Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 12:47 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,193,955 times

Advertisements

Hi fellow pet lovers,

I know there are tons and tons of threads on a raw diet, but it is a little bit hard to sift through all of them.
I am strongly considering switching to raw for my 12 lb. Chug (pug/chihuahua) mix. She's a year and a half and has always been on dry kibble.
Costco sells a three pack of ground turkey that I think may possibly be organic. I was thinking about starting her on that. About a cup per day.
Thoughts?
Also is it better to truly just give it to her raw? What about lightly cooked in some grape seed oil?

Thank you all for your help on a subject that has already been talked about a lot on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 12:55 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,300,576 times
I'd stay away from ground meat, since the benefit lies in actually gnawing through bones and consuming the bones. Your dog will be deficient in minerals if she does not eat the bone.

Start with some chicken necks/backs. You can buy a single chicken neck at most supermarkets/butcher shops. After she gets used to that, you can start experimenting with other protein sources.

Also, I would not cook the food. Either go raw all the way or stick to kibble. If you only cook part of it, meaning the outside is fully cooked but the inside is raw, you can make her very sick. Cooked food takes a long time to digests and the juices from the raw will mix in her gut and possibly lead to contamination. You don't ever want to mix cooked/raw food together!

I know it was posted in the other site, but in case you missed it here is a link to an awesome site regarding raw and how to start feeding your dog a raw diet.

http://www.rawlearning.com/

Old 05-25-2010, 05:49 PM

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:10 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,825,250 times
I think you'd want to start with a more meatier choice. Chicken breast or thigh. Necks and backs are too much bone, can constipate. Or just supplement that with meat.

If your dog isn't overweight, feed 3% of her weight.

12 x 16 = 192 ozs / .03 = 5.76 ozs to feed per day. You need less than a cup a day.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:13 PM

Thanks I will look into that. She's not overweight but of course being part Pug that is something I need to watch.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:12 PM

267 posts, read 807,186 times
I have a 2.5 year old female pug. We've had her for a year and a half, and she's been fed the Prey Model Raw diet for almost all of that. She's currently about a pound overweight, so we've dropped to about 2.5% of her ideal body weight, one meal each day.

I would start with chicken, for a few weeks at least. Make sure you have boneless and bone in meals ready for her. Since the optimum ratio is 80 meat, 10 bone, 10 organ, we started her on lots of chicken breast and thigh. After she has settled down on the chicken, then add something else about 2 times per week for another few weeks, like pork or beef. Ground is fine, but make sure she's getting enough bone. After she's got a couple kinds of different protein in her diet, start adding small amounts of organ. We went straight for liver. She'll only eat chicken liver, not beef liver. Not sure why. But either is fine. Search around for different types of organ, but I think around half of all organ you feed should be liver.

Beyond that, over time you can add all kinds of things. I live in western NC and I hit the creek in my yard and catch her fresh trout. She loves it. Bones, head, eyes and all. Just throw it at her and after playing with it for a while she goes to town on it.

One other suggestion. Community is split on this, but I haven't heard any downside to it. I feed her everything frozen. Buy it, bring it home, cut it up in weighed out portions, bag it and freeze it. Firstly, what you buy lasts much longer of course, and it frees you up to purchase large portions when you find stuff on sale. But more importantly, I find it satisfies her more. If she downs her meal in 30 seconds, which is sometimes possible, she's left wanting. Freezing it means there is lots of licking and chewing (and regurgitating which tends to happen from time to time no matter what, especially with small breeds), and it takes her a good amount of time to eat. When she's done, she feels like she had a full satisfying meal.

Anyway, feel free to message me with any other questions. I can't promise a quick response...I'm in the mountains on dial up (ugh), so I don't check this stuff every day. But I will get back to you. Good luck, and feel comfort that you are doing the best thing you can for your pet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs