Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 01:34 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,070,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapcharly View Post
I don't think ex husband pay.
Mother got only an unskilled job which I doubt is enough for 4 children.

But when it was time to vote for Obama or Romney , she said here we are for Obama.

This is sounding more like it belongs in politics or debates - or maybe straight up trolling. You do realize all what you're describing was going on during the two previous Republican administrations as well? It's not something that just popped up after January 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 01:43 PM

23,492 posts, read 12,502,824 times
Quote:
Last time I was In usa and I met a family,mother with 4 children, all girls, one pregnant already.
All they do is texting, chatting in room. No one want go work
The have everything, tablet, cell phone, TV, play station,... Rent a house(1500$) and have cars. I calculated she need over 4000$/month.
These people are clueless, they know nothing, they voted for Obama...

She has no skill, how she can pay for all that?
The title of your thread suggests there is a job, low skilled but a job. But the body of your post suggests that she doesn't work ........ which is it?

How long did you live with them where you know their every daily and nightly routines? Or, was it just a short visit where you nosed around enough to learn (assume?) how much she pays in rent, how many cars, and toys, they have and to calculate how much she'd need to support herself and her kids, and to even learn who she voted for? If it was just a quick visit, what was the reason for the visit?
Why are you asking us "how she can pay for all that" instead of asking her? We don't know her and all we can do is, like you, make guesses.

How old are her kids? Are they even old enough to work? Just because one of them is pregnant doesn't mean she's old enough to hold a full time job. (and for what it's worth, young under aged females in all countries can and do get pregnant)

Maybe the mother works a full time job but just happened to be on vacation while you dropped in. Maybe the "kids" have baby sitting or fast food jobs, whatever the child labor laws allow for their age.

There can be hundreds of answers for the "how she can pay for all that" question.

Some of the answers may be ..
She's on welfare
She's a brood mare who had 4 kids by 4 different men and receives monthly child support checks x 4 (will you be #5? lol)
She has, as one person put it, a sugar daddy - or daddies
She makes and/or sells drugs (the reason for the quick visit?)
She has a job that you just don't know about, and maybe her kids do too
She was married and her (first) husband, the kids father, died and he had a generous insurance policy, plus the kids are drawing his SS.
Her (first) husband died because of another persons action, other person was a drunk driver or whatever, and not only did the husband have a good insurance policy but she also received a nice settlement from the drunk driver, or whoever, that killed her husband
One of her relatives died and left her a substantial inheritance
She won the lotto

I could go on but you get the picture .... there can be so many reasons that the only one who can answer your question is the woman herself.

I think the following post sums it up quite nicely...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
How do you know where said person gets their money from? Sounds like jealousy and a lot of assumptions.

Don't worry about other people's pockets.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:12 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Totally believable... I have a sister in law that has not worked in over forty years and has raised (barely) three children to live the same way. They have government provided housing, food stamps, healthcare, phones, etc. and receive checks every month. It is disgusting that we as a society have created a system that encourages these people to waste their lives (and force others hard working citizens fund it).
Would you tell people you just met once your work situation, you kid being knocked up, the amount you pay in rent, who you voted for, and how much you pay on your bills?

I sure as hell wouldn't. It doesn't enough pass the laugh test.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:43 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,948,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Would you tell people you just met once your work situation, you kid being knocked up, the amount you pay in rent, who you voted for, and how much you pay on your bills?

I sure as hell wouldn't. It doesn't enough pass the laugh test.
You are used to dealing with people like yourself that have a view of normal that includes some level of self reliance and accomplishment. There are many that openly discuss their perception of victimhood and will discuss a livelihood that they see forced on them, complete with insufficient government support and troublesome children.

You never met my sister in law... she would share her situation and woes as if she had nothing to do with it.

The initial post was totally believable.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
You are used to dealing with people like yourself that have a view of normal that includes some level of self reliance and accomplishment. There are many that openly discuss their perception of victimhood and will discuss a livelihood that they see forced on them, complete with insufficient government support and troublesome children.

You never met my sister in law... she would share her situation and woes as if she had nothing to do with it.

The initial post was totally believable.
Yup, EXACTLY fully understandable and Believable; Just take a trip on Greyhound and you can meet plenty of them. Or spend a day at the local DHFS,

I too have (2) S-I-L's that have not worked in 40 yrs and get by just fine. (one single, one with family)

And yes it is political, but both sides of the fence have their 'following'. You will note that even the press was getting into the act yesterday in reporting the 'new generation' of home bodies. Aged kids hanging out at home as a matter of convenience and actual popularity with peers and adamant loyalists of current USA administration. The pendulum swings, but USA is currently VERY receptive to catering to the needs the the welfare disadvantaged. (or those that claim such). Brings lots of votes from populous areas (more electoral votes for advertising $ spent).

To the point... It is VERY EZ to support a large family with low skills. Millions do it everyday, worldwide!.
It is called "subsistence Farming"

USA is quickly joining rank. (converging to 2 class society). BUT,,, in USA available land for subsistence farming is tough to come by (buy). But not nearly as tough as finding those willing or minimally capable to DO IT (thus... illegal immigrants make the BEST Ag Help in USA).

Old 08-06-2013, 09:16 PM

827 posts, read 1,089,597 times
Yawn. Another cheapcharly troll thread.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:27 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,586,726 times
Quote:
I don't think ex husband pay.
Mother got only an unskilled job which I doubt is enough for 4 children.

But when it was time to vote for Obama or Romney , she said here we are for Obama.
What is more perplexing when a person is a direct beneficiary of variety social assistance programs, an avid talk radio listener, a solid Republican voter, flaming anti-union crusader, never made more than $9/hr (part time), a bible thumper, has children out wedlock and hates freeloaders, etc., etc., etc.. All in the same flask.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
To the point... It is VERY EZ to support a large family with low skills. Millions do it everyday, worldwide!.
It is called "subsistence Farming"

USA is quickly joining rank. (converging to 2 class society). BUT,,, in USA available land for subsistence farming is tough to come by (buy). But not nearly as tough as finding those willing or minimally capable to DO IT (thus... illegal immigrants make the BEST Ag Help in USA).
In USA, (semi) subsistence farming is a cash drain, a luxury the poor can't afford (it's not like they want to ), it's not a source of income or reasonable survival alternative due to variety of reasons. You can feed yourself for $1500 year (or even less) using low grade grocery store foods. It would take a small cash fortune (and a boatload of time free of a wage work) for you to grow an equivalent amount of food.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:38 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
I don't believe your fiction for a second.

This welfare queen narrative was bunk in the 1980's, and it's not getting better with age.
Your head is so far in the sand, I can see your butt cleavage.

I met these people in double digit quantities every day.

Denying there is a problem with fraud and abuse does not solve anything.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Your head is so far in the sand, I can see your butt cleavage.

I met these people in double digit quantities every day.

Denying there is a problem with fraud and abuse does not solve anything.
Bottom 40% of Americans "owns" 3% of national income (including food stamps and TANF). Focusing on welfare cheats is just another way to escape this reality and its almost intractable problems. Poor bashing = escapism, simple. Real problems are so humongous (and dangerous to touch), it's much safer to create alternative reality and "fight" imaginary (but harmless) welfare cheats who ate your cake. Good luck, don't forget about Prozac and magic mushrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics