Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2016, 10:03 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,724,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
No, you are NOT. Poverty is the folks living in the Mumbai slums you foolishly compared yourself to. And ironically, many of those Mumbai slum residents are actually HAPPIER than you are!

Material possessions do not make a person happy. Happiness comes from inside, not outside. And it is a choice.
Yeah but they can own a home in the indian countryside for 1000 dollars one day. I'm not so lucky.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:13 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
Based on what I've read from Perma Bear, I would venture to guess that simply owning a house would not make him happy.

Like I said before, "Wherever You Go, There You Are."

Old 10-09-2016, 10:22 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Yeah but they can own a home in the indian countryside for 1000 dollars one day. I'm not so lucky.
But they have as little chance of obtaining that $1000 purchase price as you do obtaining the several million dollars needed to buy a single family home in the Bay Area. Less, in fact. They aren't happy because they see themselves as future homeowners. They do not. They know better than that.

And you COULD buy a home in the Indian countryside, if you really wished to. More practically, you could buy a home in the $50,000 to $150,000 price range in much of the US if you REALLY wanted a home more than anything - but you are not willing to do that.

Your problem is that you've decided your happiness is entirely contingent on obtaining something you may never be able to achieve: ownership of a house in the Bay Area. Wanting impossible things is not a path to happiness.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Based on what I've read from Perma Bear, I would venture to guess that simply owning a house would not make him happy.
No, he'd just be an unhappy home owner who'd find some other "unfairness" in life to whine about.

He sure chose the right username!

Quote:
Like I said before, "Wherever You Go, There You Are."
Funny, I was also just thinking that. And it is so true!

Old 10-09-2016, 10:33 PM

You can't afford a house where you want to be. You may never be able to afford one. So choose which is more important to you: living in the Bay Area, or being a homeowner. You can't have both. That's just how life works. No one gets everything they want. Everyone is forced to compromise in one way or another. You're no different than everyone else in that regard.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I mean technically I wait for inheritance but that seems like a cop out to me. It seems like just being a vulture and I may have to wait until my 50s at which point life is almost gone along with those I care about.
So get on with living your life now. Move somewhere more affordable if you MUST own a house before your parents pass. Or stay in the Bay Area as a happy non-home owner, and enjoy life in California. Either choice is better than whining!

Old 10-09-2016, 10:59 PM

57 posts, read 66,493 times
It's going to take 30+ years to fully recover from the Bush Administration. Will take even LONGER if another Republican is President.

Just look at the statistics. Every time a Republican is President, the economy tanks.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:07 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
I applied for jobs all over the country when I was job searching. Applying for such a huge number did result in a variety of options.

I had one option in Fremont, CA, which from what I gathered is an average to below average town in the Bay Area. Houses were starting at around $475-500k for serious fixer uppers. This was a few years ago, so I'm sure it's more now (looks like $600k from a quick zillow search). The job would have started somewhere in the 70s per year.

What surprised me, out of the dozen or so metro areas I researched, the Bay Area has no commutable affordable housing options. There were two options from what I could tell for cheaper housing - literally the middle of the ghetto of Oakland, for around ~300k to start, or a super-commute to Tracy, CA, similar ~300k starting price range, in both places for ~1000sf fixers. There wasn't much else within an hour's driving distance. South toward San Jose it got more expensive. Antioch, Brentwood up north had similar 300k range options but were beyond that hour radius and also struck me as ghetto.

I turned down that job and told them why. I was not the only one from their reaction.

Literally every other metro area I researched in a variety of regions around the country, had affordable options within an hour's commute distance. Even New York City area... if you're okay with a 1 hour radius there are places available for around $200k. I mean wtf, Bay Area?

The Bay Area's nice in certain ways I suppose, but is it THAT great? There do exist temperate climates in other parts of the country.

Last edited by redguard57; 10-09-2016 at 11:17 PM..

Old 10-09-2016, 11:12 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I applied for jobs all over the country when I was job searching. Applying for such a huge number did result in a variety of options.

I had one option in Fremont, CA, which from what I gathered is an average to below average town in the Bay Area. Houses were starting at around $475-500k for serious fixer uppers. This was a few years ago, so I'm sure it's more now (looks like $600k from a quick zillow search).

What surprised me, out of the dozen or so metro areas I researched, the Bay Area has no commutable affordable housing options. There were two options from what I could tell for cheaper housing - literally the middle of the ghetto of Oakland, for around ~300k to start, or a super-commute to Tracy, CA, similar ~300k starting price range, in both places for ~1000sf fixers. There wasn't much else within an hour's driving distance. South toward San Jose it got more expensive. Antioch, Brentwood up north had similar 300k range options but were beyond that hour radius and also struck me as ghetto.

I turned down that job and told them why. I was not the only one from their reaction.

Literally every other metro area I researched in a variety of regions around the country, had affordable options within an hour's commute distance. Even New York City area.

The Bay Area's nice in certain ways I suppose, but is it THAT great? There do exist temperate climates in other parts of the country.
It is if you're born there. Plus weather everywhere else (even la) sucks.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:21 PM

1,766 posts, read 1,223,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccabees_ View Post
It's going to take 30+ years to fully recover from the Bush Administration. Will take even LONGER if another Republican is President.

Just look at the statistics. Every time a Republican is President, the economy tanks.
Economy didn't recover, we just managed to double our national debt under Obama and with lunatics at the Fed. As Donald Trump said tonight......OUR ECONOMY IS DEAD!!!!!!!!! I have been telling you same thing here for months and months now, but most of you are living in DENIAL and can't accept the truth and reality.

We are lying to ourselves in order to not face the fact that we need higher rates, a stronger dollar - that will deconstruct the global economy, finally - and the destruction of the greatest debt bubble in the history of human community. Who has the courage to do this? Who has the courage to generate the Greatest Depression in the history of humanity? But it cannot be avoided. It is the only way out of our crisis. Just remember this what I'm telling you here. You will never see real economic growth again unless we go thru Deflation and Great Depression first. Until then, more lies, and low rates.

Last edited by C2BP; 10-09-2016 at 11:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics