Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 10:49 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times

Advertisements

Phillip T and Jazzlover you both make a good counter to my argument.
GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 06:51 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,986,432 times
Price is not going to be the concern as much as availability.
Once the OPEC Kings are dethroned, the Islam extremes will cut off shipments to the US and rationing will become the norm.

The collapse of our financial system will be blamed on foreign entities manipulating oil contracts. China will fill the gap and oil will no longer trade in dollars.

It would take about a 10% cut in supply to set off this chain of implosion.
Hugo would see the benefits of going along with the energy starvation of America in order to gain more South American power.

10 dollar gas 12 dollar diesel is a guarantee at this point. Getting your truck or car filled is not.

Riots in the streets of L.A. by this Summer.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:24 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Once the OPEC Kings are dethroned, the Islam extremes will cut off shipments to the US and rationing will become the norm.
That would be the quickest way to get dethroned again. Their people wouldn't give a **** that Americans are rationing gas 9000 miles away if they are starving and worried about foreign military intervention after cutting off export partners.

Quote:
Riots in the streets of L.A. by this Summer.
You and bchris02 both come back to the forum this summer and wave at us all.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:26 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
It makes me wonder if the folks in charge have a Death Wish.

GL2
That's what I think when I hear of plans for more nuclear power plants.

Follow the news threads of the Vermont Yankee Nuclear Power Plant.
We here have plenty to worry about.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
You really have no idea what you are wishing for. $10/gas on top of the other problems we now face would cause an disastrous economic downturn that would take decades to recover from.
I agree, but the price is going that way anyway so why wait for it to destroy us. Why don't the politicians get off their duffs and start subsidizing alternative energy sources now. I think we know the answer to that.

Every tech revolution moves millions ahead and leaves millions in the dust. I fear that many of us may be left in the dust, unless we determine now to become independent, somehow, of oil either foreign (violent wars) or domestic (a wrecked environment and a foreseeable end to a precious resource).

Old 02-25-2011, 10:49 AM

698 posts, read 1,509,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I do not think you really know what that takes and I also believe that if fuel went that high you would be screaming so high.

Also, what sense does it make to use other expensive measures when less expensive one can be used and are available in our own territory?, take care.
Well considering I already pay more at the pump than the rest of the country I actually do know what it takes. I adjusted from driving everywhere to walking to work and taking the bus. Gas prices in Hawaii are the highest in the country and guess what, everyone seems to be doing pretty good. I still see plenty of people driving big suv's and trucks. $10 a gallon is definitely high, but the point I was trying to make is that high gas prices create the incentive to innovate new technologies for more energy efficient vehicles.

I would say the fact that people protesting for freedom millions of miles away on another continent could affect our economy negatively is a perfect reason for moving to another energy source or tapping our own oil reserves.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:39 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
Well considering I already pay more at the pump than the rest of the country I actually do know what it takes. I adjusted from driving everywhere to walking to work and taking the bus. Gas prices in Hawaii are the highest in the country and guess what, everyone seems to be doing pretty good. I still see plenty of people driving big suv's and trucks. $10 a gallon is definitely high, but the point I was trying to make is that high gas prices create the incentive to innovate new technologies for more energy efficient vehicles.

I would say the fact that people protesting for freedom millions of miles away on another continent could affect our economy negatively is a perfect reason for moving to another energy source or tapping our own oil reserves.
You are only thinking in your own personal situation. Also in terms of part of the population with SUVs. However, the great majority cannot afford gas as you may be able to.

Another thing. High gas prices do not only affect driving for your personal needs. It affects transportaion of fodd, clothing, and many other commodities. Guess what? They will go up in price also. That will also definitely affect the people's pocket, take care.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:48 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,735,161 times
The problem with alternative energy, is having it available at a reasonable price. Even now if you look at it and work the #'s, they get you coming or get you going:
-Electric car conversion:
The average commute in a fairly built lead acid EV conversion uses 10,000 watts of power. Work that # with your utility rate, pro-rate replacing the batteries every few years, and you might save the equivelent of 25 cents a gallon compared to a 30mpg car, nevermind the cost of the conversion itself...
-Propane
Propane is a byproduct of manufacturing, has a higher fuel value(can be burned leaner at optimum air/fuel ratio) but has less BTU's.
It will get you to work just fine. However it's currently priced $2.30-$3.00 a gallon with limited service and locations.
Diesel:
Diesel is formed with far less process than gasoline, but has more fuel value like propane and higher energy content. Everything we buy moves via diesel one way or another and they know it, so you pay for it.

I'm confident that unless government steps in and starts re-regulating energy, it doens't matter what it is, you'll get bent over as far as possible for it.

My family has 2 Civic's and one 27mpg SUV, I don't worry about gas too much. I do worry about the prices of food and consumables.
We don't have to worry about $10/gallon gas, our economy won't make it past $5 again without tanking.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
The problem with alternative energy, is having it available at a reasonable price. Even now if you look at it and work the #'s, they get you coming or get you going:
-Electric car conversion:
The average commute in a fairly built lead acid EV conversion uses 10,000 watts of power. Work that # with your utility rate, pro-rate replacing the batteries every few years, and you might save the equivelent of 25 cents a gallon compared to a 30mpg car, nevermind the cost of the conversion itself...
-Propane
Propane is a byproduct of manufacturing, has a higher fuel value(can be burned leaner at optimum air/fuel ratio) but has less BTU's.
It will get you to work just fine. However it's currently priced $2.30-$3.00 a gallon with limited service and locations.
Diesel:
Diesel is formed with far less process than gasoline, but has more fuel value like propane and higher energy content. Everything we buy moves via diesel one way or another and they know it, so you pay for it.

I'm confident that unless government steps in and starts re-regulating energy, it doens't matter what it is, you'll get bent over as far as possible for it.

My family has 2 Civic's and one 27mpg SUV, I don't worry about gas too much. I do worry about the prices of food and consumables.
We don't have to worry about $10/gallon gas, our economy won't make it past $5 again without tanking.
Interesting points, all. I do wonder about your final sentence, and I hope it's true. Why do you think that would be?

Old 03-01-2011, 07:22 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I agree, but the price is going that way anyway so why wait for it to destroy us. Why don't the politicians get off their duffs and start subsidizing alternative energy sources now. I think we know the answer to that.

Every tech revolution moves millions ahead and leaves millions in the dust. I fear that many of us may be left in the dust, unless we determine now to become independent, somehow, of oil either foreign (violent wars) or domestic (a wrecked environment and a foreseeable end to a precious resource).
I think we will probably see a scenario that is closer to Europe than what we have now.
More people at the bottom of the wealth curve will be pushed into public transportation, with the wealthy continuing to enjoy private cars.
The problem is not that we do not have the technology to increase our energy efficiency, we do, it is that the people, who profit from the status quo, are in charge of the politicians, and therefore the government’s policies.
What we are experiencing now is what happens to a population that no longer has the courage or the intelligence to stand up for its own interest. The majority of sheeple really believe the government is looking out for their best interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics