Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 07:32 AM

507 posts, read 879,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This kid is in no position to be picky. Take what you can get, build on it any way you can, and hold on until the economy improves. Then be picky.

He'll be a very old man,say about 150, before the US economy "improves".
George Carlin said it best,"Its called the american dream because you have to be asleep to belive it".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 07:33 AM

507 posts, read 879,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits View Post
I agree that the kid is spoiled but is $175k combined household income truly considered "upper-class" in New England?

Not even upper-middle class.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:00 AM

917 posts, read 2,949,736 times
Speaking as a fellow millennial who understands how tough the job market is, that kid is a tool! I'm sorry, but if I were his parents, I would kick him out the second I found out he turned down a decent job because it didn't "pay enough" and wasn't prestigious enough. Yes, it's tough to get a cushy white collar job these days, but so what? I'm technically qualified to do much more difficult ones than the job I'm doing now but I have to compete with people with the same education and much more experience, so I'm getting the experience now and paying all my bills.

Honestly, I bet the kids who don't have parents to support them are the ones who will come out of this the strongest. They won't have a 2-3 year employment gap, they'll have real professional references (not just daddy's friends), and they'll have a much better understanding of the working world. A lot of companies promote internally, so even if you're starting low, you could easily work your way up. My partner, also a member of the young, supposedly doomed generation, has seen a 30% pay increase and multiple promotions over the last few years because he works really hard. He took a job (because it was a job) that he was massively overqualified for and worked his way up. What people like Scott seem to forget is that they won't be working in that entry level position forever if they have any gumption.

Most of our parents didn't start out with nice cushy salaries, so why do we think we can graduate from college and walk right into the lifestyle it took our parents years to attain? I do remember what it was like when my parents were young and it was tough. They made some smarter choices like staying out of debt and living within their means, so now they are in their 50s and pretty comfortable (and debt free). I made some financial mistakes as a young adult, but I'm working on them now with the knowledge that it will get better as I get older.

Ok, end of rant. Sorry, I can't stand spoiled kids who complain like that.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:48 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,269,150 times
This story reminds me of that story several months ago in the WSJ about the former bank CEO in Maryland who was unemployed for two years and still turned down the $140k per year job offer in Wyoming because it didn't come with a severance package.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:51 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,260,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaTado View Post
Speaking as a fellow millennial who understands how tough the job market is, that kid is a tool! I'm sorry, but if I were his parents, I would kick him out the second I found out he turned down a decent job because it didn't "pay enough" and wasn't prestigious enough. Yes, it's tough to get a cushy white collar job these days, but so what? I'm technically qualified to do much more difficult ones than the job I'm doing now but I have to compete with people with the same education and much more experience, so I'm getting the experience now and paying all my bills.

Honestly, I bet the kids who don't have parents to support them are the ones who will come out of this the strongest. They won't have a 2-3 year employment gap, they'll have real professional references (not just daddy's friends), and they'll have a much better understanding of the working world. A lot of companies promote internally, so even if you're starting low, you could easily work your way up. My partner, also a member of the young, supposedly doomed generation, has seen a 30% pay increase and multiple promotions over the last few years because he works really hard. He took a job (because it was a job) that he was massively overqualified for and worked his way up. What people like Scott seem to forget is that they won't be working in that entry level position forever if they have any gumption.

Most of our parents didn't start out with nice cushy salaries, so why do we think we can graduate from college and walk right into the lifestyle it took our parents years to attain? I do remember what it was like when my parents were young and it was tough. They made some smarter choices like staying out of debt and living within their means, so now they are in their 50s and pretty comfortable (and debt free). I made some financial mistakes as a young adult, but I'm working on them now with the knowledge that it will get better as I get older.

Ok, end of rant. Sorry, I can't stand spoiled kids who complain like that.
Good post

Old 07-07-2010, 09:16 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,753,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post
little scott nicholson needs to screw his head on tighter. i am 2 years older than him, and i'm pretty sure i wasn't that stupid when i graduated.

you get a $40k/year job offer out of school, in this labor market? you have no other options? why would you turn it down? "holding out" ? hah, a real negotiator here. give me a break.

i'm slightly bothered by the new york times. they like to take these lame human-interest stories and extrapolate them, as if they represented a trend. some aspects are true. "millenials" seem to be too attached to their parents. i know far too many people my age, with college degrees, whose parents pay for their cell phone bills, and provide a credit card, et cetera. A solid portion of the people I know, rather than living a frugal lifestyle on their own, have the option to live a middle class/upper middle class lifestyle with the help of their parents. Survival is one thing, but I could never respect myself, knowing that my parents money supported a certain lifestyle at age 25 or 30.

Quote:
“I view what is happening to Scott with dismay,” said the grandfather, who has concluded, in part from reading The Economist, that Europe has surpassed America in offering opportunity for an ambitious young man.
however.. it sounds like he gets his terrible decision making from his ol' grampa. I read the economist too, and you'd be hard pressed to come to the conclusion that Europe has more opportunity than America for an ambitious young man. I haven't the faintest idea how he arrived at that conclusion.

Last edited by le roi; 07-07-2010 at 09:29 AM..

Old 07-07-2010, 09:43 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,863,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
What the bleep are they doing? Being frozen and thawed later when the economy gets better?
Since the group includes the 19-24 year old age bracket, a fair number of those 23% who aren't seeking a job are probably in school or going back to school in hopes next hiring season is better.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:46 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,831,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
little scott nicholson needs to screw his head on tighter. i am 2 years older than him, and i'm pretty sure i wasn't that stupid when i graduated.

you get a $40k/year job offer out of school, in this labor market? you have no other options? why would you turn it down? "holding out" ? hah, a real negotiator here. give me a break.

i'm slightly bothered by the new york times. they like to take these lame human-interest stories and extrapolate them, as if they represented a trend. some aspects are true. "millenials" seem to be too attached to their parents. i know far too many people my age, with college degrees, whose parents pay for their cell phone bills, and provide a credit card, et cetera. A solid portion of the people I know, rather than living a frugal lifestyle on their own, have the option to live a middle class/upper middle class lifestyle with the help of their parents. Survival is one thing, but I could never respect myself, knowing that my parents money supported a certain lifestyle at age 25 or 30.

however.. it sounds like he gets his terrible decision making from his ol' grampa. I read the economist too, and you'd be hard pressed to come to the conclusion that Europe has more opportunity than America for an ambitious young man. I haven't the faintest idea how he arrived at that conclusion.
I agree. It sounds like the kid isn't joining the world because he doesn't want or have to. Hell, I'd turn down a 40K a year grunt job if my well-to-do mommy and daddy were paying for everything too. How does he expect to get anything better with no experience?! This is an epic fail on the part of the kid's parents and a prime example of what's wrong with "pie in the sky" expectations that are so prevalent in today's society.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:08 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,405,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
This story reminds me of that story several months ago in the WSJ about the former bank CEO in Maryland who was unemployed for two years and still turned down the $140k per year job offer in Wyoming because it didn't come with a severance package.

Link, please?

Old 07-07-2010, 11:13 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,405,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars99 View Post

The number of comments under the article is up over 900(!) now, mostly negative. The family probably thought someone would give him a job after reading the article. That plan may have backfired.

Having said that, haven't we all done foolish things at a young age? It seems a bit harsh the way some people were jumping all over the kid for not taking the insurance job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics