Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 11:34 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Buffett is correct....we didn't have internet, PC, smart phones, youtube, etc. when we were younger. Young people need to quit crying and enjoy their good fortune.
I am going to take this advice and live it up. I plan on hitting several exotic locations within the next few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 11:49 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Ok, I'll tell the insurance company that sends me the bill they are being drama kings because you said so.
Sometimes I question your ability to comprehend simple concepts, either that or you purposefully ignore things which is most likely the case vs a comprehension issue. You exaggerate often and extrapolate small examples to the majority. I didn't say yoypur insurance company was a drama king

Quote:
So no one else here thinks groceries went up. Wow... I better change where I go grocery shopping.

Hence my question to the person I orginally quoted, what where they talking about when they said most and what time frame. Inflation isn't currently an issue and hasn't been for some time

Old 02-28-2016, 12:23 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The first mistake is looking to government to help.
The government is us. We, the people.

My post had nothing to do with the government, as such. It was about politicians being corrupt and serving special interests, rather than we, the people (the government).

Anyone who runs for a government office while declaring he is against government should never hold office. He is incapable of governing, which is the job.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:24 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,959 times
Buffett is obviously joking guys.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:32 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
The luckiest generation was the Silent, of which Buffett is a member. Coming of age in the fifties was a blessing. Jobs for everyone, the U.S.A. was the undisputed world leader (well, some in the USSR didn't think so). The median wage would rise for the next 20 years. The silent generation was born in the Great Depression. The millennials graduated college during the worst conditions since then. Let's hope he is right.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:52 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
No, we are not supposed to be directly competing. But it doesn't mean the US should become an isolationist nation, just because our way of life is expensive.
So the US should become a third world country? Do you think average rent is going to drop to $80/month anytime soon? Because that's all that could be afforded if Americans quit being spoiled brats and started accepting a wage of $1/hour like in the poorest countries.

Everything except for healthcare is already cheaper in the US than any other developed country.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:39 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
So the US should become a third world country? Do you think average rent is going to drop to $80/month anytime soon? Because that's all that could be afforded if Americans quit being spoiled brats and started accepting a wage of $1/hour like in the poorest countries.

Everything except for healthcare is already cheaper in the US than any other developed country.
If you think the US is going to become a third world nation, than you have no concept of what 3rd world nations are all about.

No one in America is going to work for $1, or $3/hr. Even for minimum wage, it is difficult to find people willing to work. This is why Americans will never have to worry about working for such ridiculous wages. This is a first world nation, and a prosperous one at that.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:11 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I think young people nowadays are confronted with much more competition than in the past.

Sure there's much more productivity and efficiency, thanks to technology. But not only does this mean that today people are competing with technology (why hire 2 people, when you can hire 1 and run technology?), but also the world, now that technology has enabled a global economy. Companies have their pick of sources of labor around the world, but Americans are largely limited to finding a job within the US.
There's going to be a lot of competition for your father's job, yes. As there's a lot of fathers fighting for that job as the group shrinks.

There's not enough talent to go around for the generation that can develop these production enhancing robotics, systems, networks.... Any person that trains in that area is going to do great. It's shooting fish in a barrel.

You see what's happening with your very own eyes, yet need to comprehend how to enter the labor force....

The Oracle is correct. This is an exciting time to be graduating. Lose the victim mentality, you are young yet. That's for the 60 year olds that truly can't retrain for something different. The world can pick their workforce, but if you and some classmates are the most up to date on something, the world can also send their work to you.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
There's going to be a lot of competition for your father's job, yes. As there's a lot of fathers fighting for that job as the group shrinks.

There's not enough talent to go around for the generation that can develop these production enhancing robotics, systems, networks.... Any person that trains in that area is going to do great. It's shooting fish in a barrel.

You see what's happening with your very own eyes, yet need to comprehend how to enter the labor force....

The Oracle is correct. This is an exciting time to be graduating. Lose the victim mentality, you are young yet. That's for the 60 year olds that truly can't retrain for something different. The world can pick their workforce, but if you and some classmates are the most up to date on something, the world can also send their work to you.
It's great for those with a supremely high intellectual and technical aptitude. But what about everyone else?

Old 02-28-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
If you think the US is going to become a third world nation, than you have no concept of what 3rd world nations are all about.

No one in America is going to work for $1, or $3/hr. Even for minimum wage, it is difficult to find people willing to work. This is why Americans will never have to worry about working for such ridiculous wages. This is a first world nation, and a prosperous one at that.
Why pay minimum wage here when it can be off shored for cents per hour?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics