Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:15 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,424,911 times

Advertisements

I've been in a 2 month dispute with a car/homeowner insurance company and after battling them for a refund, I've been forced to take them to small claims court.

I'm only 24 and haven't had any experience with anything court related before. Can anyone tell me what small claims court is like? Is it private or are you in a room with a lot of other people waiting for their turn with the judge? How long do you get with the judge? Do both sides have a few minutes to present their case or does the judge review the case before you even come before him/her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 10:30 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
It depends on where you do it and how busy the court is. But yes, you'll usually be in front of a judge, in a courtroom setting. Often times you can do mediation and cut a deal out of court as well.

In my city they use pro-temp judges; usually attorneys moonlighting as judges for experience. There are lots of good books on the subject... start getting educated or the lawyer(s) for the insurance company will eat you alive in there. Good luck!

Old 07-28-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It depends on where you do it and how busy the court is. But yes, you'll usually be in front of a judge, in a courtroom setting. Often times you can do mediation and cut a deal out of court as well.

In my city they use pro-temp judges; usually attorneys moonlighting as judges for experience. There are lots of good books on the subject... start getting educated or the lawyer(s) for the insurance company will eat you alive in there. Good luck!
In small claims court (or at least the one I'm going to in Arizona), you're not allowed to have a lawyer, so I know I have that going for me. I've been told a rep from the company will be the only person allowed there.

I have a 99% chance of winning this case. Not because I'm cocky, but because they KNOW they owe me the money, the just keep sending it to the wrong address and made out to the wrong people. Taking them to court was my last resort after the half dozen mistakes they've made along the way.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:44 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times
I have been to small claims court several times. You will be in a room with others waiting your turn. When the judge calls your case number, both side are asked if they are present. If both parties are there, the judge sends them to another room with an arbitrator to see if the case can be solved without wasting the courts time. If one party doesn't show up, then you present your evidence to the judge, and he will make a decision.
No way will you see the judge unless the arbitrator can't solve the problem. It's rare that they can't. They try hard to resolve the case before wasting the judges time.
The key is having a paper trail, make sure you have every bit of evidence. You need real evidence, keep records, have copies of emails. real stuff you can show the judge, not just words...
Most cases, if the parties have good evidence, the arbitrator will make the decision and it's over. They try hard to keep you from appearing in front of the judge.
If you win, it's still up to you to collect. If they refuse to pay, you have to put a lien on any property they may have, but you have to do all the leg work to get information about the property you wish to lien.
In other words, even winning doesn't guarantee you will ever get any money. If the person is a deadbeat, it's probably a waste of time and money to sue.
The whole key to winning is to have a paper trail proving your case..

Old 07-28-2010, 06:18 PM

23,599 posts, read 12,543,921 times
Donn gave a good answer. I just wanted to add that small claims court are generally not as stiff and formal as higher courts. Your best bet would be to look up the courts online to find out when the next hearing is, hopefully you can find one with the judge that you will have if you know who that is at this time, and then go to sit and watch to see how things are handled in the courtroom setting.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:23 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times
A sidenote, if you have time. Before I went the frst time, I attended several sessions of SCC, just see how the game was played. It's much more comfortable to know what is coming before you must appear...
At least go once if you can. It's kinda fun.....

Old 07-29-2010, 02:45 PM

Great ideas Donn2390 and berdee. I will most definitely go to a few hearings so I can get a feel for the location and process.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:16 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
In small claims court (or at least the one I'm going to in Arizona), you're not allowed to have a lawyer, so I know I have that going for me. I've been told a rep from the company will be the only person allowed there.,,,, .
It just so happens the rep is a attorney thou. Be careful.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:20 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
I think it's going to be how it's set up in your area. The advice to go and sit through a session is a good one.

I was on a six person "jury" in a small claims court once. We listened to the complaint, then I think the judge gave his ruling and we were asked if we agreed or disagreed. All the rulings seemed correct to me. We all agreed for each case.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:51 PM

Update:
Approximately one month after sending the papers to the company I'm suing, I got a letter from an attorney here in town stating that XXXCompany is denying all allegations and do not owe me anything.

Figuring this is just a stock letter, I called the attorney. He seemed surprised I was calling and said he'd call the company and get more information.

The next day he called back and said the did indeed owe me money and would be willing to pay me exactly what they owe me plus $44 for court costs related to filing the suit. I did not accept. I told him the company should be held liable for the time I've spent trying to fix this issue and merely paying me what they owe me wouldn't be "settling".

He called me back again after talking to the company and we've finally reached an agreement. In the end, I'll be getting double what they originally owed me. I should have the check by Tuesday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics