Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:52 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,818,345 times

Advertisements

To refresh, I posted that my dog was all of a sudden falling off the bed, and I was searching for bedrails to prevent more falls.

Well, as it turns out, my dog is going blind, very quickly. The vet saw her this morning, and her eyes are responding as they should, so he thinks it's something to do with her brain, or perhaps diabetes. As there has been an increase of drinking by one of the dogs, I'm going to watch and measure her intake of water for the next 4-5 weeks, unless it becomes very obvious, then I'll have her tested for that sooner. He did suggest a veterinary opthamologist (sp?), but like a lot of people, that's not in the budget, and since I noticed there is more water being drank, I'll monitor her water intake.

Thinking back, some things are making sense now. Her falling off the bed.
She knew the command "watch me" (she's also deaf), and now she doesn't respond to the hand signal. Just stares blankly at me. When I signal her to "come" she doesn't respond. I figured she's getting cranky in her old age (about 8/9), and is ignoring me. When I would take her out to the patio to do her business, she always made a beeline for the doggie door, no lollygagging or sniffing at all. Now, just this past week, she's been sniffing around the patio, and I figured she was just following the new foster around. Nope, she can't find her way back to the doggie door. She got stuck between the wall and the a/c condenser, trying to turn around when there's no room to do that. She couldn't figure out to walk forward or back. She's now walking into things inside the condo. Trash can, walls, furniture, me. She doesn't know when I'm holding her food in front of her eyes. I have to touch her nose with it.

I think she does see shadows, as long as their is a sharp contrast of light and dark. When all the lights are on in the living room/kitchen, she can avoid objects, she can step into her crate, navigate around under my computer table and chair.

I'm so heartbroken for her. She's been through hell, life dealt her a bad hand. Now this. I've handled dogs like this before, and everything was fine. I guess it's just different when it's your own. I do want her to see an opthamologist, I just need to do the overtime to take her.

And yes, I have a question regarding coping. What kind of runner can I lay on the floors that won't leak through to the flooring? She can't find the pee pads every time, and my floor is getting ruined. I'd like to minimize that. Would those vinyl (are they vinyl?) carpet runners waterproof? I was thinking I could lay those down throughout the unit so as to give her a guide for her movements.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 01:01 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
Urine can run under one runner where it lies over another. Confining her to one room, ex kitchen, would probably be easier. So sorry for you both!

Old 03-01-2010, 01:04 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times
Oh! I'm so sorry to hear that. Yeah, she was dealt a rough hand in life... and this is frustrating for her and it's frustrating (and sad) for you. Thankfully she has someone (you!) who loves her and is taking care of her.

As for the waterproof runners, my first thought was exactly what you're talking about. I don't know if they're waterproof (I would think so) but I'd imagine that the tag on them would say -- or you could find them online and read the specs, which I'm sure would say if they're waterproof. (If it doesn't say waterproof, I'd guess that they're not.)

Good luck with that. And please give your girl a smooch for me. And a cookie.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:25 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,921,015 times
So sorry to hear that your dog is going through this. My dog has the inherited form of cataracts, but she can't go under anesthesia, so no surgery for her. Like my dog, your dog will learn to start using her nose to identify everything, so how about trying to have special scents for her to identify objects like the doggie door? I really do wish you both the best. It is hard to watch them bump into things, breaks my heart too. Give her big hugs for me.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:30 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,238,034 times
Unhappy Oh no

I don't really have any advice, just want to send you both lots of HUGS.
I hope things can work out for everyone.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:35 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,921,015 times
Oh, I wanted to add some good tips for dealing with blind dogs...texture and smell are very important...
Blind Dog Tips
Hope that helps.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:46 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,946,770 times
We did see a veterinary ophthalmologist for electroretinogram testing, but my rescue chihuahua's retinas function so poorly that she didn't recommend cataract surgery for her. So, she finds her way up and down the ramp to the bed (!), skitters all over the apartment and I only have ONE table that needed to have some towels put around the legs. They DO adjust. Outdoors, my dog is FEARLESS. We walk on the streets of NYC and I just have to tug a little on the leash and she 'gets' that she has to move in the direction I'm tugging. I'm also thinking of getting this: Littlest Angel Vest* ~for blind dogs who can't use a cane

Old 03-01-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
Like my dog, your dog will learn to start using her nose to identify everything, so how about trying to have special scents for her to identify objects like the doggie door? I really do wish you both the best. It is hard to watch them bump into things, breaks my heart too. Give her big hugs for me.
Oh my gosh... you just reminded me of a foster I had that I did that for! I stuck a scented medallion thing on the dog door to help her find the door! I forgot about that! I'll have to go out and find something like that... maybe the pine scented Xmas trees you get at the car wash. Thanks!

The link for the blind dogs tips is very helpful... have ideas already! Thanks!

Old 03-01-2010, 04:07 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,452,647 times
I'm so sorry for your puppers problems and for your heartache. I hope she can adapt to the new sense of direction via smell and continue anew for quite some more distance of time. Hugs and cookies for BOTH of you!

Old 03-01-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
We did see a veterinary ophthalmologist for electroretinogram testing, but my rescue chihuahua's retinas function so poorly that she didn't recommend cataract surgery for her. So, she finds her way up and down the ramp to the bed (!), skitters all over the apartment and I only have ONE table that needed to have some towels put around the legs. They DO adjust. Outdoors, my dog is FEARLESS. We walk on the streets of NYC and I just have to tug a little on the leash and she 'gets' that she has to move in the direction I'm tugging. I'm also thinking of getting this: Littlest Angel Vest ~for blind dogs who can't use a cane
The towels around the table legs is a great idea. I've been trying to think of a way to pad the crate door so she won't injure herself if she walks into it (she's done that once already). I don't want to remove the door because I feed her in her crate and close the door to keep the other 2 dogs away from her at mealtime. I think I can make a "sleeve" with a couple of cut towels to slip over the door.

Thank you for everyone's well wishes and suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs