Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 08:42 AM

4,620 posts, read 15,001,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Agree with all of the above PLUS:

Have you noticed that certain companies are changing their bill due dates or cycles to an off date, such as the 12 or 14th of the month so that if you routinely pay your bills once a month at the same time for all you could owe accrued late charges?
Yes! And it really really gets my goat when they set the closing date right after the 1st of the month with a due date before the end of the same month. I pay bills the first of the month - that is it - I do not have the time during the rest of the month to open a bill, pull out the checkbook, grab a stamp, record it in Quicken (and even if I wasn't a dinosaur and paid bills online, I still wouldn't have the time to do it in dribs and drabs throughout the month).

When closing dates/due dates are changed and they don't coincide with my paying cycle, I call the company and tell them. They can look at my account and see that I consistently pay at the first month and they usually put a note in my account. As it is, there's normally a "secret" grace period that some companies have but don't tell the customer about.

I will not pay late fees of any sort if I pay my bills within 30 days regardless of what they say is the due date. This determination has not gotten me in hot water (yet anyway :-) ... maybe I should knock on wood.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 12:38 AM

43 posts, read 109,950 times
its not just monthly bills but a lot of other business that do these sorts of things. I used to be a rental agent for a large car rental company. All the top selling agents used to just put insurance and other optional charges on the bill without disclosing them and have the customer sign them really quickly. Once people returned their car and received their bill some would complain but most wouldnt even pay attention. The agents would end up with a fat commision check and management was happy because sales numbers were being met. Sure they didnt encourage it but they didnt exactly take issue with it either.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:26 AM

81 posts, read 230,038 times
Yes this is really aggravating!!!!!!!!!!!! i wish they would stop

Old 06-24-2010, 09:45 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,939,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I've been out of the corporate world for a very long time, so I cannot recall how sales tax that's paid by a customer is internally recorded and then paid out to the respective states.

Thus, I begin to wonder about the $7 sales tax I was charged for the $100 worth of internet/phone equipment that eventually is supposed to be free. By all rights, that sales tax should be refunded to me and a -$7 should be recorded internally on the companies "spreadsheet" regarding the sales tax they've collected.

I think how easy it would be for a company to make an extra $7 off me depending on how they do their accounting. Multiply that measly $7 by millions of customers and, well, we can do the math.

As for the federally-imposed fees and nonfederally-imposed fees that glut our phone bills, it also just occurred to me that they're calculated on the charges before the promotional credits are subtracted. Again, more of my nickels and dimes are going into the profit pockets aren't they.

Crap - I'm sounding so darn cynical!
Kind of reminds you of that free car the companies often give away really.I have a firend that won a truck and then the state and feds wanted thier taxes sure enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics