Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2014, 09:40 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
If it's so great, why don't you try it? Average welfare household? Yeah, that sounds totally legit...
Many people have the dignity and pride to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 09:44 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahRN View Post
College is the child's responsibility. Student loans should be illegal. Has no one ever heard of pay as you go? Why is it so hard to understand? People go in to debt because they are stupid, and if they are that stupid they shouldn't be in college anyway.

Being a student is not a job, it is a privilege. Something to value, and children should be working to pay for it. When it is given as a handout like so many other things in America, it is of less value. Enter classic live on campus college student. Dorms are a waste, private colleges a waste... Why does no one in this country want to be responsible for themselves?
In America college education is a business, which is fundamentally wrong.
Colleges should charge some tuition, but not much. All capable students should have a chance to get in, but ONLY capable students.

Law schools, medical schools etc. can be business, because they are another level.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:45 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Its funny how people seem to believe that they are currently living in isolation...

As if the young of our country have zero to do with them and the future. We used to have the strongest educational system in the world. It got there because we work together as a community. Its no surprise that education in this country is hurting now. We've become a "me-me-me" society.
Wrong; we became an over-taxed, over-socialized, lawsuit-mad, (pseudo-)"progressive" society thanks to Obama, the Democrats, the trial lawyers, and the NEA.

Quote:
With that said, I also don't believe that those that are childless should be paying in the system as much as the family that insists on 4+ kids. I just believe if we stop taking care of our young (not just our own) we all will pay the price down the road.
And what about all the "unwed fathers" responsible for the propagation of the dysfunctional gang/drug/welfare culture? Perhaps some refinement of the vagrancy statutes might aid in "sweeping the streets"?

Old 04-18-2014, 05:39 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Why is there a tax benefit to having kids in the first place? We have setup our tax code to reward certain behavior (and promote family values.).

Get married! Tax break.
Buy a house! Tax break.
Have kids! Tax break.
Pay for kids in college! Tax break.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:10 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Wrong; we became an over-taxed, over-socialized, lawsuit-mad, (pseudo-)"progressive" society thanks to Obama, the Democrats, the trial lawyers, and the NEA.

And what about all the "unwed fathers" responsible for the propagation of the dysfunctional gang/drug/welfare culture? Perhaps some refinement of the vagrancy statutes might aid in "sweeping the streets"?

I seriously doubt that I could have said any of that better, myself.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:21 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
Ridiculous article. His mom worked hard so anyone who doesn't have kids should be penalized? News flash to this guy, kids go to school, get free breakfasts, lunches, and vaccinations paid for by taxes from childfree folks! The childfree are already paying for something they don't use.

There is so much wrong with that article.
It really is. It is a shocking encapsulation of the entitlement mindset. Hey, I have three kids myself. Had we not had three kids, we'd be retired at age 50 and living on a boat somewhere in the Pacific. But I wouldn't dream of asking someone to pay extra because she didn't have kids.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:25 PM

540 posts, read 453,439 times
Stupid liberals. If you dont work you deserve to starve and die. Including your useless kids. We are sick of you useless parents and "retirees". Why should we spend money on people who USED to work? Or people who cant keep their legs closed? Poor people need to die off so we can save money for people who actually work. Are you sick? Disabled? I hope you saved enough otherwise you are a burden and need to pass on.

Im fed up with paying because some person I dont know has cancer, or a heart attack, or a miscarriage. If were educated, took care of yourself, and weren't so lazy you wouldn't have these issue. Remove all social services and we can make this country great again.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:10 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Why is there a tax benefit to having kids in the first place? We have setup our tax code to reward certain behavior (and promote family values.).

Get married! Tax break.
Buy a house! Tax break.
Have kids! Tax break.
Pay for kids in college! Tax break.
The bold is available to anyone, not just the parents, but it isn't that much. You get more money for having a kid than for going to school.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:30 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post

As a low-income, employed, marginally housed individual at risk of displacement and homelessness, I oppose any criminalization of homelessness.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:31 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yshudicare View Post
Stupid liberals. If you dont work you deserve to starve and die. Including your useless kids. We are sick of you useless parents and "retirees". Why should we spend money on people who USED to work? Or people who cant keep their legs closed? Poor people need to die off so we can save money for people who actually work. Are you sick? Disabled? I hope you saved enough otherwise you are a burden and need to pass on.

Im fed up with paying because some person I dont know has cancer, or a heart attack, or a miscarriage. If were educated, took care of yourself, and weren't so lazy you wouldn't have these issue. Remove all social services and we can make this country great again.

??? What should the childless working poor do? Do they need to die?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics