Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 02:43 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

If he was 67, why did he owe so much on his original mortgage? What had he been doing the previous 30 years?! Most people at that age own their home free and clear. This sounds like someone with chronic money management problems, possibly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 02:48 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If he was 67, why did he owe so much on his original mortgage? What had he been doing the previous 30 years?! Most people at that age own their home free and clear. This sounds like someone with chronic money management problems, possibly.
That's what I thought. Or as Mr. Money Mustache has said:

"In almost every tale of financial woe, the real villain is the victim’s Past Self."

Are You Giving the Shaft to your Future Self?

Old 07-26-2016, 02:49 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I know two people who took a reverse mortgage. While it sounded great in the beginning fast forward 15 years and both absolutely hate it now. Borrowing against the equity is never a good idea and you're not going to change my mind in that. But if you feel it's a good idea for you go ahead and do it.
There are a lot of things you must meet while in a rm and if you can't the house gets taken.
The best idea is to have plenty of money so that you don't need to worry about stretching your resources as far as you can. Unfortunately, most people are not in that position.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:10 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
I know two people who took a reverse mortgage. While it sounded great in the beginning fast forward 15 years and both absolutely hate it now. Borrowing against the equity is never a good idea and you're not going to change my mind in that. But if you feel it's a good idea for you go ahead and do it.
There are a lot of things you must meet while in a rm and if you can't the house gets taken.

Speaking in absolutes once again is foolish. Tapping equity can work very well in many scenario just as reverse mortgages can

Tell me all the things you must meet while in a Rm so it doesn't get taken away from you, please go ahead

Old 07-26-2016, 06:33 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Speaking in absolutes once again is foolish. Tapping equity can work very well in many scenario just as reverse mortgages can

Tell me all the things you must meet while in a Rm so it doesn't get taken away from you, please go ahead

Property taxes
Homeowners insurance
HOA
Any other obligations that you had to the property before the RM you still have as a homeowner. It does nothing to relieve payables.
Yeah you get some money. Which you can get in other ways that are less risky. But you go ahead and get your reverse mortgage

House is usually sold to pay off the RM
You could run into issues with SSI or Medicare. Funds retained could count as assets.
Interest rate compounds over the life of the loan.
Service fees.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Property taxes
Homeowners insurance
HOA
Any other obligations that you had to the property before the RM you still have as a homeowner. It does nothing to relieve payables.
Yeah you get some money. Which you can get in other ways that are less risky. But you go ahead and get your reverse mortgage

House is usually sold to pay off the RM
You could run into issues with SSI or Medicare. Funds retained could count as assets.
Interest rate compounds over the life of the loan.
Service fees.
Home owners is required for any mortgage. Property taxes and hoa dues would be required any mortgage or not.

Your list of things you have to do because of a rm or lose your house is pretty much non existent

Old 07-27-2016, 07:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
If you have no heirs, why not? You can't take the house with you.
Even if you have heirs. What makes people think they HAVE to leave something to their spawn? It's not like the kids worked for it other than remaining alive...

Old 07-27-2016, 08:28 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Home owners is required for any mortgage. Property taxes and hoa dues would be required any mortgage or not.

Your list of things you have to do because of a rm or lose your house is pretty much non existent
Did you read about compounded rates and fees which can build well over the worth of the house? Or just chose to ignore it? What happens when you want to move closer to family. How about when the bank inspects and tells you that this that and the other needs to be repaired or they call in the loan? How about when some life changing event happens and you can't pay the taxes, and you can't sell because your house isn't worth as much and you blew through the money.
I have NEVER used my equity in my house or rentals for anything. And there is a metric ton of it. I rather sell cash out and move somewhere with a lower COL or if needed a retirement home.
These RM companies prey on peoples emotions and telling them you can stay in your house. Mom or dad can live out life with no worries while still getting money. Sounds great. It's a house. The memories are in your head. You're better off selling and moving to a lower COL area. Buy a annuity with the rest and prepare for retirement in other ways.
Why don't you tell me why RM is so wonderful and how great it is to get one?

Old 07-27-2016, 08:54 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Let's also not forget that if a borrower with a reverse mortgage moves out of the property (into a nursing home for instance for more than 12 months), the loan must be paid off. Hopefully the property is worth more at that point than the loan balance. I've seen this stinker come home to roost for an elderly person who thought she could continue drawing the monthly checks from the reverse mortgage after moving into the nursing home. Not so.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Did you read about compounded rates and fees which can build well over the worth of the house? Or just chose to ignore it? What happens when you want to move closer to family. How about when the bank inspects and tells you that this that and the other needs to be repaired or they call in the loan? How about when some life changing event happens and you can't pay the taxes, and you can't sell because your house isn't worth as much and you blew through the money.
I have NEVER used my equity in my house or rentals for anything. And there is a metric ton of it. I rather sell cash out and move somewhere with a lower COL or if needed a retirement home.
These RM companies prey on peoples emotions and telling them you can stay in your house. Mom or dad can live out life with no worries while still getting money. Sounds great. It's a house. The memories are in your head. You're better off selling and moving to a lower COL area. Buy a annuity with the rest and prepare for retirement in other ways.
Why don't you tell me why RM is so wonderful and how great it is to get one?

I didn't ignore anything but rather I was addressing some claims you made, the vast majority either apply if you have a mortgage or not or applicable to all who have a mortgage. Any mortgage company most likely call call the loan in various scenarios so it's not simply applicable to RM, if you also intend to move its not a great idea.

Rm can provide a cash flow source for those who never wish to leave their house. It's not for all but you are using your opinion as fact when it's not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance