Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 08:45 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,483,397 times

Advertisements

An excellent article that anyone interested in financial matters here in the USA should take a look at. A short read, and a good one:

John Williams Exclusive - Hyperinflation & US Dollar Collapse

For those who have not heard of him, John Williams of Shadowstats (dot com) is a renowned financial statistician who has continued publishing M3 long after the Fed discontinued publishing it, on the grounds that it was no longer relevant. Williams has proven that indeed, it is relevant today.

In this interview, he speaks of hyperinflation, the collapse of the USD, and steps every American should take to prepare. It may take some of you out of your comfort zone, but this is one man whose opinions and statistical analysis should not be dismissed lightly.

Last edited by Nor'Eastah; 05-21-2011 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: bad link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 01:53 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,298,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
An excellent article that anyone interested in financial matters here in the USA should take a look at. A short read, and a good one:

John Williams Exclusive - Hyperinflation & US Dollar Collapse

For those who have not heard of him, John Williams of Shadowstats (dot com) is a renowned financial statistician who has continued publishing M3 long after the Fed discontinued publishing it, on the grounds that it was no longer relevant. Williams has proven that indeed, it is relevant today.

In this interview, he speaks of hyperinflation, the collapse of the USD, and steps every American should take to prepare. It may take some of you out of your comfort zone, but this is one man whose opinions and statistical analysis should not be dismissed lightly.

Where was your outrage during the administration of Bush 43 when this economic slide started?

The administration of George W. Bush Jr. was responsible for an over 50% increase in the number of people getting food stamps. The largest increase of any two term presidential administration since they started keeping records.

Can you explain to me how you get serious inflationary pressure in an economy without wage growth?

I just don't see "hyperinflation" without wage growth. Even with rising commodity prices the lack of corresponding increases in wages eventually blunts the demand for those commodities and puts the break on those prices.

Also in terms of dollar devaluation the countries with the currencies showing the appreciation versus the U.S. i.e. Australia, New Zealand, and Canada tend to have the appreciation of their currencies tied to currencies and somewhat healthy economic growth. The fact that China pegs its currency to the United States dollar also tends to blunt inflationary pressure.

The real test will be what happens when QE2 ends and how it affects the valuation of the dollar. It will also be interesting to see what happens with the debt ceiling.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:38 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post

Can you explain to me how you get serious inflationary pressure in an economy without wage growth?

I just don't see "hyperinflation" without wage growth..
Do you literally mean "wage growth", or do you mean "income growth"? They are not the same thing. Aggregate income of Americans is rising, with the potential for increase in spending, but that would not necessarily mean that "wages" are increasing, if all of the increase is represented by capital gains and/or executive salaries, contracts and bonuses. Inflation is income-driven, not wage-driven.

We have, over the past half century, experienced wage contraction, when adjusted for inflation, which has marched ahead in spite of a lack of wage growth.

In 1953 my dad, an unskilled, uneducated worker on a factory floor, paid 15% of his income to rent a comfortable house, and bought a new Dodge sedan for 3 months wages. There's been plenty of inflation, but where's the necessary wage growth that drives it?

Last edited by jtur88; 05-22-2011 at 08:49 AM..

Old 05-22-2011, 09:31 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,627,673 times
The link doesn't take me to an article, just a page with ads on it. Can u paste the article on this forum?

Old 05-22-2011, 09:41 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
Here is new audio interview with John Williams on May 12th. This is very interesting as he is definitely predicting hyperinflation:

http://radiolibertyarchives.gsradio....80/051211c.mp3

Old 05-22-2011, 08:24 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,146,216 times
How many years has he said hyperinflation will happen in the next few months?

Old 05-22-2011, 11:32 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,878,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
How many years has he said hyperinflation will happen in the next few months?
An idiot only has to be partially right once to boast about it for a decade or two.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:07 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,581 times
I don't see it happening anytime soon. The govt. and the Fed could hold the house of cards up for 100 years or more even piling on the debt at the current rate.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:03 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,051,528 times
There's no analysis anywhere, just a few paragraphs of "OMG HYPERINFLATION" repeated in different ways.

The guy has been predicting it for years, about every time he writes in his idiot blog it's "just about to happen".

He is a great case for the phrase "Those the gods wish to destroy, they first drive mad". He claims repeatedly that every shred of economic data the government puts out is "grossly inaccurate", which he then posts older measures for various indicators. Even though those stats are very clearly published (such as U4/6 are very clearly at the BLS site) and he has never published why or how that data is grossly inaccurate.

I wonder where he gets his data, since I doubt he has a large staff to count everything independently from the various entities that collect the data already. Even though it seems like his blog is the only thing keeping him busy anymore.

I guess to a true believer it is always accurate as long as it says what they believe already.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:50 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,194,543 times
Ah but he is a " a renowned financial statistician"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics