Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:47 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,421,378 times

Advertisements

This guys has been around along time. He was on Cspan this morning preaching more spending and borrowing to get us out of a recession.
He claims it worked in WW11 and beyond but those were different times.
Hid ideology seems pretty far left..I dont believe more debt will get us to a better company despite having low inflation./ interest rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 08:50 AM

711 posts, read 1,690,276 times
I've heard of him & read a couple of his columns. Out of that, I get that he's saying that the economy is in trouble because of a lack of demand. Businesses won't expand (hire people) because they aren't sure there's going to be a payoff. So, people are out of work & can't purchase... the cycle repeats.

As far as I can tell, he's not saying that spending is the answer to all recessions, but to this one specifically.

If you want to ignore him, you could probably just assume he's a tax & spend (insert epithet here)... I think just the political idiots do that, they're afraid of real debate & ideas.

Anyone else have any thoughts on his writing?

Old 05-09-2012, 09:05 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,963,956 times
I think the guy lives in his own world where he interprets history and economic data through his own bias and desires. I have so little respect for his recommendations that I discount most of what he says.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:11 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,629,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
This guys has been around along time. He was on Cspan this morning preaching more spending and borrowing to get us out of a recession.
He claims it worked in WW11 and beyond but those were different times.
Hid ideology seems pretty far left..I dont believe more debt will get us to a better company despite having low inflation./ interest rates.
He actually makes a lot of sense. He says all you have to do is look at the struggling nations in Europe right now that have decided to try to "cut" their way out of this economic crisis- all it has done is sink them deeper into trouble because there is even less investment going on to spark any kind of a come-back. What he's saying is that investment is what spurs growth.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:27 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,255,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I think the guy lives in his own world where he interprets history and economic data through his own bias and desires. I have so little respect for his recommendations that I discount most of what he says.
I agree with you with the exception that I discount all of what he says.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:32 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,190,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
He actually makes a lot of sense. He says all you have to do is look at the struggling nations in Europe right now that have decided to try to "cut" their way out of this economic crisis- all it has done is sink them deeper into trouble because there is even less investment going on to spark any kind of a come-back. What he's saying is that investment is what spurs growth.
Krugman chooses his data carefully. Interestingly enough France and most European countries have NOT cut spending. They have slowed growth in spending. There is a big difference.

Krugman doesn't talk about investment. He talks about GOVERNMENT investment. Somehow he thinks the federal government, by spending more taxpayer funds that don't exist, will spur growth. He discredits the impact massive debt (not "ordinary" almounts of debt) has on the economy, both locally and globally.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:32 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,421,378 times
Quote:
just like all the investing and spending has made the US economy come back?
OK, maybe corporations are sitting on more cash but they still really are not hiring and unemployment still high.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:16 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,278,783 times
Krugman is recognized and has some interesting points of view.

But this is the role of an Economist isnt it? or rather an Economics Prof? Point out flaws based on bias whilst leaning on data to support it?

It makes for interesting reading, but doesnt affect my daily life. My feeling is most people dont make any decisions based on anything he says except maybe buy a subscription to the NY Times because their click count went over the free allotment LOL

Old 05-09-2012, 11:17 AM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Exactly. He's a very intelligent person, yet he's an idiot. It just goes to show that there are a lot of intelligent people out there with no common sense.

He talks about how we spent a lot during WW2, but he ignores the fact that we didn't have huge liabilities like Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid at that time. Heck, those medical programs didn't even come into existence until the 1960s.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:21 AM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Sure, investment spurs growth. But if he's talking government "investment" well I think that term is badly abused by liberals. Most government spending isn't an "investment".

Austerity alone will not fix Europe's troubled economies...that much is true. They have a lot of rigid labor market rules and other regulations that stifle economic growth that need to be revised. Germany got rid of some of it's stifling labor market rules and it's economy is doing better than the rest of the Eurozone. Other European countries need to do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics