Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 06:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,321 times

Advertisements

I am a business owner and tax-paying citizen of DeKalb County, Decatur, Georgia. I have been unsuccessful in my search of an ethical attorney who practices contract law. To my great misfortune, I am in litigation with construction scam artists and a white racists attorney who has pulled a number on me himself. The attorney took my case with promises of working ethically on my behalf. Once he received his retainer, not only did he work against me, but he boldly told me to my face, "I need to understand that the Courts do not respect me, not just because I am black, but because I am a woman." This attorney has done nothing as promised, and nothing to justify the retainer fee which he was paid in good faith.

Kindly help me in my urgent search for a competent, ethical attorney who will work for me to win my case and to obtain my funds back from the unethical attorney who with willful knowledge and obvious intent, stole my money under false pretense. I fully intend to turn over all documentation and information necessary to the Georgia Bar Association regarding this attorney as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 07:54 AM

79 posts, read 286,030 times
How about contacting the state bar in your state and ask for what legal avenues and referrals?

Old 11-07-2007, 12:59 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,035 times
Isn't that an oxy moron

Old 11-07-2007, 01:31 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,105,648 times
The whole world is seeking an ethical attorney.......

Old 11-07-2007, 04:07 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,090 times
I would suggest that you write a letter to the State Bar of Georgia detailing what has happened. Prior to doing that, I would recommend you write a letter to your previous attorney, outlining his failed representation and demand the return of the retainer paid to him/her. I would give him 5 business days to return the retainer. Send letter certified return receipt and also fax a copy to him. He will attempt to contact you via telephone, I would suggest that you don't take his call or engage him in discussion which will force him to respond to you in writing. If he's dumb, he won't respond at all, then you do the letter to the State Bar and attach a copy of your letter, proof of delivery along with a copy of the payment made to him.

In the meantime, you might try to find referrals through the Bar for another attorney to handle your matter. Finally, I wouldn't recommend bashing the old attorney either with your other prospects - just say that you were not satisfied with his representation.

Just my 2cents - when you meet with attorneys, they should explain to you in detail what they plan to do in your case. No attorney can promise you that he/she is going to win you case however, before forking over retainers, you as a consumer should be clear and fully understand what he/she is going to do for you.

Good luck.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:43 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,849,411 times
Ethical is not a word I would use to describe an attorney. As stated before, it is an oxymoron.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:39 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,203 times
In the first place, most of the understanding the public has of lawyers comes from their television shows. It isn't exactly an enlightened view of reality, but this is the same American populace that can neither balance their checkbooks nor see their way through simple reasoning concepts.

Secondly, lawyers make money by arguing for you. In most cases there is a logic behind the law that goes against the general stupidity of the public, which feels that it "ought" to know what is right and what is wrong.

Lastly, most attorneys are ethical. If you have an actual complaint, take it to your state bar. Otherwise I fail to see why someone would run a business if they didn't have even the most basic concepts of contract law under control.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:54 PM

In my line of work... if a lawyer wants to talk to you, its not a good thing. They don't make money for me either, and I am not into frivolous lawsuits. If I wanted to sue, I could make millions but I have a thing called a conscience and an ethical wife who would never let me do something like that. In terms of lawyers, the ones that I have the MOST frequent contact with concern themselves with frivolous lawsuits (as by all their TV ads), protecting criminals (even when they knew their client was guilty), and making money off of you because laws dictate that one must be involved with whatever your dealings are. If there is an ethical lawyer, I have not seen one yet. Perhaps, they are all hiding from the unethical ones which is all I see.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:19 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
In my line of work... if a lawyer wants to talk to you, its not a good thing. They don't make money for me either, and I am not into frivolous lawsuits. If I wanted to sue, I could make millions but I have a thing called a conscience and an ethical wife who would never let me do something like that. In terms of lawyers, the ones that I have the MOST frequent contact with concern themselves with frivolous lawsuits (as by all their TV ads), protecting criminals (even when they knew their client was guilty), and making money off of you because laws dictate that one must be involved with whatever your dealings are. If there is an ethical lawyer, I have not seen one yet. Perhaps, they are all hiding from the unethical ones which is all I see.
I disagree. Where are you living? Civil litigation and criminal defense work only represents a small fraction of practicing attorneys.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:23 PM

In Ohio at the moment...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics