Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 06:42 AM

15 posts, read 12,202 times

Advertisements

Is it really so bad as described in this documentary?

Surviving the New American Economy - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 08:38 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,462,376 times
For some people it is, and for some people it isn't. So far I have seen fewer stories where once things get tough families can really recover compared to tough times where families are doing vastly better then when I was younger. I think this documentary is expansive time at 20 years, but not in breadth, in that it only looked at two families in the same area.

There are stories on CNN every couple days that are more terse, but similar. As well as other research into inequality, the changes in wealth distribution in the last 30 years, and issues as bigger money got into politics. Which has been a big issue due to where the focus and imperatives for politicians lay.

It makes sense as well. If you have 1,000 people donate $100 each that have different ideas of what needs to be done...anyone would look at that and try to steer the course that makes the most people happy. Some people will not donate later for any reason imaginable as well. If one big donor comes in and says to do one thing and they will give you $100,000 then it's easy and you know as long as that client is happy you get that money. Each group will ask that a politician will do what they wish and helps them.

With the better funded candidate winning an overwhelming majority of the time it is the only way to keep your job is to stay better funded. If the choice is between standing up to these big interests, or letting someone else take the same job to do the same thing, where you now need to worry about keeping the roof over your head and your family fed...I understand the choice. I think it's BS that it is that way, but I understand it.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:49 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Big money use to have much more influence on politics and when your talking past its really a few at top. But then big money also funds government to a large extent with taxes if one looks ;so that makes sense. In fact in past many laws such a local on property owners only having vote in related elections limited things very much to those who has skin in game. Then of course the political machines of past really limited things. Yahoo has a story to day on just how huge even by today dollars the Rockfellers and Vanderbilts fortunes actually were. Its much like media is past very limited and even news papers known by their political leanings in past. Power is always power no matter the times but wealth overall is much more distribute today eve to extent of wealth not earned. Some families have always struggled but today the standard of even that is much higher as to standard of living compared to past. The amount of funds spent on not essentials is much higher even among those in poverty.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:50 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times
Even the worst off in this country have it pretty good due to social programs ,especially if they are women with a child, they can basically live for years without having to work even in the most conservative of states. My sister has done so.

Assisted living that is under $50 a month combined with food stamps and welfare.. has not had to work since my nephew was born. Nice place too. I actually don't hold it against her, if anything I'm a bit jealous. Working for a living sucks, mostly because of forced overtime.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:23 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
especially if they are women with a child, they can basically live for years without having to work even in the most conservative of states. My sister has done so.
How well can you really live though?

Old 06-05-2014, 05:20 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,407,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Even the worst off in this country have it pretty good due to social programs ,especially if they are women with a child, they can basically live for years without having to work even in the most conservative of states. My sister has done so.

Assisted living that is under $50 a month combined with food stamps and welfare.. has not had to work since my nephew was born. Nice place too. I actually don't hold it against her, if anything I'm a bit jealous. Working for a living sucks, mostly because of forced overtime.
Well to be honest, why would a single woman work? That isn't exclusive to America. Day care costs are out of control. If day care were free or subsidized, then they would have incentive to return to work. If day care consumes your whole paycheck you are better off not working. I can't say I blame them.

"Welfare queen laziness" is a weak argument.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:30 PM

723 posts, read 2,194,018 times
As mentioned above, it is for some people. I think kids are the biggest factor; they limit your potential in terms of earnings (SAHM/SAHD or daycare costs) and the costs only go up as they age. These families have 3 and 5 kids? I wouldn't have more than 2 on anything other than a six figure salary, seriously.

Last edited by Xeon1210; 06-05-2014 at 05:41 PM..

Old 06-07-2014, 07:54 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
How well can you really live though?

They can come to NY where, through the largesse of the taxpayers both state and federal, they can receive a "benefit" package including medical care, medical transportation, heating and cooling assistance, food stamps (SNAP), public market produce certificates, education grants, daycare grants, "Baby Love" child care training, housing assitance, and a monthly cash grant--the total of which is estimated to be around $60K annually.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:56 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

"Welfare queen laziness" is a weak argument.

But the "there's no more certain route to poverty than having children out of wedlock" isn't.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:06 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,921,465 times
This article may indicate that things are indeed as bad as some believe. Declining birth rate is often a sign that a nations economy is not going well.

Women are having fewer kids, and demographers don't know why | WashingtonExaminer.com

Yesterday's jobs report also gave indications that things are not getting better. The jobs report indicated that the country is back to the number of jobs it had before the recession. But that's no reason to cheer, unfortunately. The new jobs tend to not pay as well as the old jobs. The average work week is still stuck on a low, about 34 hrs. and the labor participation rate is at its lowest level in over 30 years. Plus you have to remember that there are 6 million more people in the USA than there were in 2007. I don't see how our economy can get better until we make it easier for small business and that means fewer regulations and getting rid of OBAMAcare.

I watched some of that video. I know something about the economy in Wis. as I grew up there and worked as a salesman calling on a lot of those factories that are now gone. Imports certainly killed a lot of those companies, but Wis. high taxes, epa regulations and union contracts added to the reasons why those companies closed, or moved out of state. If you came to TExas, you'd see the opposite. American's have often had to move to where the jobs are. Same is true today.

Last edited by augiedogie; 06-07-2014 at 10:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics