Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:48 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,748,592 times

Advertisements

This could be anything from newspaper subscription to solar power panels, etc while walking the mall or grocery store.

Do you feel slighted if they seem to approach everyone walking by but somehow skip you. Do you look at yourself and your clothes to see what threw them off to not even approach you. Or maybe you throw off a vibe that you're unapproachable or have that certain scowl that says "hey don't bother me"

Or do you just brush it off and thank god they didn't try to talk to you?

Thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 03:02 PM

21,910 posts, read 25,236,976 times
I don't even brush it off. I definitely throw the don't bother me scowl on as soon as it smells like a cold sale is coming. I that doesn't work I'll walk through them. Never comes to that. They might make a half-hearted attempt at trying to block you, but if you keep purposely walking with just enough deviation to avoid hitting them, they get out of the way.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:30 PM

574 posts, read 698,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
This could be anything from newspaper subscription to solar power panels, etc while walking the mall or grocery store.

Do you feel slighted if they seem to approach everyone walking by but somehow skip you. Do you look at yourself and your clothes to see what threw them off to not even approach you. Or maybe you throw off a vibe that you're unapproachable or have that certain scowl that says "hey don't bother me"

Thoughts
I don't brush it off - I intentionally have that persona. I may quicken my pace, narrow my vision to looking straight ahead, or have a determined look on my face. If they don't talk to me - success!

Old 11-10-2014, 09:22 PM

118 posts, read 157,585 times
Yes, I definitely have that "Don't even start with me look"

It is probably the best thing not to get their hopes up, just go find someone else to make your sale! Same with phone & door sales. If I needs something, I'll know what it is and I'll contact you!

Please don't try to tell me what I need!

Old 11-10-2014, 10:48 PM

3,705 posts, read 4,866,447 times
I don't look at them and walk right on by. Why would it bother me if they ignore me? That is my plan. To have them avoid me and bother someone else. Their not going to sell me anything so I'll make that pretty obvious.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:49 AM

20,361 posts, read 19,972,515 times
I don't make eye contact and keep on truckin'.

If they approach me I quickly say "no thanks" without stopping.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:51 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,800,486 times
Quote:

Thoughts
Nope, happy as a clam.

I hate people and I particularly hate being solicited, be that in a mall or in front of a grocery store.

Leave me the $%Y^#$%&#^*&%^*&* alone!

Old 11-11-2014, 01:56 AM

30,598 posts, read 16,285,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I don't make eye contact and keep on truckin'.

If they approach me I quickly say "no thanks" without stopping.
This^^^

Old 11-11-2014, 01:58 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,328,467 times
Quote:

Thoughts
Why in the world would that bother anyone? It doesn't bother me in the least who talks to whom and honestly I prefer not to be bothered while I'm shopping

Old 11-11-2014, 04:49 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,695,068 times
I was in a Books A Million once in line to buy some books and the cashier was asking everyone in front of me if theyd like to know about the so and so book savers club save so much yadda yadda yadda. Then when i got to the counter....nothing. No offers no inquiries no sales pitch just the total and that was it. Yeah i was kinda ticked.

However that was the only time ive ever been upset about not being solicited (or whatever).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics