Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2016, 11:18 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
There is no such thing as price gouging. Statutes may limit prices based on the whims of legislators, but that's sort of like legislators in Arkansas, in hopes of improving student performance, attempting to legislate that pi be rounded to 3.14.
You can make this ridiculous statement a thousand more times and it will still only be true in your own imagination. Of course there is such thing as price gouging.

Price Gouging - Definition, Examples, Cases

It is a widely accepted ethical concept that cannot be simply defined away because you and a handful of others find it decidedly inconvenient.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:28 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
If so, how do you imagine that a Certified Financial Analyst went so far off track?
I'd say it was how much they weighed workplace injuries. Fewer accidents was a significant criterion for "good place to work." I noticed states with forest industries were "bad" places to work as a result - Maine, Vermont, Montana, Oregon. Obviously in a forest industry there's going to be accidents.

It also placed a very high value on state income tax.

Like I said, the fact that Michigan and Illinois are among the "10 best states to make a living" is ridiculous.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:52 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,020,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I'd say it was how much they weighed workplace injuries. Fewer accidents was a significant criterion for "good place to work." I noticed states with forest industries were "bad" places to work as a result - Maine, Vermont, Montana, Oregon. Obviously in a forest industry there's going to be accidents.
High accident rates are in fact a bad thing when talking about ease of making a living. It shouldn't take passing a CFA exam to be able to realize that.

Quote:
It also placed a very high value on state income tax.
Actually, it cited "state tax rates" as estimated by the Tax Foundation. After all, some states rely heavily on state income taxes and some don't have one at all. It looks like the CFA knew not to go down that road.

Quote:
Like I said, the fact that Michigan and Illinois are among the "10 best states to make a living" is ridiculous.
What metrics did you use to establish this ridiculousness-factor? If I suggested that ir was simply some nonsensical personal bias factor, would I be far from the mark?

Old 10-14-2016, 02:10 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,805 times
Another telling point to show we are worse off is the average age of adults leaving the house. Most of the time it has nothing to do with entitlement or stunted growth, but the enormous cost of either going to college, rent, and lack of good jobs out of high school. Average age leaving the nest has grown higher, and factor in the 'boomerang' adults coming back it's definitely worse than 1955.

But hey, everyone has internet which is the cheapest and most time consuming entertainment. It can't be all that bad right?

Old 10-14-2016, 02:20 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
You can make this ridiculous statement a thousand more times and it will still only be true in your own imagination. Of course there is such thing as price gouging.

Price Gouging - Definition, Examples, Cases

It is a widely accepted ethical concept that cannot be simply defined away because you and a handful of others find it decidedly inconvenient.
From the definition you quote:

Quote:
The practice of raising prices on certain types of goods and services to an unfair level
OK, I'll bite. What in the world is an "unfair level?" There is no definition. Is it 5%? 10%? 25%? 100%? 200%? 300%? 500%? 1000%?

There is no such thing as "unfair level." That is not a definition.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Another telling point to show we are worse off is the average age of adults leaving the house.
Just a return to an earlier norm. Nuclear families after all are a relatively recent thing. Feeding the trend are increasing economic returns to education over work, as well as a declining impetus to marry and start a family at a young age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
But hey, everyone has internet which is the cheapest and most time consuming entertainment. It can't be all that bad right?
Ten-cent double-features were once popular events at the local movie house.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
There is no such thing as "unfair level." That is not a definition.
Why not just admit that you were wrong? I'm sure that this has happened before. Increasingly obtuse and imperious objections aren't going to cut very much mustard.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:05 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
Quote:
High accident rates are in fact a bad thing when talking about ease of making a living. It shouldn't take passing a CFA exam to be able to realize that.

Actually, it cited "state tax rates" as estimated by the Tax Foundation. After all, some states rely heavily on state income taxes and some don't have one at all. It looks like the CFA knew not to go down that road.

What metrics did you use to establish this ridiculousness-factor? If I suggested that ir was simply some nonsensical personal bias factor, would I be far from the mark?
Accident rates are going to be higher as a matter of course in industries that involve more dangerous work. Oregon has a lot of wood product industry and commercial fishing. From what I read, we also have more truck driver accidents than other states because of the mountainous nature of our geography combined with weather. Our two interstate corridors have high mountain passes and/or frequent icy conditions. That seems to be what's driving the work related accidents. That is probably the case for Maine, Vermont and Montana as well.

It seemed to rate income tax higher... Placing us 2nd to Hawaii is ridiculous because we have no sales tax and property tax rates in the middle, which puts us in the middle of states. https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-burden/20494/ That site puts Hawaii below New York in total tax burden.

This site shows a different story...https://cew.georgetown.edu/cew-repor...ge-job-market/

Although it is only looking at college-level jobs, it shows a very different calculus of what states offer different opportunities.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:10 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Just a return to an earlier norm. Nuclear families after all are a relatively recent thing.
Yup. "The Waltons" was the norm. Young families worked the family business, often lived on the farm or above the store, expecting to inherit when the parents died. That didn't largely change until the Depression put the parents out of business or out of their farms, then the war and the industrial boom afterward brought people into the cities (with a hefty government boost from things like VA loans and the GI Bill).

Old 10-14-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Accident rates are going to be higher as a matter of course in industries that involve more dangerous work.
And those will be worse places to make a living as the result. Even if I do not myself work in one of these dangerous positions, the sheer numbers of them suggest that friends and family will. That carries risk, and risk is typically not a good thing.

Quote:
It seemed to rate income tax higher...
Only if the Tax Foundation did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics