Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 10:32 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
The other day I had a customer who used a food stamp card for her purchases. She has six foster kids. Her total purchases were around $600...three heaped carts of decent foods, very little 'junk'...and she still had nearly $400 left on her card. That's a LOT of money! IF they also get cash assistance it will show on their receipt and the vast majority do NOT get that...just the food stamps part. If she gets $1000 mo. to feed the kids that averages out to about $166 a month each. Personally I can live on less than that but I'm an 'elderly' adult who probably doesn't eat as much as kids do.

The only ones I've seen with cash benefits looked to me like they really needed it. Disabled elders mostly but a few younger as well.
Ok, give us copies of the sales receipt or RememberMee is NOT GOING TO BE HAPPY !! We have to provide proof in writing of anything we say, evidently, or it didn't happen.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 01:22 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Ok, give us copies of the sales receipt or RememberMee is NOT GOING TO BE HAPPY !! We have to provide proof in writing of anything we say, evidently, or it didn't happen.

Don
LOL...well, that's not happening so I guess I'll just have to be another 'story teller' to some.

Truthfully I shouldn't have glanced at that. None of my business but I admit I was curious how much a family of 8 would get. In my other post I only counted the kids but this is a two foster parent home. My niece had food stamps for a few months between jobs/relocation. She got over $500 for her and two kids. Years ago I got them for a short time myself...lost job/went through savings to live...and I got $180 month. I didn't really need that much just for me but stocked up for when they stopped.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:35 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Bottom 40% of Americans "owns" 3% of national income (including food stamps and TANF). Focusing on welfare cheats is just another way to escape this reality and its almost intractable problems. Poor bashing = escapism, simple. Real problems are so humongous (and dangerous to touch), it's much safer to create alternative reality and "fight" imaginary (but harmless) welfare cheats who ate your cake. Good luck, don't forget about Prozac and magic mushrooms.
Very well said.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:47 PM

23,457 posts, read 12,487,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
The other day I had a customer who used a food stamp card for her purchases. She has six foster kids. Her total purchases were around $600...three heaped carts of decent foods, very little 'junk'...and she still had nearly $400 left on her card. That's a LOT of money! IF they also get cash assistance it will show on their receipt and the vast majority do NOT get that...just the food stamps part. If she gets $1000 mo. to feed the kids that averages out to about $166 a month each. Personally I can live on less than that but I'm an 'elderly' adult who probably doesn't eat as much as kids do.

The only ones I've seen with cash benefits looked to me like they really needed it. Disabled elders mostly but a few younger as well.
Receiving welfare and receiving money for fostering kids are two different things.
I don't know if, or how many, states allow a foster parent to also receive food stamps (since foster parents are typically supposed to meet their own financial obligations, without consideration of foster care reimbursement, and since the foster parent receives reimbursement for fostering), but if the customer used a food stamp card then AZ probably allows it.

As for the daily rates, per child for foster care in AZ ...

2012 Family foster care reimbursement rates
Arizona
Basic Rates: $19.68 ‐ $21.72 (I believe the amount of the basic daily rate depends on the age of the child)

(Special needs children)
Foster Care Special level 2: $23.52
Foster Care Special level 3: $29.94
Foster Care Medically Fragile: $35.75

(1) Rates are what the foster homes are paid directly. The rates do not include Home Recruitment Study and Supervision (HRSS) services which are paid to private providers responsible for recruitment and supervision of foster homes.
(2) Rates do not include daily clothing and personal allowances.

http://childtrends.org/wp-content/up...ate-Report.pdf

Using the 'minimum' daily amount ... $19.68 x 30 day (month) = $590.40 (per kid) x 6 (kids) = $3542.40 (yeow, that's a chunk of change every month)

Old 08-07-2013, 02:06 PM

23,457 posts, read 12,487,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
I guessed you must have missed something from the basics of the law. The accuser has to prove that his accusations are wrong. The accused does not have to prove his innocence, it is up to the accuser to prove the guilt of the accused.
I didn't realize that the average internet forum is actually a sanctioned court of law. Where do we go for the swearing in?

I was under the impression that on a typical internet forum, when someone states something (as fact or other) that the person who makes the statement is the one who is expected to prove what they say.

Last edited by berdee; 08-07-2013 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: wording change

Old 08-07-2013, 06:19 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Receiving welfare and receiving money for fostering kids are two different things.
I don't know if, or how many, states allow a foster parent to also receive food stamps (since foster parents are typically supposed to meet their own financial obligations, without consideration of foster care reimbursement, and since the foster parent receives reimbursement for fostering), but if the customer used a food stamp card then AZ probably allows it.

As for the daily rates, per child for foster care in AZ ...

2012 Family foster care reimbursement rates
Arizona
Basic Rates: $19.68 ‐ $21.72 (I believe the amount of the basic daily rate depends on the age of the child)

(Special needs children)
Foster Care Special level 2: $23.52
Foster Care Special level 3: $29.94
Foster Care Medically Fragile: $35.75

(1) Rates are what the foster homes are paid directly. The rates do not include Home Recruitment Study and Supervision (HRSS) services which are paid to private providers responsible for recruitment and supervision of foster homes.
(2) Rates do not include daily clothing and personal allowances.

http://childtrends.org/wp-content/up...ate-Report.pdf

Using the 'minimum' daily amount ... $19.68 x 30 day (month) = $590.40 (per kid) x 6 (kids) = $3542.40 (yeow, that's a chunk of change every month)
My daughter did foster care here in AZ for ten years. Yes, they rec'd a certain amount for their care and but I honestly don't recall that she also got food stamps for them. It's been a long time since then and the rules may have changed. I don't know. I do remember her using money she rec'd for their clothes, shoes, etc.. I know she never got anything NEAR the amount quoted.

Hmmmm...maybe I ought to rethink my 'occupation'! lol Not really. I'm too old, tired and lazy to deal with young kids for any amount of money.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:10 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,167,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Smells like a political troll. Obama has little to do with anyone milking the system. People have been abusing the system long before Obama came along. Political troll is trolling.
I can't stand Obama but you are 100 pct right.People tend to this a lot with politics- blame the party they don't like for doing exactly what their party does or did.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:11 PM

5 posts, read 5,581 times
No way, not unless she got a settlement from a car accident something similar can I believe that. Sounds like someone just doesn't like Obama.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:11 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,585,426 times
Quote:
Sure. Because you saying that humans just want to exploit others humans is a proven fact right? Oh wait, it is proven if Das Kapital from Karl Marx is correct. But Das Kapital is full of assumptions written in another era.
And you think it's not a proven fact? Been around this Planet for how long? Isn't it what labor supply and demand all about? Think about it, the lower your social perch the more your wages are influenced by your survival instinct. Since survival resources of the labor are very limited, employers can coerce workers (even fine folks like yourself) into a wage (and employment conditions) of their choice. It took 100+ years of struggle against the free market (and people who control it) to mitigate these unfortunate (from labor standpoint) circumstances. Unfortunately, new breed of the wage slaves is so dumb and gutless, we are about to squander 100+ years of struggle and sacrifice of the previous generations. Keep listening that talk radio.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:31 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,730,510 times
Quote:
I agree with you that we should not ignore other issues. However, your argument is too often used to do nothing to rectify wrongs. We should strive to rectify all wrongs, not just the big ones or the small ones.
Where did anyone say that welfare fraud was acceptable? Post up the message number. Else wise, straw man argument.

Last edited by shaker281; 08-07-2013 at 10:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics