Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 08:40 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

I debated if this belonged in the travel forum, the general US forum the politics and other controversies forum or this one.

I'm interested in how you think your state will/won't be impacted by high gasoline prices in areas within the state where travel and tourism is the major industry as Memorial Day approaches.

Do you see a huge drop off in business, a moderate drop off in business or no drop off in business attributed to high gasoline prices?

Will it be different for big city tourism compared to national parks type tourism?

Will we see tremendous deals offered to attract tourists?

Will unemployment skyrocket in tourist towns and who does that hurt in your state, that is, who has most of those jobs and are they seasonal jobs or year 'round?

Will some small towns go under?

Will it be different for fly in vacation destinations versus road trip destination vacations?

Will we see gas shortages, and if so, making out of the way places risky for road trips (and their economy suffering with it)?

How about the impact on peripheral businesses (not restaurants, motels, gas stations, attractions but supermarkets and other stores) in those areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 12:49 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,888,213 times
You are assuming a lot here. So far increased gas prices have not made much apparent impact on travel patterns. When gas prices doubled in a hurry and hit all time highs it made people consciously think. When prices go up 30% in summer and still are below all time highs I dont think it has quite the impact. The media are chasing down this story because gas prices always elicit emotional responses, but I bet they have to ask more and more people to get the sensational answers they are hoping for. My guess is travel will increase this year over last unless there is a significant and unxpected spike from something like tensions with Iran leading to military action. Just th slow melt up in prices which has already probably seen its most intense rise is not going to alter many plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics