Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 01:04 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,446,878 times

Advertisements

Taxing wealth already exists. It's called the property tax.

I consider it fundamentally unfair because it requires you to constantly pay to keep what you own. If your income falls and you can't afford to pay the state/county for the house that YOU OWN here in Texas, you will lose it. Likewise if the value of your home increases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 01:23 PM

651 posts, read 863,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post

I consider it fundamentally unfair because it requires you to constantly pay to keep what you own. If your income falls and you can't afford to pay the state/county for the house that YOU OWN here in Texas, you will lose it. Likewise if the value of your home increases.

It means you don't ever really own your house. you just rent it from the government. I am against property taxes all together.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:42 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,267,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icicles View Post
It means you don't ever really own your house. you just rent it from the government. I am against property taxes all together.
Do you also feel you never own your car because of state vehicle registration fees?

Old 07-27-2013, 03:47 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
You are renting the roads, schools, police and other services that support your home. You are not renting your home.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:57 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,670 times
Quote:
Why focus on taxing wealth producers? why not eliminate the non-wealth producers and be more efficient. which means eliminate the government to minimal as possible and get rid of all subsidies and welfare.

Whatever you tax more of you get less of. whatever you subsidize, you get more of.

So why would we tax the rich? get less of, and subsidize the poor, get more of?
Bing bing. Tax 'wealth,' and all the wealthy will high-tail it out of here as fast as they are in certain European countries.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:10 PM

651 posts, read 863,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Do you also feel you never own your car because of state vehicle registration fees?

I can park a car and not register it or use it on personal property and the government/state doesn't take it away like a home.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:27 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post

No property taxes on stocks

Old 07-28-2013, 01:30 PM

1,924 posts, read 2,374,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
You don't seem to get how social security works either.
I appear to know more about everything than you do.

Quote:
Your benefit is progressively indexed your earnings over 55K get a 15% factor whereas earnings up to 10K get a 90% factor.
Wrong yet again. The streak continues. There are three benefit bands defined by the so-called bend-points that are used in calculation of a basic benefit (aka, primary insurance amount) from one's average indexed MONTHLY income. The first $767 earns a 90% credit. The next $3,857 earns a 32% credit, and everything above $4.624 earns a 15% credit.

Quote:
The poor do quit well under SS and they are subsidized by the rich. If not for the rich SS would go bankrupt.
The rich? Who needs them! They pay NOTHING on their wages above $113,700. In part because of that, those with low incomes receive SS benefits that are a higher percentage of their pre-retirement incomes than those with high incomes do. That's as far as the BIG LIE that poor people "do quite well" under Social Security can be taken. The more money you made in an average month during your working lifetime, the higher your actual benefit will be. Rich people do quite well under Social Security. But they would do even better if we were to allow them to contribute from and thus earn benefits on a larger proportion of their giant incomes.

Quote:
Your ignorance shows in every post
Completely a product of your pathetic envy of my demonstrated superior knowledge and capacity. After all, I can actually keep the months of the year straight, having no history at all of confusing June and January or December and September.

Quote:
You seem to want to take from one group to give free stuff to another. You don't seem to understand how wealth is earned taxes are destroying the economy and job creation.
I seem to want to stick to the actual facts, something that you stray from with dependably great regularity.

Quote:
Ignoramuses like yourself are the reason america is in the toilet
Go read the Terms of Service. Personal attacks such as this are prohibited. But I'm sure many understand the sort of desperate humiliation that comes to prompt such violations.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Wrong again. As an owner of the public ally traded company the stockholders pay income tax. The value of a stock is its discounted future earnings and dividends those earnings are diminished by taxes paid by the corporation.
LOL! You pay not one thin dime. This is classic interloping -- taking credit for that which you have no connection to at all. The value of a share of stock is whatever you can sell it for. It is a value determined purely from market perceptions and having no fixed connection to any actual financial stock or flow at all.

Quote:
Some of the extra earnings would go towards paying employees but some would also go to the owners ie the stockholders
More unfounded entitlement syndrome. Where do common stockholders rank again in terms of dividends or upon liquidation?

Quote:
How about you take an introductory economics class before you post more of this drivel?
This from a numerically-incompetent "actuary".

Old 07-28-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
Bing bing. Tax 'wealth,' and all the wealthy will high-tail it out of here as fast as they are in certain European countries.
LOL! The rich are not high-tailing it out of anywhere on account of taxes. And please spare us any more ridiculous posts concerning the ups and downs of niche market Parisian penthouses. Don't bother to tell us either about all those disappearing millionaires of Oregon and Maryland.

The rich have deep roots where they live -- business networks, social and religious networks, family networks, charitable and educational networks. They do not pull up stakes and abandon the work of a lifetime over a few extra dollars worth of taxes at the margin. Most wealthy people are not actually much concerned over taxes anyway, since these have virtually no impact on their lifestyles. And where would they go anyway? Do you fancy that there are places somewhere that are worth living in that did not get and do not stay that way through ample taxation of one sort or another?

It's just astonishing to me sometimes the sort of absolute nonsense that some people will fall for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics