Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 03:57 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,135,377 times

Advertisements

COLUMBIA, Mo. — The recent economic recession has caused many changes in the business landscape across the country, including high unemployment rates. Due to these high rates and the struggling economy, University of Missouri researchers have found that in recent years the number of Americans engaging in entrepreneurship has risen significantly. Maria Figueroa-Armijos, a doctoral candidate in the University of Missouri Truman School of Public Affairs, says that this trend could be positive for the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 05:53 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
COLUMBIA, Mo. — The recent economic recession has caused many changes in the business landscape across the country, including high unemployment rates. Due to these high rates and the struggling economy, University of Missouri researchers have found that in recent years the number of Americans engaging in entrepreneurship has risen significantly. Maria Figueroa-Armijos, a doctoral candidate in the University of Missouri Truman School of Public Affairs, says that this trend could be positive for the future.
Missouri must have a lot more rich uncles to hit up for cash than we have around here.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Missouri must have a lot more rich uncles to hit up for cash than we have around here.
LOL, well you start smaller and gradually build it up. I was going to do the nanotech stuff for glass, marble, granite, and so forth, but at first, I thought it would be too expensive. It was not until later that it occurred to me I could start smaller. I won't do this until I quite my job, anyway.

I'd start with the higher-end houses. Plus, I'd find the finest sprayer I can get in order to avoid waste.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:53 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
That is what you'd expect. Lose your job, try to go into business for yourself. I would be afraid if there weren't an increase. It would mean workers have given up on working at all.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
That is what you'd expect. Lose your job, try to go into business for yourself. I would be afraid if there weren't an increase. It would mean workers have given up on working at all.
There are a lot of people out of jobs that have given up and don't show up on stats. I wouldn't lose my job, or if I did, I could find one here. But I'd start small and show'em what I can do with these rich people. Word would spread and I might have to get help. That's my thinking, anyway.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:41 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,912,001 times
There are some good consequences from something like this, if the Americans that are able to suceed doing it are able to handle them.

The first would be a larger segment of the population that will own small businesses and not be able to rely on just putting money into a 401k out of their paychecks every week or two while blindly just assuming that the money is being managed right. It will definetely result in a growth of the use of SEP retirement accounts and an increase in people watching their retirement money closer and partially due to having less of it (without an employer match). There will also be future scrutiny by many self employed Americans at the way county, state and federal government pensions are payed out - which at this point in most states after 20 years, it's like winning the lottery with those types of pension paying out for two to three decades past the point the government parasite stopped working.

It will also result in the increase of private capital formation, with individual business owners / self employed putting additional money that they have into their businesses through investments rather than randomly dumping it into mutual funds or stocks and hoping to get a return on it over the course of a decade or more.

And it will force the average entrepreneurer / business owner that is no longer an employee of a company with a paycheck to more closely examine just how the IRS tax code works when they start paying more in taxes (including self employment taxes which is basically social security and medicare times two on Schedule SE). I can also see an increase in IRS tax enforcement in the years to come too, since someone running a business versus being an employee has inherently more windows in which to shelter income through - either with legal tax avoidance and/or illegal tax evasion.

The audit rate per capita for small business owners is vastly greater than a person that gets a W-2 every year, so a new and profound understanding of just how tyrannical the federal government is with it's social engineering (as maintained by the IRS) will occur.

Simple increases in the amount of small business owners and/or the self employed alone will not get the US out of this recession/depression since if the overall psychological climate involving money, class structure and the proper role of the government in terms of taxation and spending does not change - the entire country could hypothetically be self employed and the current economic conditions will still get worse.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:07 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
There are (could/might be) some good consequences from something like this, IF the Americans that are able to suceed doing it are able to handle them.
Lets set the "Americans that are able to suceed doing it" aside for the moment...
what about the consequences for other 98% or so of those who attempt this?

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/217843
Quote:
1. Do serial entrepreneurs succeed more than first time entrepreneurs?
Answer: Yes.
If you're a first time entrepreneur, outlook not so good.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
There are some good consequences from something like this, if the Americans that are able to suceed doing it are able to handle them.

The first would be a larger segment of the population that will own small businesses and not be able to rely on just putting money into a 401k out of their paychecks every week or two while blindly just assuming that the money is being managed right. It will definetely result in a growth of the use of SEP retirement accounts and an increase in people watching their retirement money closer and partially due to having less of it (without an employer match). There will also be future scrutiny by many self employed Americans at the way county, state and federal government pensions are payed out - which at this point in most states after 20 years, it's like winning the lottery with those types of pension paying out for two to three decades past the point the government parasite stopped working.

It will also result in the increase of private capital formation, with individual business owners / self employed putting additional money that they have into their businesses through investments rather than randomly dumping it into mutual funds or stocks and hoping to get a return on it over the course of a decade or more.

And it will force the average entrepreneurer / business owner that is no longer an employee of a company with a paycheck to more closely examine just how the IRS tax code works when they start paying more in taxes (including self employment taxes which is basically social security and medicare times two on Schedule SE). I can also see an increase in IRS tax enforcement in the years to come too, since someone running a business versus being an employee has inherently more windows in which to shelter income through - either with legal tax avoidance and/or illegal tax evasion.

The audit rate per capita for small business owners is vastly greater than a person that gets a W-2 every year, so a new and profound understanding of just how tyrannical the federal government is with it's social engineering (as maintained by the IRS) will occur.

Simple increases in the amount of small business owners and/or the self employed alone will not get the US out of this recession/depression since if the overall psychological climate involving money, class structure and the proper role of the government in terms of taxation and spending does not change - the entire country could hypothetically be self employed and the current economic conditions will still get worse.
Suppose a guy were to have a lawn mowing "company" where he gets all his money in cash. Suppose further that he has another venture doing something else where most of the money coming in will be reinvested in the business. Insofar as the lawn mowing business goes (under the table) it would be a cash basis. As far as I know, nobody pays any attention to it unless he suddenly starts buying cars, doing lots of house improvements and so forth? Then, he would be subject to attention.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:41 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,912,001 times
Quote:
Suppose a guy were to have a lawn mowing "company" where he gets all his money in cash. Suppose further that he has another venture doing something else where most of the money coming in will be reinvested in the business. Insofar as the lawn mowing business goes (under the table) it would be a cash basis. As far as I know, nobody pays any attention to it unless he suddenly starts buying cars, doing lots of house improvements and so forth? Then, he would be subject to attention.
I thought we were referring to legitimate businesses and entrepreneurers. The only people that I know that get "all their money in cash" are drug dealers, strippers and illegal aliens that mow lawns for cash.

Cash transactions when running a business still need to be declared as income as far as the IRS is concerned, so any guy that has a lawn mowing company "venture" and does not report the income is committing tax fraud and evasion.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:37 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:

Necessity is the mother of invention when people don't sit on their arses and wait for Uncle Sam to bail them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics