Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 08:15 PM

514 posts, read 764,776 times

Advertisements

I recently took on a technical job in the capital markets division of one of the largest mortgage origination firms in the country. Needless to say, the position requires that I see a lot of the transaction data related to the mortgages we write, critical information such as the type of product, client, etc. Not long after being on the job I began to notice a lot of FHA product coming through our system. Curious as to whether my intuition was accurate, I ran some queries against a couple of our major data warehouses that are used in product reporting. It turned out that over 40% of our product in the last year has been FHA related (we're talking millions of transactions). I couldn't believe it. I can only imagine the kind of risk the federal government is assuming. I guess hard-lessons lead to soft-responses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 08:19 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,595,618 times
FHA has been a very large part of the market before and after the crisis. Do you have year by year numbers or is this your first glance?

Old 07-28-2014, 09:44 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,960,086 times
When I went to work in the banking industry many years ago I was staggered by the forced unfair political cleanup of the S&L crisis and the people I worked with promised I would be more shocked by the mortgage guidelines being forced by the federal government.

Sure enough it looked like traditional sound underwriting standards were pushed out by the feds and replaced with affirmative action goals but the bankers said we will manage as we are selling the loans to the government and in the secondary market.

Like any unsound strategy the whole thing collapsed and I have no doubt we will repeat again in some variation created by government.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:13 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
I recently took on a technical job in the capital markets division of one of the largest mortgage origination firms in the country. Needless to say, the position requires that I see a lot of the transaction data related to the mortgages we write, critical information such as the type of product, client, etc. Not long after being on the job I began to notice a lot of FHA product coming through our system. Curious as to whether my intuition was accurate, I ran some queries against a couple of our major data warehouses that are used in product reporting. It turned out that over 40% of our product in the last year has been FHA related (we're talking millions of transactions). I couldn't believe it. I can only imagine the kind of risk the federal government is assuming. I guess hard-lessons lead to soft-responses
Any time the general public can buy houses with less than 20% down and 30-year loans, it is risky for several years, if the value drops much they will be underwater.

20% down provides more of a cushion and 15-year loans accumulate an equity cushion much more quickly since the principal repayment is much larger than for a 30-year.

Note that America is very unusual in offering 30-year fixed rate mortgages at all. No such thing exists in most of the rest of the world, Canada included. This makes it a classic example of government interference in the markets, since they likely wouldn't exist here either without government backing, or the Fed artificially suppressing long term interest rates. If rates went up to their normal levels for market risk without government backing, there wouldn't be enough demand for 30-year loans either by borrowers or investors to make it worthwhile, so the US wouldn't have them, making America re-join the rest of the world.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:29 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,793,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
Am I understanding correctly that you are talking straight mortgages, and not derivative products such as CMO's (collateralized mortgage obligations) ??

The real problem in the real estate bubble and collapse in the 2000's was the frenzy regarding CMO's, which allowed a lender to easily pass off all risk to someone else. This created a kind of Ponzi scheme, with the extra dimension of a game of hot potato. Add to that the fraudulent AAA ratings that Moodys, Fitch, and Standard & Poors gave in return for a tripling of their fees, and the net result was disaster.

I may be wrong, and please, everyone, feel free to correct me, but I believe the FHA has certain standards for an FHA loan and it has nothing to do with CMO's.

My instinct is to be less worried about what you have found. The current real estate market is such that only those with decent credit can get loans. The flippers, who deal in cash, seem to be driving a significant percentage of the market. Either way, less risk.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:08 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Any time the general public can buy houses with less than 20% down and 30-year loans, it is risky for several years, if the value drops much they will be underwater.

20% down provides more of a cushion and 15-year loans accumulate an equity cushion much more quickly since the principal repayment is much larger than for a 30-year.

Note that America is very unusual in offering 30-year fixed rate mortgages at all. No such thing exists in most of the rest of the world, Canada included. This makes it a classic example of government interference in the markets, since they likely wouldn't exist here either without government backing, or the Fed artificially suppressing long term interest rates. If rates went up to their normal levels for market risk without government backing, there wouldn't be enough demand for 30-year loans either by borrowers or investors to make it worthwhile, so the US wouldn't have them, making America re-join the rest of the world.

Europeans are much more in favor or adjustable rate mortgages. Do you know the terms of most of their mortgages?

Old 07-31-2014, 12:00 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,890,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Europeans are much more in favor or adjustable rate mortgages. Do you know the terms of most of their mortgages?
Fixed rate mortgages on residential property is pretty much a US-only product. Thirty year loans are pretty rare too in the rest of the world.

The risks will always be related to debt/income ratios in markets where mortgages are the norm. If incomes fall and/or debt ratios become too high, mortgages fail. This is the normal relationship and were the first domino causing the 2008 financial panic. Bad economic conditions made incomes in aggregate fall and there was no cushion whatsoever on the debt/income ratios leading to the first round of defaults and devaluations. This pressured the banking system which created more income loss and a re-evaluation of what was an appropriate debt/income ratio causing a cascade of losses until the government stepped in and ended the cascade.

In a world where FHA dominates origination, the system is greatly cushioned. FHA fees have been going way up over the last few years. All loans with under 20% equity charge a pretty significant premium for mortgage insurance and now you essentially prepay it for the entire period its required, so if you later refi the loan FHA pockets the premium and has no risk. This is the real endgame with FHA loans. They originate and hold some risk, but have a building cushion of mortgage insurance which isn't tapped much in a time of rising home values. Eventually their terms become more onerous than the marketplace offers and private origination increases while FHA loses share. If because the environment becomes too volatile and the private market backs away from origination in the future, FHA will gain share and keep some stability to the market.

Now of course if the market has another cascade of losses and home values drop 40% or more the FHA is going to have issues, but the hope is that is a once in a 100 year scenario. In the business world, no business can operate efficiently if all it ever does is prepare for the worst case scenario.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:11 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
As long as people can afford the payments they sign up for, I think we are OK.

In my area, which was a foreclosure hotspot, droves of people were taking loans with unaffordable terms. That was the problem.

Like the vast majority of people in my area, I found myself substantially upside down a few years ago. I seriously considered "walking away", but in the end, I chose to stay put and keep making my mortgage payments. Why? The payments are affordable, so why not?

Old 08-01-2014, 09:01 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,792,261 times
I thought about FHA on my first house. The fees were rediculous and the GMI was also terrible. FHA didn't require much, but for standard PMI all that was required was 5 percent down. I ended up doing lender paid PMI with 5 percent down on a 30 year note. The 15 year note was something we weren't sure we could swing on a month to month basis. FHA was a good deal a few years ago. Not anymore for many buyers.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:44 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Fixed rate mortgages on residential property is pretty much a US-only product. Thirty year loans are pretty rare too in the rest of the world.

The risks will always be related to debt/income ratios in markets where mortgages are the norm. If incomes fall and/or debt ratios become too high, mortgages fail. This is the normal relationship and were the first domino causing the 2008 financial panic. Bad economic conditions made incomes in aggregate fall and there was no cushion whatsoever on the debt/income ratios leading to the first round of defaults and devaluations. This pressured the banking system which created more income loss and a re-evaluation of what was an appropriate debt/income ratio causing a cascade of losses until the government stepped in and ended the cascade.

In a world where FHA dominates origination, the system is greatly cushioned. FHA fees have been going way up over the last few years. All loans with under 20% equity charge a pretty significant premium for mortgage insurance and now you essentially prepay it for the entire period its required, so if you later refi the loan FHA pockets the premium and has no risk. This is the real endgame with FHA loans. They originate and hold some risk, but have a building cushion of mortgage insurance which isn't tapped much in a time of rising home values. Eventually their terms become more onerous than the marketplace offers and private origination increases while FHA loses share. If because the environment becomes too volatile and the private market backs away from origination in the future, FHA will gain share and keep some stability to the market.

Now of course if the market has another cascade of losses and home values drop 40% or more the FHA is going to have issues, but the hope is that is a once in a 100 year scenario. In the business world, no business can operate efficiently if all it ever does is prepare for the worst case scenario.
History indicates it's more of a "once every 30 years" scenario. Of course, in '82 it was because the Fed ran mortgage rates to 18% and no one could afford the payments. If you were trying to sell, you were out of luck. It took a long time for prices to recover and rates to come down. I bought a place in '86 for 45% of the last sale price, and the best rate I could get was 10%. By '94, when I moved again, mortgage rates were down to 8.5% and prices still hadn't fully recovered.

The big banking crisis back then was that banks had a lot of low interest mortgages outstanding, and weren't making any money. We also had to bail out the (recently deregulated) Savings and Loan industry. It was quite a scandal at the time, with S&L board members and execs lining their pockets at taxpayer expense. Sound familiar?

It only takes one generation for people to forget and start doing stupid stuff again. Look for the next big housing disaster sometime around 2035 or 2040.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics