Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 03:17 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times

Advertisements

Freeloading?

"Opportunisting?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 10:23 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You're not required to produce anything new.

Your only requirement is to create efficiency.

Your argument fails because you assume there is no benefit to renting, when in fact there is.

Why must I purchase land to produce something? It could be far more advantageous for me to rent, than to buy.
I am making no such assumption. And besides, then you are CONSUMING the service of using the land, not producing it.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:31 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
When I think of rent-seeking, I think of mainly lobbying and the use of politics to tap into revenue. For example, Wal Mart going to Congress to get a law passed requiring the reduction of credit card 'swipe' fees. Or a pro-sports team getting a taxpayer-funded stadium.
Interesting OP. When I think of the term, I usually think along these or similar lines, as in economic inefficiency through poor allocation of resources, sortof like an economic opportunity cost. An over-dependence on rent-seeking activities over the long term often leads to unintended (unfavorable) consequences.

The following has an interesting focus in describing rent-seeking, briefly discussing financialization & contains this example, it is perhaps more metaphorical but I happen to like for some reason:

Quote:
The classic example of rent-seeking, according to Robert Shiller, is that of a feudal lord who installs a chain across a river that flows through his land and then hires a collector to charge passing boats a fee (or rent of the section of the river for a few minutes) to lower the chain. There is nothing productive about the chain or the collector. The lord has made no improvements to the river and is helping nobody in any way, directly or indirectly, except himself. All he is doing is finding a way to make money from something that used to be free. If enough lords along the river follow suit, its use may be severely curtailed.
Robert J. Shiller*on the unproductive financial workforce. - Project Syndicate

Old 08-28-2015, 12:26 PM

20,726 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
If I rent land to you, and you use that land to create something, then how is that not win-win?

Especially if what you create is in excess of the rent.

Why would you want to?

Renting...

Mircea

Sounds good. How about I charge you some rent for the land you are currently using?

I mean if you want to abuse the term applicable to classical economics , aka "rent seeking", that is most applicable to the term "monopoly income" , then by all means contribute to the chaos since its more fun. However if you actually wanted to communicate something comprehensible then you would not confuse it with the compensation for the superintendence of land management. However when the room is scare, its hardly about the cost of superintendence . There is monopoly income or rent seeking....

communicating properly ....

Old 08-29-2015, 09:07 AM

316 posts, read 877,365 times
Rentier class. aka the bloodsucking leeches of wall street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics