Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 05:44 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,078,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBluesBrother View Post
Baby Boomers grew up in an era where the US had a huge manufacturing sector, strong unions, cheap gas, a very high progressive income tax, and major expansion of affordable housing and free or low cost quality public higher education.

When these a-holes hit their 30's & 40's and started taking over corporations, they destroyed unions, raided pensions, sent our manufacturing sector overseas, fought against public transportation, demanded tax cuts for the wealthy, and replaced public funding for education and housing with finance schemes that caused global economic catastrophe, and put a generation in lifelong debt before they even had a chance to earn income.

Now that they have destroyed the economy for future generations, they have the audacity to preach about "personal responsibility".
You know, I really resent this stupid post. First of all, for some reason unknown to me, I am considered a "boomer". Born in 1963, I believe I'm in the second to the last yr. Ironically, my mom is in the first year of boomers. We have NOTHING in common. My parents enjoyed some of the "perks" you write about, but not those of us in the last few yrs. of boomerhood.

You should know that the youngest boomers are not in the financial shape as the older ones- we span decades. My husband and I will probably never retire as we are stuck helping our millennial children and their kids make ends meet.
So the next time you feel like hating all boomers, do a little research and don't lump us all together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 05:45 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
When these a-holes hit their 30's & 40's and started taking over corporations,
"Taking over corporations" doesn't happen until you're in your 50s and 60s, btw.

I'm certainly disappointed by the Boomer generation myself. We had every intention of fixing the world, but in fact did nothing significantly positive that the War Generation had not already begun.

Yes, we were born with silver spoons in our mouths, as a generation, and our great fault was not realizing those conditions were unique and unsustainable. Yet, the War Generation did a very good job of hiding that fact as the US began to decline in the late 60s and early 70s. Look into the economic shenanigans of the Nixon Administration.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:49 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,291,505 times
Quote:
A lot of people think I'm 26 or 27, even though I'm 36.
Maybe it's because some of your posts, such as the one you began this thread with, are so juvenile and vacuous.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:54 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
You know, I really resent this stupid post. First of all, for some reason unknown to me, I am considered a "boomer". Born in 1963, I believe I'm in the second to the last yr. Ironically, my mom is in the first year of boomers. We have NOTHING in common. My parents enjoyed some of the "perks" you write about, but not those of us in the last few yrs. of boomerhood.

You should know that the youngest boomers are not in the financial shape as the older ones- we span decades. My husband and I will probably never retire as we are stuck helping our millennial children and their kids make ends meet.
So the next time you feel like hating all boomers, do a little research and don't lump us all together.
I don't consider anyone born after 1959 a Boomer. If you look at the birth records, you see the sharp increase of births in the late 40s (the WWII Boomers), then the plateau of the Korean War years, and another smaller increase after the Korean War (the Korean War "boomlet"). But in 1959, the drop off in births is like a cliff. Extending that into the 60s has no logic whatsoever--by 1964, the birth rate was less than half what it had been in 1959.

It has no logic in terms of historical epochs--points that the culture irrevocably changed--either. Just as we can define Millennials as "kids who can't remember a time before the world wide web," we can define Boomers as "kids who remember the time before Kennedy's assassination" and "kids who remember segregation."

Old 11-06-2014, 06:12 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,583,063 times
Quote:
Baby Boomers grew up in an era where the US had a huge manufacturing sector, strong unions, cheap gas, a very high progressive income tax, and major expansion of affordable housing and free or low cost quality public higher education.

When these a-holes hit their 30's & 40's and started taking over corporations, they destroyed unions, raided pensions, sent our manufacturing sector overseas, fought against public transportation, demanded tax cuts for the wealthy, and replaced public funding for education and housing with finance schemes that caused global economic catastrophe, and put a generation in lifelong debt before they even had a chance to earn income.

Now that they have destroyed the economy for future generations, they have the audacity to preach about "personal responsibility".
I'm young enough to be part of the Gen Y / Millennial group, and my dad is from the Silent Generation. My dad has experienced a lot of life and has told me lots of stories and given me many life lessons. Every new group has its challenges, and, no, I don't think age has anything to do with the unabated greed corporations have shown in their rush to disembowel the United States. If anything, I think the younger ones from X and Y should look to their elders for advice and stop letting themselves be led along like greedy children by the next big new shiny thing. If we want a country that we are proud of, we should do what we can to learn about politics and policies and stand up for our rights if we think they are being challenged. As long as we sit idly by, it will continue to happen, and the young and inexperienced people are in danger of making greater mistakes if they are not properly educated. Like the saying goes, "if you don't learn from history; you will be doomed to repeat it!"

Old 11-06-2014, 06:19 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
Quote:

That's a very harsh accusation for anyone born between January 1, 1946 and December 31, 1964 - a 20 year span.

Please tell us when you were born and how you've contributed to ensure the success of the economy.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:26 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,078,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I don't consider anyone born after 1959 a Boomer. If you look at the birth records, you see the sharp increase of births in the late 40s (the WWII Boomers), then the plateau of the Korean War years, and another smaller increase after the Korean War (the Korean War "boomlet"). But in 1959, the drop off in births is like a cliff. Extending that into the 60s has no logic whatsoever--by 1964, the birth rate was less than half what it had been in 1959.

It has no logic in terms of historical epochs--points that the culture irrevocably changed--either. Just as we can define Millennials as "kids who can't remember a time before the world wide web," we can define Boomers as "kids who remember the time before Kennedy's assassination" and "kids who remember segregation."

Be that as it may, 1963 birth year is indeed lumped in with the boomers. I am just making a point that we really have nothing in common with the oldest boomers.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:27 AM

8,051 posts, read 10,642,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think the problem is boomers think the world is the way it was for them BUT it is no longer that way anymore at all.
I agree completely with this statement boomer, but I'm at the tail end of the boomer generation. It's the older boomers that don't get it. Many people in my age bracket (now in our late 40's, early 50's) got caught in our prime years by the disastrous policies put down before us. We have been layed off from those manufacturing jobs, pensions and benefits frozen or taken away, wages stagnating, and watching our retirement years slip farther and farther off in the future, if at all.

It is the OLDER boomers that had it made - job security, low cost of living and decent wages, pensions, and the ability to usually live on one income and still save a good nest egg. My own parents don't understand why my kids, in their early 20's, aren't already out on their own because in "their" day, it was much, much easier to do.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:52 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,068,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hojobojo View Post
Some baby boomers are not suffering from the spoiled economy along with everyone else? All baby boomers are/were in positions of power?
Boomers clearly ended up in positions of power. Too many of them to fill all the posts.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:58 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Every generation thing some other generation is the worst lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics