Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 02:39 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,790,366 times

Advertisements

SOURCE

The following comes from the PBS Here and Now Source

Andrew Keen works in Silicon Valley and founded a couple of start-ups, but he’s not sold on the Internet.

In his latest book “The Internet Is Not The Answer,” Keen makes the case that the Internet as it exists now hurts the middle class.

“The economics of the Internet lend themselves of a winner-take all economy,” Keen tells Here & Now‘s Jeremy Hobson, “The hollowing out of the middle class, the emergence of a tiny plutocratic elite of Silicon Valley entrepreneurs and technologists.”

Moderator cut: .

Last edited by yellowbelle; 12-28-2015 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: copyright - refer to TOS for suggestions on referencing material first posted elsewhere on thw intwrnet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 07:42 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Of course thw intwrnet [sic] is not the answer, it is one piece of the puzzle, among many others. It is certainly a centerpiece of modern life in the Western world, though.

Old 12-25-2015, 06:19 AM

957 posts, read 1,132,973 times
For sure Internet didn't bring in more jobs, like the old manifacture did when it replaced agriculture

old industry created more and professional jobs than agricolture or puttin'-out system, created mass market, mass literacy and everyone, more or less, benefited from it

today Internet seem to destroy jobs, especially those connected to music, art and cinema
and differently from the old mass media it even doeasn't pay who produce contents (i.e. the people who write and make video via social media)

Old 12-27-2015, 02:44 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
For sure Internet didn't bring in more jobs, like the old manifacture did when it replaced agriculture

old industry created more and professional jobs than agricolture or puttin'-out system, created mass market, mass literacy and everyone, more or less, benefited from it

today Internet seem to destroy jobs, especially those connected to music, art and cinema
and differently from the old mass media it even doeasn't pay who produce contents (i.e. the people who write and make video via social media)
Actually, it does. There's a relatively small number of people that do make quite a bit of money from YouTube videos and the like. There's also authors who publish exclusively through Amazon, mostly Kindle Unlimited, who make a very good living that way. The arts seldom have really made money. Before mass media it was mostly done through patronage. Mass media was what really allowed commercial art as we know it today to exist, and the Internet is just a continuation of that.

I'd agree with the author that the Internet was never some great equalizer the way some people envisioned it would be, though. I guess that isn't a surprise to me since I never thought it would solve poverty, world hunger, or any great societal problems just as things like the printing press or radio or television did not before it. It basically has similar problems that all those other forms of media had before. They're not any different, really. You have the same issues with old media like television, radio, or magazines that you have today. Everyone benefits, but the benefits were the furthest thing from egalitarian. You had your publisher/advertising elect mostly in NYC, your Hollywood elite, your Silicon Valley elite. Everyone benefited, but a few benefited much more greatly than did everyone.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:18 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times
IMO the Internet is one BIG answer. Because it can save middle class people much money and time.

I shop and save on the internet most any day. And avoid having to drive and travel to do so. Saving time and gas and most of the time sales tax. Typically there are substantial savings even if shipping is an added cost. Especially if a used item is good enough.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:52 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Isn't that the fault of capitalism, rather than the internet?

Old 01-04-2016, 09:01 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Fault? It is a benefit of, or contributor to, capitalism.

Almost anyone can now harness the internet for increased sales opportunities.

I have sold used PC video cards on eBay.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:05 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
The internet made it so some Asian sitting in a grass hut has the same access to information I do. Before the internet, the information was inaccessible to them. That leveled the playing field and allowed Asia to compete in high IPR economic sectors that were previously concentrated in first world countries. Take telecom for instance. In 1985, to do telecom in the United States, you needed to have a hard copy of the Bellcore LSSGR. Printed, that was about 10 linear feet of paper and cost more than $10,000. My corporate library had a copy. Someone in China had no access at all. Today, all the IETF standards are online and free. Ditto the ETSI European telecom standards. Most of the US ones are online. If they're not free, the downloads are inexpensive. AT&T Bell Labs is long gone. Ditto the Bell Northern Research arm of Nortel. Lucent crashed and is part of struggling Alcatel. Nortel is long gone. Other than Cisco, pretty much nobody is left in the United States and Cisco is having big problems these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics