Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 02:42 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,816 times

Advertisements

Defining Away Economic Failure
Redefinition Is America’s Most Powerful Factor of Production
Paul Craig Roberts
Defining Away Economic Failure -- Paul Craig Roberts - PaulCraigRoberts.org

Some highlights:
" From October 2008 to the present, 13.2 million Americans were added to the working age population, but only 818 thousand, or 6%, entered the labor force. http://investmentresearchdynamics.com/americas-structural-job-depression-is-here-to-stay/ "

Dr. Paul Craig Roberts

"What about the stock market? It has been down in recent days but is still high historically. Isn’t the stock market evidence of a good economy? Not if stocks are up because corporations are buying back their own stock. Corporations are now the largest buyers of stocks. Recently we learned that from 2006 through 2013 corporations authorized $4.14 trillion in buybacks of their publicly traded stocks. Moreover, it appears that corporations have been borrowing the money from banks with which to buy back their stocks."

Dr. Paul Craig Roberts

"Borrowing to buyback stock leaves a company with debt but without new investment with which to produce revenues to service the debt. The massive stock buybacks demonstrate that American capitalism is now corrupt. In order to maximize personal short-term financial benefits flowing from bonuses, stock options, and capital gains, CEOs, boards of directors, and shareholders are decapitalizing public companies and loading them up with debt."

Dr. Paul Craig Roberts

Here is Max Keiser explaining the same thing. It's a bubble based on fraud.

Keiser Report: Bond Bubble Burst (E609) - YouTube
Fast forward to the 6 minute mark if you must. Watch 6 minute to 10 minute mark.

It's all fraud people.

"We live in a lie, and the lie is ever expanding."
Dr. Paul Craig Roberts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 04:06 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
Defining Away Economic Failure
Redefinition Is America’s Most Powerful Factor of Production
Paul Craig Roberts
Defining Away Economic Failure -- Paul Craig Roberts - PaulCraigRoberts.org

Some highlights:
" From October 2008 to the present, 13.2 million Americans were added to the working age population, but only 818 thousand, or 6%, entered the labor force. http://investmentresearchdynamics.com/americas-structural-job-depression-is-here-to-stay/ "

Dr. Paul Craig Roberts

"What about the stock market? It has been down in recent days but is still high historically. Isn’t the stock market evidence of a good economy? Not if stocks are up because corporations are buying back their own stock. Corporations are now the largest buyers of stocks. Recently we learned that from 2006 through 2013 corporations authorized $4.14 trillion in buybacks of their publicly traded stocks. Moreover, it appears that corporations have been borrowing the money from banks with which to buy back their stocks."

Dr. Paul Craig Roberts

"Borrowing to buyback stock leaves a company with debt but without new investment with which to produce revenues to service the debt. The massive stock buybacks demonstrate that American capitalism is now corrupt. In order to maximize personal short-term financial benefits flowing from bonuses, stock options, and capital gains, CEOs, boards of directors, and shareholders are decapitalizing public companies and loading them up with debt."

Dr. Paul Craig Roberts

Here is Max Keiser explaining the same thing. It's a bubble based on fraud.

Keiser Report: Bond Bubble Burst (E609) - YouTube
Fast forward to the 6 minute mark if you must. Watch 6 minute to 10 minute mark.

It's all fraud people.

"We live in a lie, and the lie is ever expanding."
Dr. Paul Craig Roberts
And artificially low interest rates are only making it worse by incentivizing excessive debt!

Old 08-05-2014, 09:04 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
I don't necessarily disagree. But what practical suggestions do you have? The only thing I can think of is getting off the money system entirely and being as self sufficient as possible. But that's easier said than done. Most people don't have the skills for it, and I suspect (can't prove it, haven't looked into it deeply enough) the legal system discourages rural, self sufficient living in a number of subtle & overt ways....I don't think it's an accident that the family farm has largely disappeared.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I had not realized that reason for the highly overvalued market running over 16,000. I may be time to take my capital and put it into a sock.

FWIW - This might also explain why so many people are buying classic cars for 60 to 200 thousand dollars each instead of putting the money into the market.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:38 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,678,784 times
These types of threads are instructional if for no other reason than their support of the notion that something is terribly wrong in the US financial system, it isn't that most people don't know that, but the mechanics of the scheming, lying, law defying, business as usual mentality that dominates Wall street is often defended as "capitalism" at work and therefore beyond reproach. This is the dream of Ayn Rand gone bad. Unrestricted capitalism is every bit as bad as any Russian communism or Central American statist economy.

For every Paul Roberts there's probably two others who will defend to the death the notion that our financial system is "the best one going,"or "it's doing just fine and has been for years", they see these inconsistencies and lies as the exception and not the rule. The other component in the present system that doesn't get the press it deserves is the fact that these quasi criminal acts are part and parcel of why the "market" is so lucrative for those willing to take the risks most often associated with the "best return". That best return is found in the lawlessness of the sub prime securities ratings schemes, or if they are among those who have paid the politicians for a change in old laws that now make the illegal---Legal.

Any of the economic isms found around the globe have these aspects of corruption to them for the simple reason that men are greedy and selfish, and some men who seek power and wealth are greedy beyond any comprehension. The only system that can possibly endure is one that relies heavily upon a strong construct of laws, and the logical follow on to that would be a strong government to provide the consequences for breaking those laws. Look around you today, the propagandists are preaching an opposite remedy of weaker government while advocating for a policy of self policing in the financial sector.

Power is the force and money is the power, so, the tragedy of human greed will be played out to a logical conclusion, and that conclusion would be the realization of our collective failure to achieve a true (balance of power) democracy. On that note I'd have to say we are a long way from understanding the American financial/political system and thus making any real changes to it. Until the average American can see our economy as an entity made up from the political/financial interests of those who benefit from it the most we'll continue to treat the "market" and "government" as two distinct subjects for debate, and that will play into a positive for those who manipulate both...

Old 08-06-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I don't necessarily disagree. But what practical suggestions do you have? The only thing I can think of is getting off the money system entirely and being as self sufficient as possible. But that's easier said than done. Most people don't have the skills for it, and I suspect (can't prove it, haven't looked into it deeply enough) the legal system discourages rural, self sufficient living in a number of subtle & overt ways....I don't think it's an accident that the family farm has largely disappeared.
"But what practical suggestions do you have?"

Ben Franklin. Colonial script.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDtBSiI13fE

Go to minute 33 to 40. Ben Franklin/Colonial Script.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:04 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,378,674 times
During the Clinton administration there was a move to put a much higher tax rate on salaries over 1 million dollars. To get around this boards of directors of many companies opted to pay CEO's and other high ranking employees with stock options which would not be subject to the tax. You know most financial advisors will tell you that an important rule is to "pay yourself first" - meaning put some money in savings before dealing with all your expenses but I guess the boards and CEOs had a different understanding of the concept and decided that if they could keep the value of the stock high by any means necessary they would make more money without having to actually improve the products or services that the company sold.

Ah, the rule of unintended consequences.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
During the Clinton administration there was a move to put a much higher tax rate on salaries over 1 million dollars. To get around this boards of directors of many companies opted to pay CEO's and other high ranking employees with stock options which would not be subject to the tax. You know most financial advisors will tell you that an important rule is to "pay yourself first" - meaning put some money in savings before dealing with all your expenses but I guess the boards and CEOs had a different understanding of the concept and decided that if they could keep the value of the stock high by any means necessary they would make more money without having to actually improve the products or services that the company sold.

Ah, the rule of unintended consequences.
I agree with the gist of what you're saying except for the fact that none of it is "unintended". Please, don't kid yourself.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:00 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Avoid debt (either as a borrower or as a lender for anything except the short term), and if domestic stock is overvalued then invest overseas!

Old 08-06-2014, 07:20 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
I am just happy that this information is becoming mainstream and when I talk to others they react differently than 25 years ago when I first realized how the economy actually works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics