Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 03:02 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,007,381 times

Advertisements

Not sure which thread to put this on but:

Driving down old route 66 in Gallup and saw one gas station that had a price posted that was 10 cents less the local competition; so pulled in and
inserted the plastic, which was taking a while, price on the pump was same as posted by the road.
After getting the card to work started to pump and Wham...what.. price changed to 10 Cents more.

Stopped pumping and went inside to take with the manager/owner and said what's the deal. Is a "bait and switch deal"
In his best mid-eastern voice said, sign a mistake..so sorry...to bad..
you pay price on pump.
I said in my best cowboy way: look Pal the posted price on the street said so much, but as I was explaining this his "helper" was out changing the price.

I informed him that the FTC, Better Bus, NBC, CBS, Fox news etc. would be in touch with him...also could not get a receipe from the pump..so
back in I am heading and want a receipt..again "so sorry" machine is broken.

Well by now I am getting a little Cowboy bent and tell him ok Pal
me and my pals won't be into his little old gas shack..

HW...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 03:05 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,687,683 times
All you have to do is call your states bureau of weights and measures (Sec. of State) and tell them that his business is not posting the true price on the pumps. The Sec. of State can fine him or close him down.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:01 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
I pulled into the gas station like that once, apparently the price was for paying in "cash"... and I pulled right back out and went to another gas station... I have a 5% rebates card and I got more with that 5% then with paying in "cash" plus the owner can avoid taxes by hiding cash from his taxes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics