like to be an example of a good new owner rather than a returner.

I've never been a dog owner but always wanted one. I've had friends and neighbours dogs that I've taken care of. Anywhere from a border collie, pit bull, husky and rotty in the past.

So I'd like to ask you guys what do you feel is a good dog for a first dog owner that may be switching to an apartment in the near future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 09:55 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,421,360 times
Beesley is a Dachshund/Cocker Spaniel mix and he's a great apartment dog! If I ran, he'd be the perfect running companion, too.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:06 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Min Pins are notorious for being overly active (i.e., destructive) when left alone. Use the 'search this forum" up at the top right and search for "min pin". YUou'll find a lot of threads from owners with problems.

I would suggest the breeders KNOW what they are talking about. There are breeds like the Min Pin, APBT, Malamutes, etc. who should not go to 1st-time owners. Just b/c they are not a big dog does not mean they are easy to own.

Please don't get a puppy! They are MORE trouble than a baby and you aren't home enough to house-break it. A dog who is at least 8 or 9 months old can "hold it" longer. No puppy can do that, they just go when they need to b/c they have no control over their boddies - just like a baby in a diaper.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:14 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,285,482 times
Honestly, go to your local shelter and volunteer for a couple of hours a week. Take the dogs out for a run and see which one meshes with you. Can't beat that! Also, it is not safe to run your dog until they are at least 2, since their skeletal system is not fully developed. Yea, people do it, but it's not smart, so an older shelter dog is your best bet!

Old 12-18-2009, 11:22 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
I have to second the idea of NOT getting a puppy. If you've never had a dog before and work full time, it's NOT a good idea. Puppies are an ENORMOUS amount of work, akin to having a human infant. You need to BE THERE with them most of the day. Puppies can't be just left alone, much less crated, for hours on end.

Go the rescue route: often already housetrained, neutering/spaying done, you know what you're getting.

And if you're contemplating a move to an apartment DO NOT GET A DOG. I can't tell you how many dogs come to rescue because owners downsized and they simply COULD NOT FIND AN APARTMENT that would accept them AND their dogs. Most apartments that accept dogs also charge more. Please don't be one of those people who had to choose between a home and the dog, because the dog always loses. And being shuttled back to rescue isn't good for a dog.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:35 AM

633 posts, read 1,949,660 times
If you own your own place it's one thing but I understand it as you are renting a house and you maybe moving to an apartment. If so firest make sure the LL will allow a dog in the house or you may find you have to move sooner then you planned. Then think forward, many rentals do not accept pets and that will reduce your selection. Then if they do they charge a monthly fee.

Also consider putting your dog in a kennel every now and then because as it grows older it will be difficult for it to accept or tolerate a kennel and if you can not bring your pet with you or can not find someone to watch the dog your life becomes somewhat controlled by your dog.

Just make sure you have thoroughly thought this through.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I have to second the idea of NOT getting a puppy. If you've never had a dog before and work full time, it's NOT a good idea. Puppies are an ENORMOUS amount of work, akin to having a human infant. You need to BE THERE with them most of the day. Puppies can't be just left alone, much less crated, for hours on end.

Go the rescue route: often already housetrained, neutering/spaying done, you know what you're getting.

And if you're contemplating a move to an apartment DO NOT GET A DOG. I can't tell you how many dogs come to rescue because owners downsized and they simply COULD NOT FIND AN APARTMENT that would accept them AND their dogs. Most apartments that accept dogs also charge more. Please don't be one of those people who had to choose between a home and the dog, because the dog always loses. And being shuttled back to rescue isn't good for a dog.
Actually if I move it will be a town house condo with a ground floor entrance and a tiny yard. Thanks for the the info though.

Also, I've seen many people who own a house who treat their dogs in ways I'd never dream of treating an animal. I've been on and off about getting a dog for reasons like this (ie. dwelling and commitment). If I get one it will be a 10 to 15 year committment on my behalf as I do know.

Also, I do like the idea of volunteering at the local animal shelter. Running with and helping out would problably be the work I'd need to start my journey.

I've also taken care of a puppy for 2 weeks and I realize how hard the task can me.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey mike View Post
If you own your own place it's one thing but I understand it as you are renting a house and you maybe moving to an apartment. If so firest make sure the LL will allow a dog in the house or you may find you have to move sooner then you planned. Then think forward, many rentals do not accept pets and that will reduce your selection. Then if they do they charge a monthly fee.

Also consider putting your dog in a kennel every now and then because as it grows older it will be difficult for it to accept or tolerate a kennel and if you can not bring your pet with you or can not find someone to watch the dog your life becomes somewhat controlled by your dog.

Just make sure you have thoroughly thought this through.
If I get a dog there is no way I'm putting it to a kennel while i'm on vacation and what not. I have a couple of options for "dog sitting" as a few friends and family members owe me a few favours for taking care of their dog.

As for renting a house. This is not the case I live in a house I own and I may be moving to a town house condo that I own. I was going to make it a rental property but plans may change.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:01 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,178,163 times
Do not get a min-pin for an apartment. I foster dogs and one of my fosters I adopted for myself is a min-pin. The reason he was surrendered to us is because the girl who adopted him had to get rid of him because the neigbhors in her apartment building complained about the barking and hollering. They are extremely vocal with that high pitched yap (which is the only downside of having him). Keep in mind the smaller the dog the louder and high pitched it will typically be.

As a foster, I selfishly ask you to maybe take a look at a rescued dog or puppy from a shelter or organization (Look in Petfinder). A foster will be able to tell you if the dog is suitable for you and your family and your living conditions based on the fact that they've had this pet living in their home for weeks. For instance, Jack Russell Terriers are known to be a lively, energetic. destructive, high strung dogs. I've had many Jack Russells in my home and suprisingly enough they were some of the best dogs I've had here except for one and only one who totally destroyed my house - ripping all my window shades off the windows, scaled the fence in the back yard (yes, scaled and not jump). She also was able to climb the handles of my kitchen drawers and get up on the counter and would jump up and down barking in the crate to the point the crate came up off the floor. I had to turn down several people who wanted to adopt her because of it and their living situation. I was extremely frank about her behavior with the person who ended up adopting her, but he had jack russells as a kid and his parents still have 2..

It was suprising for even me that the bulk of the jack russells I've had were actually suitable for apartment living and have adopted them to apartment people. I even adopted one to an elderly couple and when I was pulling out of the driveway he just stood there next to her in the unfenced front yard and was just a calm, wonderful dog who had none of the characteristics of a typical jack russell. Their ages ranged from 1 year old to 4 years old.

So, getting a dog in this manner limits and even diminishes the 'SUPRISE' of a dog's personality and good and bad habits. A foster in a rescue organization can also suggest another dog in their program if the dog you want isn't the right fit.

Last edited by Thursday007; 12-18-2009 at 12:11 PM..

Old 12-18-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Do not get a min-pin for an apartment. I foster dogs and one of my fosters I adopted for myself is a min-pin. The reason he was surrendered to us is because the girl who adopted him had to get rid of him because the neigbhors in her apartment building complained about the barking and hollering. They are extremely vocal with that high pitched yap (which is the only downside of having him).

As a foster, I selfishly ask you to maybe take a look at a rescued dog or puppy from a shelter or organization (Look in Petfinder). A foster will be able to tell you if the dog is suitable for you and your family and your living conditions based on the fact that they've had this pet living in their home for weeks. For instance, Jack Russell Terriers are known to be a lively, energetic. destructive, high strung dogs. I've had many Jack Russells in my home and suprisingly enough they were some of the best dogs I've had here except for one and only one who totally destroyed my house - ripping all my window shades off the windows, scaled the fence in the back yard (yes, scaled and not jump). She also was able to climb the handles of my kitchen drawers and get up on the counter and would jump up and down barking in the crate to the point the crate came up off the floor. I had to turn down several people who wanted to adopt her because of it and their living situation. I was extremely frank about her behavior with the person who ended up adopting her, but he had jack russells as a kid and his parents still have 2..

It was suprising for even me that the bulk of the jack russells I've had were actually suitable for apartment living and have adopted them to apartment people. I even adopted one to an elderly couple and when I was pulling out of the driveway he just stood there next to her in the unfenced front yard and was just a calm, wonderful dog who had none of the characteristics of a typical jack russell. Their ages ranged from 1 year old to 4 years old.

So, getting a dog in this manner limits and even diminishes the 'SUPRISE' of a dog's personality and good and bad habits.
Thanks for the post

I also have a friend who has a jack russell and she lives in an apartment. The russell is so good with her and only starts tearing things up if she is late coming home. She is really good at getting the dogs energy down though going for runs and such.

I like the Intelligence and savvy of Jack Russells as well but ya I'm scared my house will fall apart after.

As for me, I won't be getting a dog say tommorrow but am looking for more of a spring or early summer as a time to get it so I'm still going to be working on it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs