Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 09:38 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,886 times

Advertisements

I just came across this term and sort of like the idea.

YoYo stands for "you're on your own". Which I think is a pretty good way to look at things....self-reliance. I think the concept dovetails nicely with US culture and society, which is more about individualism and lone wolfs vs "the group" (or 'the herd').,,in otherwords I think we are a YoYo Society, so YoYo Economics would be the expected way to approach economic topics.

Here's the wiki:

YOYO economics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In short, no whining! Economic circustances dealt you a bum deck in the poker game of life? Suck it up...you're on your own.

I can appreciate that sentiment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 11:15 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,577,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post

YoYo stands for "you're on your own". Which I think is a pretty good way to look at things....self-reliance. I think the concept dovetails nicely with US culture and society, which is more about individualism and lone wolfs vs "the group" (or 'the herd').,,in otherwords I think we are a YoYo Society, so YoYo Economics would be the expected way to approach economic topics.

Here's the wiki:

In short, no whining! Economic circustances dealt you a bum deck in the poker game of life? Suck it up...you're on your own.

The problem I have with most YoYo proponents is that they seem to have this nasty habit of being unwilling to admit to the reality that unfortunate circumstances are not always due to a lack of effort, work ethic, or motivation but sometimes due to legitimate, honest, and unforeseen bad luck.

I don't know when this attitude became a fad, but it drives me nuts. Some of the more extreme proponents of this view (those on this forum included) even go so far as failing to notice that they are contradicting themselves when they on the one hand argue that people should take more risk and on the other, simultaneously argue that there is no such thing as bad luck. To appreciate the logical contradiction, one only needs to realize that by definition, risk-taking involves getting into a situation where there is some chance of having bad luck. If there is no chance of bad luck, then by definition, it is not risky! Therefore, it is a logical contradiction to simultaneously maintain the positions that (a) there is no such thing as bad luck, and (b) People need to be willing to take more risks.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:20 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Quote:

Here's the wiki:

But then we can eliminate all free services which 60% rely on can't we. Start toll services.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:32 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,217,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
The problem I have with most YoYo proponents is that they seem to have this nasty habit of being unwilling to admit to the reality that unfortunate circumstances are not always due to a lack of effort, work ethic, or motivation but sometimes due to legitimate, honest, and unforeseen bad luck.

I don't know when this attitude became a fad, but it drives me nuts. Some of the more extreme proponents of this view (those on this forum included) even go so far as failing to notice that they are contradicting themselves when they on the one hand argue that people should take more risk and on the other, simultaneously argue that there is no such thing as bad luck. To appreciate the logical contradiction, one only needs to realize that by definition, risk-taking involves getting into a situation where there is some chance of having bad luck. If there is no chance of bad luck, then by definition, it is not risky! Therefore, it is a logical contradiction to simultaneously maintain the positions that (a) there is no such thing as bad luck, and (b) People need to be willing to take more risks.
No the is no contradiction. There is bad luck. People have to deal with it. Taking risks is a matter of life. Life is full of risks.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:40 AM

21,831 posts, read 25,114,712 times
We spend a tremendous amount of welfare in this country, way more than on defense. We're more YoYo than most OECD countries, but hardly YoYo.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:46 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,577,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
No the is no contradiction. There is bad luck. People have to deal with it. Taking risks is a matter of life. Life is full of risks.
Ok at least you admit that there is bad luck, unlike some people on this forum that I am not going to name right now.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:01 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,789,609 times
Well, once upon a time, there were entry level jobs. Once upon a time there were move up jobs. Now all those jobs are in China or elsewhere overseas.

Oh wait. It's a global economy. That make's it all better.

Tell that to the next homeless person you pass on the street.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:07 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,673,531 times
Well, I'd loved to have the yo yo principle apply to those who feel that the government is their private ATM, from the bums on relief who can work, to the bums on Wall street in their multi-thousand dollar suits. What gets to me is the new found hatred for those in real need while simultaneously displaying an almost empathetic whine in favor of those millionaire bums who took us to the cleaners in 08. I guess failing isn't an option for everyone.

The notion that a modern society, that is missing huge chunks of it's legacy economic construct that encouraged a kind of hearty individualism, will be unchanged by all the factors brought to bear on a global economy is just plain ridiculous. But this is the land of trendy thinking and the yo yo notion is certainly part of that follower mentality that has passed for true critical thought for far too long. In the limited scope of pop culture thought the yo yo is simply another opportunity to have meaningless cliches substitute for real discourse. America has real problems and this is what is offered for the proles to ponder.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:04 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times
Quote:

Here's the wiki:

exactly why it's time to take down excess regulation.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:48 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,217,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Well, I'd loved to have the yo yo principle apply to those who feel that the government is their private ATM, from the bums on relief who can work, to the bums on Wall street in their multi-thousand dollar suits. What gets to me is the new found hatred for those in real need while simultaneously displaying an almost empathetic whine in favor of those millionaire bums who took us to the cleaners in 08. I guess failing isn't an option for everyone.

The notion that a modern society, that is missing huge chunks of it's legacy economic construct that encouraged a kind of hearty individualism, will be unchanged by all the factors brought to bear on a global economy is just plain ridiculous. But this is the land of trendy thinking and the yo yo notion is certainly part of that follower mentality that has passed for true critical thought for far too long. In the limited scope of pop culture thought the yo yo is simply another opportunity to have meaningless cliches substitute for real discourse. America has real problems and this is what is offered for the proles to ponder.
As long as you have those that are on relief and can work but don't, and those on Wall Street making government serve only them, and as long as you blame only one but not the other, we as a society won't move on. Those in the middle are not going to pour their tears toward those who can but don't work, at a time our economy has structurally changed. Look, we are all in this, all trying to figure out how to live in this global economy. But a lot of people want to hold on to their former lifestyle by asking other people to sacrifice for them.

The complacency and comfort and nostalgia came from the period after the war. But those countries that were ruined by wars and forbidden in communism, have all come back. They are competing with America on all fronts. The post war American prosperity was an accident. Our advantages were meant to be temporary.

But americans fail to recognize that. When things got worse, we started borrowing. We started wars funded by those who will be the next superpowers. We embraced credit cards. We drank the cool aid of funding education, home, vacations, all on debt. Because that was the only way that we could continue to feel our advantages that had ceased to exist long ago. America also prioritized cultural agendas over economic ones. It became all about divorce, personal enrichment, foodism, diversity, all the while our competitors built better infrastructure, educated their once poor people, wooed in millions of jobs, and strengthened their education system. They have a real middle class emerging. We? We belittled the family, commitment, tradition. We belittle those nerds and blue collar workers. We always looked down on our debtors whose people were too clueless about American same sex relationships. We were most proud of America not when the middle class did well but when a mixed race rich man rose to presidency. Why? Because we are the most privileged nation and people. We assume taht we simply don't need to worry a both economics. Money flows to us automatically, and that we should be higher than that, that we should care about fashionable causes and arrogant self decay. We are somehow superior, financially and morally. Our bookstores are filled with divorcees traveling in exotic lands. There is no book on fixing your car or making a non gourmet meal. We tell our children that they all go to college, be whatever they want to be, all work office jobs. Someone would go in great debt to have a degree in nature documentary making or food politics. Are we out of our mind or what?! Our logic is this:if it feels good, it's good. If it's well intentioned, it shouldn't be challenged.

The credit cards we loved now don't seem right. We blame these cards. We blame the bankers and techies who created them. Deep down, Americans loathe ourselves. We blame our problems on everybody else. We are fallen kings and queens that act like spoiled children. Implicitly, we hate to face the mirror and see exactly what we look like. We fear that we would see a loser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics