Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 02:10 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,290,858 times

Advertisements

Consumers in U.S. Relying on Credit as Inflation Erodes Incomes - Bloomberg

While some people try to put a positive spin on the increase in credit card spending, this article points out that much of what is being purchased on credit today are day to day expenses made necessary by the poor economy.
That means the poor are being penalized another 20%+ and possibly much more if they have a low credit rating.
For many who are still carrying balances from the days of 2.99% and 0% rollovers, the trap is sprung and they are at the mercy of bankers who have none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 02:24 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
these great credit users are doing their part to stimulate the economy.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:59 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,549,537 times
And in the end will never re-pay the principle nor the ridiculous interest charges, pushing the failing bank one step deeper.

A beautiful thing, all-in-all.

Burn, baby, burn.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:57 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,092,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
For many who are still carrying balances from the days of 2.99% and 0% rollovers, the trap is sprung and they are at the mercy of bankers who have none.
Those days ended? I get an offer for 0% in the mail almost every week, in fact they are starting to get even better. Citi-bank is now offering 0% for almost 2 years.

Anyhow, I have always wondered to what degree increased credit card spending in response to increased costs plays a role in distorting short-term inflation. That is, credit allows more wild swings in the costs of some items because people don't have to immediately adjust to the price increases, it is only after time that they will have to adjust their consumption.

Its going to be funny watching everyone wonder where the "hyper inflation" went in 6~12 months.... The economic and political discourse in this country just gets weirder and weirder....

Old 07-25-2011, 06:57 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,290,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Those days ended? I get an offer for 0% in the mail almost every week, in fact they are starting to get even better. Citi-bank is now offering 0% for almost 2 years.

Anyhow, I have always wondered to what degree increased credit card spending in response to increased costs plays a role in distorting short-term inflation. That is, credit allows more wild swings in the costs of some items because people don't have to immediately adjust to the price increases, it is only after time that they will have to adjust their consumption.

Its going to be funny watching everyone wonder where the "hyper inflation" went in 6~12 months.... The economic and political discourse in this country just gets weirder and weirder....
Interesting point about the relationship of credit purchasing and perceived rate of inflation.
If you are getting 0% offers it is only because you do not need the credit, and the banks know it, if you were struggling to make your payments (which is a large portion of the population) they would be taking advantage of the situation
Hyper inflation could still be a possibility although I have never considered it likely due to the cost destruction going on through deleveraging.
It is possible though... if the egomaniacs in DC screw up the budget deal, and cause a large spike in interest rates.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:09 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,633,737 times
I didn't read the article, but keep in mind the increase could be due to special incentives offered by the banks that issue the cards. I use my credit card like crazy because I get back 1.25 points for every dollar I spend. I use the card for everything imaginable from car insurance to the electricity bill. The banks end up paying me money to use the card instead of the reverse.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:46 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,639 times
Quote:
I think between my husband and myself we get one nearly everyday - preapproved, zero percent on new purchases and transfers for 18 months......

We do have some family members living on and rotating their high interest cards.... bot only do they pay more in interest, they pay more from the get-go. I use my Macy's/Kohls cards every now and then, I get a cheaper price than someone paying cash (I pay them at the register with a check)

Recently , we bought a washer/dryer and I noticed several stores (Sears in particular) offered a cheaper price if you used credit to purchase the set...

Old 07-25-2011, 08:59 AM

78,434 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Consumers in U.S. Relying on Credit as Inflation Erodes Incomes - Bloomberg

While some people try to put a positive spin on the increase in credit card spending, this article points out that much of what is being purchased on credit today are day to day expenses made necessary by the poor economy.
That means the poor are being penalized another 20%+ and possibly much more if they have a low credit rating.
No one is forced to use a credit card. If however your argument is that they NEED things like food and to pay the electric bill etc. I'm left wondering why the alternative of having them go without those things is better?

Credit is a double edged sword like many things in life. If you restrict it, people complain, if you don't people will complain....frankly being a person that favors personal liberty I'd rather have access to credit and then take personal responsibility for myself.

Outside of reasonable safeguards I'm glad I don't live in a country where we are allowed all the choices we want along with zero responsibility....as that is unsustainable.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:02 AM

78,434 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I think between my husband and myself we get one nearly everyday - preapproved, zero percent on new purchases and transfers for 18 months......

We do have some family members living on and rotating their high interest cards.... bot only do they pay more in interest, they pay more from the get-go. I use my Macy's/Kohls cards every now and then, I get a cheaper price than someone paying cash (I pay them at the register with a check)

Recently , we bought a washer/dryer and I noticed several stores (Sears in particular) offered a cheaper price if you used credit to purchase the set...
^^^Yep, this has gone on forever back to the days of buying as part of a christmas club, layaway or making payments....heck I bet the ancient romans or greeks had something like this.

I remember as a very little child going to the laundramat with my mom to wash clothes until we could afford a washer\dryer of our own. (early 1970's)

Old 07-25-2011, 11:38 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
[quote=Mathguy;20166422

I remember as a very little child going to the laundramat with my mom to wash clothes until we could afford a washer\dryer of our own. (early 1970's)
[/QUOTE]

Have you been to a laundromat lately and seen what it might cost if you did a week's worth of family wash there today? In about 3 months you would have paid as much for a basic washing machine. (I know the actual cost b/c in my recent move I didn't have my washer hooked up for several weeks.) There are very few ways to live cheaply any more. That is why so many families must rely on credit, for the basic necessities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics