Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:28 AM

897 posts, read 2,825,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by windtimber View Post
What do you hear about Wells-Fargo?

I understand they now hold about $82 Billion in 2nd mortgages which are now essentially unsecured due to declining real estate values. A 1st mortgagee at least can recoup some portion of a bad loan. If there's nothing left for the 2nd mortgagee, well, W-F may be in some significant pain.

I think this 2nd mortgage issue is a huge part of the overall problem. The media is so focused on the ARM and homeowenership they have failed to mention other "debts" like 2nds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 12:41 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,972,786 times
Me thinks that people have WAY too much trust in the government to "prevent" a bank failure. This might be true if there was a surplus in the budget, but under a massive trade deficit and insurmountable debt, the government is powerless to prevent a bank failure.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:51 PM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Me thinks that people have WAY too much trust in the government to "prevent" a bank failure. This might be true if there was a surplus in the budget, but under a massive trade deficit and insurmountable debt, the government is powerless to prevent a bank failure.
I respectfully disagree, the government can always print more money.

The problem, in real economy terms, is that as a result of our suicidal monetary and credit policies, there is massive misallocation of resources in the US, also reflected in the mismatch between production and consumption (and also the trade deficit and household and government debt).

If this continues, the government would be powerless to stop a serious disconnect between production and consumption, reflected in massive inflation.

Well, unless of course it tries to amass the bulk of its resources in the military and attempts to seize the assets of a country where there is a better match between consumption and production.

Hey, didn't the US attempt that with Iraq vis-a-vis the country's oil production/consumption mix? How did that work out?

In any case, the FDIC list provided above by a generous poster shows that there may be a significant difference between relatively small, regional banks and large banks with significant market share. I believe that Moody's runs analyses on this very issue, and the conclusions are that, while indeed no bank is immune from the possibility of bankruptcy, in the case of a country's biggest banks, government intervention is a virtual certainty. At that point, the country's sovereign rating comes into play.

In the aftermath of the S&L debacle in the US in the late 1980s/early 1990s, many relatively small banks failed. Where there any major banks that failed?

Old 02-28-2008, 10:39 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
FDIC to Add Staff as Bank Failures Loom - WSJ.com

FDIC spokesman Andrew Gray said the agency was looking to bulk up "for preparedness purposes." The division now has 223 employees, mostly based in Dallas.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,070,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I respectfully disagree, the government can always print more money.

The problem, in real economy terms, is that as a result of our suicidal monetary and credit policies, there is massive misallocation of resources in the US, also reflected in the mismatch between production and consumption (and also the trade deficit and household and government debt).

If this continues, the government would be powerless to stop a serious disconnect between production and consumption, reflected in massive inflation.

Well, unless of course it tries to amass the bulk of its resources in the military and attempts to seize the assets of a country where there is a better match between consumption and production.

Hey, didn't the US attempt that with Iraq vis-a-vis the country's oil production/consumption mix? How did that work out?

In any case, the FDIC list provided above by a generous poster shows that there may be a significant difference between relatively small, regional banks and large banks with significant market share. I believe that Moody's runs analyses on this very issue, and the conclusions are that, while indeed no bank is immune from the possibility of bankruptcy, in the case of a country's biggest banks, government intervention is a virtual certainty. At that point, the country's sovereign rating comes into play.

In the aftermath of the S&L debacle in the US in the late 1980s/early 1990s, many relatively small banks failed. Where there any major banks that failed?
I so wish we'd stop doing this. And I also wish this gov't would pull out of the financial sh*t hole it's been in for decades. And I also wish they'd get enough money to buy back most of the worlds gold.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:25 PM

270 posts, read 570,904 times
I see what you guys are saying with "to big to fail" government wont let it happen,but this time it might be different,what happens if not one bank but a couple HUGE banks (wamu,citi,b.oa.)all start going under at the same time??can they be bailed out simultaneously??

Old 02-29-2008, 06:29 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,983 times
The Fed said that he would not be surprised if a couple banks fail.....I love how America say capitalism works but every few years these great capitalist companies need big bail outs.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:06 PM

630 posts, read 1,874,738 times
Doral Financial stock ticker DRL has done a reverse split several months back,based in Puerto Rico (a US commonwealth),lotta legal and financial woes,probably on the way out.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:58 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
In our newspaper yesterday they published this list of the top 5 banks with the most DFW area foreclosures in 2007:

# of foreclosures/bank
3,075 Wells Fargo
1,795 Deutsche Bank
1,118 US Bank
980 Countrywide
966 Bank of New York

Old 03-12-2008, 12:30 AM

38,895 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
I think we all wish Wamu would fall because they are soo horrible
I know I wish they would for that very reason. I was a customer of theirs for over 20 years until late last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics