Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 08:54 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,412,379 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My wife is starting to study for her CPA exams so we're looking for some feedback from you CPA professionals who are already in the field. What materials have you used to pass all 4 exams? Allot of times it's a combination of different material. Please provide you expert advice.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 09:55 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Moved from the education forum. Not sure this is the right place or not

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:06 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
My wife is starting to study for her CPA exams
Same as in the other thread:

#1? I'd suggest using the materials that the Test Prep Course works with.
https://www.cpaexamguide.com/best-cpa-review-courses

#2? I'd suggest group study sessions with the other recent grads at the CPA firm where they all work.
The better firms will assign one of the junior partners to lead these.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:17 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
Go to “another71” and purchase ninja. It’s by far the cheapest one (or at least was). I used the bigger write ups, then the condensed “ninja notes” and the multiple choice questions. Their analytics start recognizing the parts you know and don’t know, and it will start feeding you more questions from areas you’re weaker in. You could also look at the data and force feed yourself questions manually from your trouble spots. Their modules were way closer to what the actual exam questions look like in my opinion. Before the exams, I would roll through these questions thousands of times. I forget the ratio, but basically if you could score in the 70s in ninja, I think I generally got 10 higher on the real exam. It was a pretty good proxy to know if you were ready. If you were scoring in the 50s or 60s still, you had to hit a couple thousand more questions.

I also used Becker. This is significantly more expensive. In my opinion, their materials are much much more detailed to the point I feel I wasted tons of time learning things that weren’t on the exams in my tests. However, here and there it had nuggets that showed up and made it worth it. Becker was also worth it for their large amount of “simulations” for the simulation portion of the test (aka the non multiple choice) Their cast of characters (Tim, Peter) as instructors are excellent. Cheesy and entertaining...but you’ll remember it on test day. “My Legs”...lol

Others swear by Wiley plus, Gleim, and Rogers?And one other I can’t remember, but I didn’t use these solutions.

No matter what main solution you go with, supplement it with ninja. I can’t recommend it enough.

Then say goodbye to your wife for the next year to 1.5 years.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 10-31-2019 at 03:31 AM..

Old 10-31-2019, 09:01 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,412,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Go to “another71” and purchase ninja. It’s by far the cheapest one (or at least was). I used the bigger write ups, then the condensed “ninja notes” and the multiple choice questions. Their analytics start recognizing the parts you know and don’t know, and it will start feeding you more questions from areas you’re weaker in. You could also look at the data and force feed yourself questions manually from your trouble spots. Their modules were way closer to what the actual exam questions look like in my opinion. Before the exams, I would roll through these questions thousands of times. I forget the ratio, but basically if you could score in the 70s in ninja, I think I generally got 10 higher on the real exam. It was a pretty good proxy to know if you were ready. If you were scoring in the 50s or 60s still, you had to hit a couple thousand more questions.

I also used Becker. This is significantly more expensive. In my opinion, their materials are much much more detailed to the point I feel I wasted tons of time learning things that weren’t on the exams in my tests. However, here and there it had nuggets that showed up and made it worth it. Becker was also worth it for their large amount of “simulations” for the simulation portion of the test (aka the non multiple choice) Their cast of characters (Tim, Peter) as instructors are excellent. Cheesy and entertaining...but you’ll remember it on test day. “My Legs”...lol

Others swear by Wiley plus, Gleim, and Rogers?And one other I can’t remember, but I didn’t use these solutions.

No matter what main solution you go with, supplement it with ninja. I can’t recommend it enough.

Then say goodbye to your wife for the next year to 1.5 years.
Thanks for taking the time for a proper feedback. Our approach is to go with Becker 2019 book and Ninja monthly subscription.

Old 10-31-2019, 11:17 AM

439 posts, read 423,452 times
Yes, Ninja. $67 a month. I have the Gleim books too but I use Ninja because it is so accessible. I have Notes in my car and at work, blitz vids on my phone, I do 2 hours of MCQs each morning before work, SIMS on weekends either at home or on laptop. I can log into the Ninja dojo from anywhere.

I take FAR on the 18th and I am following the Ninja way so I'll be rewriting notes allllll next weekend.

No one does study groups- the info is better when it is personalized to your learning style and abilities like Ninja and some others.

Join Another 71 for discussion and learning from lots of others-

https://www.another71.com/cpa-exam-forum/

Old 10-31-2019, 11:20 AM

Oh ! And you need FARHAT!!

He is the most darling man and the smartest and best at explaining concepts. I watch Farhat videos on Youtube all the time

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOY...cUPDgihxwSSReA

Old 10-31-2019, 12:40 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
I never followed the “ninja” method of literally hand writing the notes over and over again because I thought that just was a waste of time for me.

You may also need this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tUGQs2KzOk&app=desktop

Old 10-31-2019, 01:07 PM

Well I think we can all safely assume that the mods her have no idea what CPAs do LOL!! Now it is in Econ??? Pfffft!

Old 10-31-2019, 01:20 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times
I used the Becker books and software but did not attend the live courses or watch any of the videos. I passed all exams in either the 80's or 90's. I studied one month for each section.

I had a number of friends who did the live session and honestly it seemed like a lot of wasted time vs. just reading the test and taking the practice questions. It's been a while since I've done it but as I recall there were something like 500 practice questions for each section in the software but they also had like another 500 "extra questions" for each section. I just did all 1,000 questions for each section and by the time I got to the end I was ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics