Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 03:08 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No, I did not. You did. You insisted that movie tickets were 65c...
I insisted that because that was the price of a movie in the cited time period, its not a number I pulled out of a hat....I looked it up.

Quote:
Here are some pictures of things whose prices I "can't remember", but turn out to be exactly what I said they were..
Except of course the pictures don't tell you anything. With the exception of gas (which was around .25 in the 1950's) all the things you cited have a big variation in price and the average prices were higher than .25. For example, the cost of a paper-back is going to depend on the Author and size.

Also, looking at food menus is highly deceptive, food portions where smaller in the 1950's than they are today. Same goes with movies, movie studies spend far more making films today then they did in the past and the theaters themselves have become nicer as well. Heck, even gas today is different! Today's gas is refined better and produces less pollution and this raises the costs.

Still $2 wasn't enough to pay for 4 movie ticket, etc in the 1950's...

All this "the past was better" nonsense is based on failing to make apples-to-apples comparisons. Many things have changed over the last 50~60 years, you just can't pretend like homes today were just like homes built in the 1950's...and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Today a much larger share of people’s income today goes to taxes, and payments of items bought on credit that would otherwise be available to improve their lifestyle.
Perhaps on the credit, but totally wrong on taxes. Income taxes were noticeably higher before neo-conservative dogma started to take hold in US government (starting with Reagan). In the 1950's the lowest tax rate was 22% and the highest was 91%, today the lowest is 10% and the highest is 35%.

The Tax Foundation - U.S. Federal Individual Income Tax Rates History, 1913-2011

Old 08-23-2011, 04:10 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I insisted that because that was the price of a movie in the cited time period, its not a number I pulled out of a hat....I looked it up.

Except of course the pictures don't tell you anything. .
OK, have it your way, I lied, OK? Have a nice day.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-23-2011 at 04:19 PM..

Old 08-23-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
OK, have it your way, I lied, OK? Have a nice day.
As I said before, I never suggested people were lying, instead I suggested that your memories aren't inaccurate.

You can almost be guaranteed that 50 year old memories aren't going to be accurate, this is a scientific reality that I guess hasn't filtered into mainstream culture.....

Old 08-23-2011, 08:55 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
As I said before, I never suggested people were lying, instead I suggested that your memories aren't inaccurate.

You can almost be guaranteed that 50 year old memories aren't going to be accurate, this is a scientific reality that I guess hasn't filtered into mainstream culture.....
Citation, please. Surely, a "reality" that comprehensive and universal and significant would be the subject of a well-documented and peer-reviewed source that you can share with us.

Come back when you have something better than a bunch of wild, unsubstantiated generalizations that you feel compelled to apply uniformly to everyone who is of a different opinion from yours regarding subjects that you know absolutely nothing about..

Last edited by jtur88; 08-23-2011 at 09:06 PM..

Old 08-23-2011, 09:41 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Back on topic, I think the employment picture has permanently shifted in favor of thought workers. What does my spouse do all day? He designs and trouble-shoots the corporate computer systems that allow you to get money from an ATM, order airline tickets, catch a train, call emergency services, take an on-line class, trade stocks, receive natural gas to power your household appliances, scan your groceries in the checkout lane, retrieve your voice mail, and even watch Netflix, among many other daily tasks you (and I) frequently take for granted. The day may find him tagging along on a sales call, researching a client's needs, hunched over his keyboard madly typing code, physically swapping computer components, taking a class to keep his knowledge up-to-date, flying across the country to present a proposal, overseeing an installation, managing an outage, doing an audit, or writing documentation. His compensation is more than adequate to meet the needs of our family.

Jtur, you remind me a bit of my MIL, who hasn't a clue what her son does for a living and still thinks that an MBA and a suit are his ticket to success. She'd probably faint dead away if she knew how much her khaki-clad progeny earns per year.

BTW, in the last month I have had a lamp and dining chair repaired. Next week, a repairman is coming to replace the bed of my treadmill. I dropped off a pair of my favorite boots to be resoled yesterday in preparation for the return of cold weather. We've also had five shirts, two pairs of pants, and a dress tailored recently. And that reminds me that I need to order a new motor for our thirty-year-old humidifier tomorrow, along with calling our HVAC guy, who graciously offered to weld a broken doll bed of my daughter's. So, yes, people do have things repaired, even today.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 08-23-2011 at 11:04 PM..

Old 08-24-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Citation, please. Surely, a "reality" that comprehensive and universal and significant would be the subject of a well-documented and peer-reviewed source that you can share with us.
Right and if you took one minute to look it up you'd find it....

The Seven Sins of Memory | Psychology Today

I'm not sure what "wild" claims I've made, everything has been pretty straight forward. You've done little but appeal to your childhood memories. You guys ignore the data and instead rely on decades old memories of your family life....

Old 08-24-2011, 12:41 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
What are all those people doing who have jobs?
Waiting to get outsourced.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:43 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
yes, people do have things repaired, even today.
And those with the skills to fix things will not be lacking work. You can't afford to send a welding job on your car to India.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:06 AM

21 posts, read 28,078 times
Time has been changed.50 years ago, the work which was done by human, now a machine is doing..And everything happened just to save the time..n you asked what do the peoples do whole day…So they operate these machines and make able to complete the whole task. A machine is doing whole task now but who is behind them. Those people who are sitting in front or behind them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics