Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 05:31 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,721,098 times

Advertisements

I just read this on my Credit Union website's "news". So, I have assumed that part of the markup at a store included their allowance to pass on their costs to the consumer. So, can we expect the prices to drop by 1.5 to 4% since they can now add it directly at the end of the transaction? Duh, I think not. Maybe we need a settlement between retailers and customers.

Credit Card Surcharge to Take Effect January 27

As a result of a recent court settlement between retailers and the credit card industry, merchants can now pass along their payment processing costs to consumers who pay with a credit card beginning January 27, 2013. Please be advised that a merchant who chooses to exercise this surcharge, sometimes referred to as a "checkout fee," could subsequently increase your credit card purchase amount by as much as 4% (the maximum allowed).

Under the settlement:

-The surcharge cannot exceed the amount that the merchant actually pays to accept credit cards – between 1.5% and 4% of the transaction amount.

-Surcharges can be imposed on commercial and consumer credit card transactions only, not on purchases made with debit cards or prepaid cards.

-Merchants must disclose the credit card surcharge clearly – at the store entrance and the point of sale or on the homepage if the merchant does business on the Internet.

-The disclosure must include the amount of the surcharge, the fact that the fee is being charged by the merchant, and that the fee does not exceed the merchant's cost to accept credit cards.

-The dollar amount of the surcharge must appear on the transaction receipt.

Merchants are not allowed to impose a credit card surcharge in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma or Texas, where such fees are prohibited under state law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 07:06 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,322,041 times
I will be making all of my purchases now with gold nuggets.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:47 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,931,097 times
This really not anything new, a lot of places on line ask for 3% or so if you use a credit card, if you rent a vacation home through VRBO or Homeaway, chances are you will be asked for credit card fees. Many places will not take an American Express because their fees are higher than VISA or Mastercard. Some smaller retailers are pushed for profitability and 2.5% to 3% can make a big difference.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:12 AM

1,145 posts, read 3,008,646 times
Preception has been that, for competitive reasons, merchants will not adopt surcharges widely. The existence of bans in certain large states also makes it very difficult for the largest retailers to do it since they cannot be uniform across the country.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:02 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,064,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
I just read this on my Credit Union website's "news". So, I have assumed that part of the markup at a store included their allowance to pass on their costs to the consumer. So, can we expect the prices to drop by 1.5 to 4% since they can now add it directly at the end of the transaction? Duh, I think not. Maybe we need a settlement between retailers and customers.

Credit Card Surcharge to Take Effect January 27

As a result of a recent court settlement between retailers and the credit card industry, merchants can now pass along their payment processing costs to consumers who pay with a credit card beginning January 27, 2013. Please be advised that a merchant who chooses to exercise this surcharge, sometimes referred to as a "checkout fee," could subsequently increase your credit card purchase amount by as much as 4% (the maximum allowed).

Under the settlement:

-The surcharge cannot exceed the amount that the merchant actually pays to accept credit cards – between 1.5% and 4% of the transaction amount.

-Surcharges can be imposed on commercial and consumer credit card transactions only, not on purchases made with debit cards or prepaid cards.

-Merchants must disclose the credit card surcharge clearly – at the store entrance and the point of sale or on the homepage if the merchant does business on the Internet.

-The disclosure must include the amount of the surcharge, the fact that the fee is being charged by the merchant, and that the fee does not exceed the merchant's cost to accept credit cards.

-The dollar amount of the surcharge must appear on the transaction receipt.

Merchants are not allowed to impose a credit card surcharge in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma or Texas, where such fees are prohibited under state law.
Well, I guess I have nothing to worry about, but it sucks for the other states.

For some reason, I see other states passing similar laws in the near future.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:36 PM

344 posts, read 428,736 times
The Sheep will pay it.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:19 PM

19,215 posts, read 27,857,953 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/fruga...rting-1-a.html

Old 01-23-2013, 05:45 AM

23,178 posts, read 26,316,419 times
It will be interesting to see if the CC companies do anything to defray this additional charge.
I will certainly start using cash more often if the 1% to 4% fees exceed the 'cash' back' bonus points
Thankfully, my two main states make it not yet a big concern

Old 01-23-2013, 10:03 AM

48,493 posts, read 97,119,454 times
In this retail environemnt those that can forgo the surcharge and keep price lower will reap rwrods just like anytime one can bet higher prices. The must show the charge is the key.Most will not do anyhting different in hiding the charge cost in the retail prices:IMO.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,733,892 times
Funny thing though is that they say the fees were built into the retail price.
Yet both cash and credit customers paid the same price.

Now with the fee separated will there be a lower price since the fee can be collected separately ?

Somehow I think not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics