Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 06:43 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times

Advertisements

The Third Quarter is starting off with a bang. You can see directly how the economy is doing by counting the trucks on the freeway, and the freeways are clogged with trucks. Just today I saw flatbeds full of empty carboys, flatbeds full of structural steel, flatbeds full of rebar, and many contract shippers. Some of the large cars were brand new, so the shippers plan on keeping their rigs busy.

My projection is that the third quarter numbers will "exceed projections." Bon temps roulez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 05:34 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,929 times
I'd like to know where you live. From what I see it is bad. I've been in construction seven years and this is the worst I've ever seen it. Some of the guys that I work with that have been doing it for 20 years say this is the worst it's ever been.

My dad is in the car business. Same thing there too. All of the dealers he knows are saying how their sales are way off.

Not to burst your bubble OP, just giving you my perspective

Old 07-08-2016, 05:44 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,391,598 times
I work with the public and I visit with them about how things are going. Folks working in retail here in Pensacola say this has been a really tough year. On the other hand, my son in Tulsa works in high end retail (appliances) and he says there it has been odd an year -- less shoppers overall but the people shopping are buying so the bottom line is ok.
I think it is probably regional and so, depending on where you live and work, you may have a different perspective.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:04 PM

My observations were on I-5, which is the main shipping artery on the West Coast. I'm about halfway between Seattle and SF. I can understand why you don't see much activity in an economic backwater like Pennsylvania. I don't know that the rust belt will ever recover.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:22 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,960,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
My observations were on I-5, which is the main shipping artery on the West Coast. I'm about halfway between Seattle and SF.
It seems to me that I5 is 25% undersized for the population supported so compared to elsewhere in the country it always seems clogged with trucks.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
It seems to me that I5 is 25% undersized for the population supported so compared to elsewhere in the country it always seems clogged with trucks.
The amount of truck shipping varies with the economy. When there are fewer trucks on I-5, the next quarterly report will show a struggling economy. When there are more trucks, the next report will be a happy one. If you wait until official numbers you will always be months behind reality. Instead of waiting for someone to tell you what happened, pay attention to what is happening.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:35 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
My dad is in the car business. Same thing there too. All of the dealers he knows are saying how their sales are way off.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:37 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Default Data are your friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You can see directly how the economy is doing by counting the trucks on the freeway, and the freeways are clogged with trucks.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:41 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,577,118 times
Rail and truck traffic

https://www.aar.org/newsandevents/Pr...iltraffic.aspx

ATA Truck Tonnage Index Increased 2.7% in May

Long Beach Port container traffic

http://www.polb.com/economics/stats/latest_teus.asp

My guess is that any "beat" expectations will largely be due to favorable currency translations from the falling US dollar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics