Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 08:33 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,220,175 times

Advertisements

For many reasons, the population of singletons are increasing in the US. Never before in our history have there been so many singletons, young, middle aged, and old.

What are the economic issues as a result of us becoming a nation of singletons? A nation of singletons is also a nation of individuals.

It means probably a much lower birth rate, except immigration.
It means more people will demand affordable and small housing.
Fewer people will be keenly interested in public schools, education, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 08:41 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,532,090 times
Birthrates have fluctuated, so I would study the historical impacts if I wanted to get an idea of what to expect.

Could you provide some evidence for your claims? I'm 57, and I haven't seen much, if any increase in the number of single people throughout my life. Furthermore, being single does not necessarily affect the birthrate, and hence, interest in public schools.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Birthrates have fluctuated, so I would study the historical impacts if I wanted to get an idea of what to expect.

Could you provide some evidence for your claims? I'm 57, and I haven't seen much, if any increase in the number of single people throughout my life. Furthermore, being single does not necessarily affect the birthrate, and hence, interest in public schools.
Being single sure doesn't mean no procreation, but it is less than a society based on marriage and relationships. Around the time of the census, there were lots of reports on this trend. You can find it easily by googling.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:43 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times
Quote:

I think OP is counting unmarried as single. I am unmarried, but I am not single.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:48 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
Quote:

The US birthrate has been dropping, teen birthrates hit an all time low last year well all time since they started keep track, birthrates for 20 year olds also dropped. The US rate is now 1.8 or so which is below the replacement rate which means without immigration our population will decline

Old 08-17-2014, 09:04 PM

And what you people are not answering the question on the sharing your opinions. What are the economic issues?

Old 08-17-2014, 09:14 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
And what you people are not answering the question on the sharing your opinions. What are the economic issues?
I don't think there are any, at least not related to marriage rates. Most of the land in desirable places is already utilized. Public schools and education are things we all benefit from. There might be more vocal opponents to the child tax credits, EITC, SS payout structure, and marital tax breaks, but I don't see much changing. Singapore has a birth rate around 1.19 and they still invest in schools.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I don't think there are any, at least not related to marriage rates. Most of the land in desirable places is already utilized. Public schools and education are things we all benefit from. There might be more vocal opponents to the child tax credits, EITC, SS payout structure, and marital tax breaks, but I don't see much changing. Singapore has a birth rate around 1.19 and they still invest in schools.
You answered my questions. I was not asking about education. I was asking about economic issues which you have listed plenty. These issues however are not small. You think married people would be willing to give up their tax breaks? It's not like they are doing very well financially. What it is is that it is going to be a series of financial conflicts in the United States.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:00 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Wealth building is a lot harder in a nation of singles. Will impact the housing market greatly: harder to save up for a down payment on one income. Retirement savings as well.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:37 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The US birthrate has been dropping, teen birthrates hit an all time low last year well all time since they started keep track, birthrates for 20 year olds also dropped. The US rate is now 1.8 or so which is below the replacement rate which means without immigration our population will decline

Isn't population decline the only hope for the poor who yearn for affordable housing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics