Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 06:55 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,499,177 times

Advertisements

You should retain an attorney and have the $$$ disbursed to the law firm account.

This will give you some time to breathe and decide where you want it to go. You also need a good accountant, for tax issues. To proceed on your own from Day One is crazy, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 08:24 AM

34,109 posts, read 83,064,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
What do estate tax laws have to do with this?
The measures that responsible people will take to avoid them
(whatever the level or severity of the taxable amount).

hth

If the OP is in an inheritance situation...
this tells me their benefactor should have set up a trust to manage the money
at least until the OP has learned *how* things work and demonstrated good judgment.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:43 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,621,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The measures that responsible people will take to avoid them
(whatever the level or severity of the taxable amount).

hth

If the OP is in an inheritance situation...
this tells me their benefactor should have set up a trust to manage the money
at least until the OP has learned *how* things work and demonstrated good judgment.

The OP question has nothing to do with estate taxes or the avoidance of it

Old 10-15-2014, 09:50 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,432,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I'm talking over $5million. You don't want "financial advisors" sticking their noses and hands into your money since you already know what you're going to do with it. Big problem is, FDIC only covers $250K. TOTAL... so even if you have 10 accounts at one bank with $250K in each one, you'll only be covered for $250K in the event something happens. So, what do you do? Do you spread this money out over several banks?

Youre kidding right? Those financial adivsors are there to tell you that instead of earning a fraction of a percent on your 5million you should be earning 5-6% in the market in a diversified portfolio to protect you from risk. Its the difference between earning 50k a year and 300k a year. Even if they have a 1% fee youll have 297k in income in the first year by using one.....vs 50k from the bank... If youd rather earn 50k just to keep advisors "noses out of your money" then you don't deserve 5 million dollars.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:53 AM

148 posts, read 524,056 times
I am sure no financial adviser or CPA would have a problem with me immediately buying an reasonable condo with furnishings and car. I would then interview a few that has reasonable fees and would understand my goal of creating financial security for the rest of my life, which would be a long time being I'm 24. I would still expect to work and live a nice middle class life style. But it would sure be nice to know that if I loose my job or take a summer to travel, I would not have to worry about loosing my home.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:16 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,089,035 times
I would multiply the money by buying $5 million worth of lottery tickets. I'd definitely win, right?

Old 10-15-2014, 10:37 AM

1,522 posts, read 3,003,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Between sipc, FDIC and ncua you should be able to pull off insured coverage if you wanted to stay relatively risk free(there are still risk involved) without short term us govt debt. Here's how it works

https://www.fdic.gov/edie/fdic_info.html

A simple single name account for a husband, one for a wife and one joint account = 1mm in coverage per bank

Add in trust, retirement and other account types and it's not hard to spread it out.

Most of our large clients don't worry about this though we do have two different banks to spread deposits around which means those 3 accounts would provide coverage for 2mm
Tack on enough beneficiaries, use sole and joint accounts, retirement, and others and it is possible to hit $5 million in coverage in one bank.

I think as others said it would probably be more appropriate to spread funds around in various vehicles, such as cash, mutual funds, bond funds, Star Wars figures and others.

Of course, I've always thought, if $5 million was enough to last your lifetime and were not concerned about potential growth, there really nothing wrong with sitting on it all in cash. Sure, there's an opportunity cost there, but there's also an opportunity cost going the other direction. If one spent $50,000 a year and had zero interest on that account, it would take 100 years to spend it all - and that's assuming you have no other income ever.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:27 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,432,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
Tack on enough beneficiaries, use sole and joint accounts, retirement, and others and it is possible to hit $5 million in coverage in one bank.

I think as others said it would probably be more appropriate to spread funds around in various vehicles, such as cash, mutual funds, bond funds, Star Wars figures and others.

Of course, I've always thought, if $5 million was enough to last your lifetime and were not concerned about potential growth, there really nothing wrong with sitting on it all in cash. Sure, there's an opportunity cost there, but there's also an opportunity cost going the other direction. If one spent $50,000 a year and had zero interest on that account, it would take 100 years to spend it all - and that's assuming you have no other income ever.

Your point is obvious but bear in mind that due to inflation in 100 years 50k will be NOTHING.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:39 AM

21,886 posts, read 25,201,372 times
So put it in 20 banks.

If you're crazy risk averse, you could put it in Treasuries as well. I mean, if the government defaults on Treasuries, it's not like the FDIC is likely to be paying out either.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:04 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,242,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Your point is obvious but bear in mind that due to inflation in 100 years 50k will be NOTHING.
Exactly, $50K might only be able to buy a week's worth or groceries 100 years from now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics