Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 07:15 AM

1 posts, read 5,523 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me a little bit about the Hibbing/Virginia area? We are relocating there and would love advice about where to choose housing etc..Is this a nice area to raise a family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 10:05 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
Of the two, I would pick Hibbing for housing. I haven't explored Virginia much, but it has an older, kind of dirty feel. Hibbing has some nice looking neighborhoods. No clue what any of them are called even though I lived there for 2 years. Not much to do in town. Our kids were very small when we lived there, and they loved going to the Hull Rust Mine and seeing the stuff there. The mall back in those days was pretty empty. About 5 or 6 stores total and then other places like a doctor's office, an eye clinic, etc. It's a nice sized small town and close to Duluth. What you can't find in Hibbing, you can generally find in either Virginia or Grand Rapids which are much closer than Duluth. We love Grand Rapids - it's a small town with a big town feel.

Activities seem to pretty much be outdoors activities, but then if you are looking for something special to do, you can go to Duluth. Lots of small towns to go check out too. Not that there's much to do in them either, but you may find some history. Near the Hull Rust Mine, you'll find the street signs and even some parts of foundations left from old Hibbing. The city was actually moved years ago. There's a nice park/playground area too. Cute little shops.

I would also pick Hibbing for the simple fact that it is between Virginia and Hibbing too. That way it's easy access to either town when looking for something to do.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:20 AM

3 posts, read 7,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blujngrl View Post
Can anyone tell me a little bit about the Hibbing/Virginia area? We are relocating there and would love advice about where to choose housing etc..Is this a nice area to raise a family?
I grew up in Chisholm and now currently live in Hibbing. As far as where to choose for housing I guess that would depend on your personal preferences, lifestyle, work location,...and if you prefer a small town, slightly bigger town, country,...and even more specific location preferences such as how far or remote in the country or what section of town. Sorry if that doesn't help much...lol

Old 03-03-2011, 05:11 PM

221 posts, read 1,194,007 times
I moved to the Iron Range (which is what this area is called) five and a half years ago. I knew nothing about it when I came. I first lived in Chisholm for 9 months, and since then have lived in a small town near Virginia.

The Iron Range is certainly unique! The environment is beautiful, the air is (mostly) clean, and the cost of living is low.

However, soon after I moved here I started calling it "Pittsburg in the Boonies", which is really true. The people who settled here came from the same countries as steel mill towns like Pittsburg - Slovenia, Croatia, Italy - and Finland. You wouldn't think that would matter in 2011, but the local folk's ethnic heritage is still a MAJOR part of their lives. The dominant religion is Catholicism, which is also a major part of local culture.

These immigrants came to do very hard physical labor in the mines and woods. It was and is a pretty rough life. People who are not born to one of the Iron Range immigrant families are known as "Pack Sackers". I think the name evolved because we are people who come here to enjoy the beautiful environment rather than to earn a living via very hard physical labor in the iron and taconite mines.

Even today, there is a certain group of local folks who will not accept you and your family because you are Pack Sackers. It will help if you are Catholic, though.

Your family will enjoy living here if they enjoy 4-wheeling, snowmobiling, fishing, hunting, and going to bars. There are an ABNORMALLY HIGH number of bars per population on the Range. That bothers me a great deal - it may not bother you.

Between Hibbing and Virginia I'd pick Hibbing - the town was once very wealthy and there are some beautiful homes and buildings from the 1920s - 1940s. Hibbing has some nice stores downtown, a nice variety of restaurants. There is also a mall which isn't full or used much. Hibbing has the local Wal-Mart. Chisholm is fairly close to Hibbing. I didn't like living there - it was my first introduction to the local hard living bar culture. There have been 2 recent killings due to bar fights in Chisholm.

Virginia is part of the Quad Cities - four towns which together have a population of about 18,000??? Mountain Iron is safe and fairly nice, although local politics is a circus! Eveleth is run down and there are bars bars bars. The kids in the area call it "Metheleth". Gilbert is the smallest and is mostly a bedroom community now. I think this area had less money than Hibbing, so it doesn't look as nice. The south side of Virginia is very crime ridden - DON'T live anywhere south of 8th Avenue!!! Virginia has Target and K-Mart.

Buhl is closer to Virginia than Hibbing. There are some very modern homes going up - but it is mostly a bedroom community. There is a juvenile detention facility there.

You don't have to live in one of the towns. Many people live in the country. Just make sure the septic system is up to code before you buy - and learn whether the County will plow you out in the Winter or if you have to do it yourself.

Of course, it depends what you want. Housing in the area can range from multimillion dollar homes on lakes to very cheap and run-down houses built by the mining companies for their workers in the early 20th century. Some of these have been modernized - most have not.

As for schools, both Hibbing and Virginia itself score fairly well (look this up on the state dept of education website - I forget where I found the info.) The smaller towns score lower.

I'm leaving the Iron Range - it's not for me. But you and your family might love it! Good luck!

Old 03-06-2011, 11:38 PM

24 posts, read 101,043 times
Lily, I think it's a good idea for you to leave the Range. I also see why you feel there is a certain group of people who will not accept you, but I doubt it is because you are a "Pack Sackers", whatever that is. Does that mean you live off the government, because that would explain it.

OP, Hibbing has an excellent school system, so your children will fare well. Will you be employed in Hibbing or Virginia because that will be a big factor during the winter. Personally, I would not live in Virginia because I see it as the poster above does.

Given the choice of "wherever", I would chose Grand Rapids, and for the reason the previous poster has stated.

You did not say what state/city you are leaving either, and knowing that would help to give you choices.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:00 PM

124 posts, read 326,411 times
I believe the term Pack Sackers is a derogatory term for those who came to work in the mines when they were very prosperous and were trying to hire people from all over to come and work there. The immigrants and their families who were already established here called the new people "Pack Sackers" (I guess because they brought their only belongings in backpacks or nap sacks of some sort?). Correct me on the origin of the term if I am wrong, but I know (from experience) that it is a term that is still alive today. And it is used in a derogatory manner.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:44 AM

9 posts, read 130,905 times
I grew up in Virginia and my husband grew up in Hibbing. Academically, I would consider the Hibbing school system to be better than Virginia - more college prep courses at the HS level, for instance. If you are a fan of private schools, there are more of those in Hibbing, too.

Some areas of Virginia have deteriorated since I lived there - in terms of drugs and crime [my family still lives there - I'm not just speculating!]. I'd stay away from Eveleth completely - for reasons that have already been discussed. If you do move to Virginia, look for places in the Ridgewood area or Northside. Mountain Iron/Buhl is good, too, although you should be aware that Buhl has no police force - they rely on officers from surrounding towns [my mom lives in Buhl, and that does not thrill me!]. In Hibbing, the area they call "Kittsville" is one that you would want to avoid.

As far as "stuff to do," as with any place you live, you need to get out and make your own fun! You can be just as bored living in a huge metropolitan area as you can in a small community. If you are into outdoor sports, the Range holds many possibilities...especially in the winter - skiing, snowmobiling, etc.

Hope that helps...

Old 04-29-2011, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 5,111 times
Definitely pick Hibbing, Virginia a close second. In Hibbing the desireable neighborhoods are pill hill (where doctors originally lived) and the Lebanon addition. Both are walkable distances to the Catholic elementary school, the high school and downtown. Some people live at Side Lake and commute in but the drive can be tough in the Winter. Lake front property is high and the lakes are overcrowded.

Winters and Spring can be rough, but if you like "the great outdoors" you can't go wrong. Just realize, like Lilyofthevalley wrote, it's a very close knit community, everyone knows everyone else, everyone has come from immigrant stock and there's not much of a cultural life. Duluth is about an hour away which will give you better theatres, etc.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,015 times
The rest of the posters obviously have never lived in Virginia...Even the posters that refer to the term of pack sacker...it is obvious that they live in Hibbing....If you are new to Hibbing you are never accepted....since moving to the range 6 years ago it is obvious when I meet people from Hibbing area compared to Virginia area...Hibbing people are overly arrogent about everything. I live in Virginia there are many nice areas. Midway has excellent homes and great neighborhoods. There is a new Menards and a newly renovated Target. The best school system on the range is Virginia....look up state test scores to prove it....The Virginia school district leads the way in technology integration. They have piloted an iPad Program that other schools are copying. Hibbing school district doesn't even have wifi in the school. Virginia has everything to offer without the arrogant attitude of the Hibbing elite
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth