Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2017, 04:08 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,018,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
College isn't a life experience where people learn to become adults
Yes, it is. Among other things of course.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:15 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
You're misunderstanding. I'm talking about the homeowners. You mention their mortgage payments and taxes, but what about all of the other never ending costs of owning a home? Home owners aren't floating on some mythical magic carpet of having lower costs than a renter.

??? ??? There IS trash pickup, okay. All utilities are paid by tenants. I have never seen or talked with the owner in 2 years here. Other than normal lawn mowing I am unaware of any "work" done on or to the house or its systems and components. e.g. if the heat is nonexistent because the furnace doesn't work or because the gas was shut off; it has not been corrected.)

i'm not sure what expenses there are here beyond mortgage, property taxes, and trash. Based on most recent purchase price (~$120K) and the rents here ($500/mo * 10 ppl) one would expect a ton of cash flow is accruing to SOMEBODY.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:22 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Where the hell do you live? If you're paying the same rent as you could on your own as you do with ten fellow renters, it sounds like you're just being taken advantage of for not being ver smart.

In a tight rental market, landlords and middlemen can and do take advantage of rent serfs, because in a tight rental market, it's not as if renters can just hop down the street to a different rental.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:38 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
In a tight rental market, landlords and middlemen can and do take advantage of rent serfs, because in a tight rental market, it's not as if renters can just hop down the street to a different rental.
So, the renters are paying what the market will bear?

Old 06-11-2017, 07:55 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
my brother rents/leases over 22 houses and 4 businesses
very well off but you would never know it..'most mainers that have money you'd never know it

we despise arrogance and i dont know anyone who is flashy or show off their wealth

Old 06-11-2017, 08:36 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
Few start out negative... their choose of how they pay for college puts them in the hole...

You cant pick to start the life counter after they are in debt. Why not do it right out of high school because they are not required to attend college right away
70% of college grads start out with loans of more than $29K.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...0e1_story.html

Young people don't make it to the median wage ($50,000) until they are in their thirties.

Millennial College Graduates: Young, Educated, Jobless

This does not count all those who get college loans and do not finish. Leaving them with high debt and lower chances of making the median until much later.

How can you say FEW start out in a negative economic situation? How they chose to pay for college says nothing about the fact that they have bills. And then to compare them to the person who said he had his entire tuition paid for by his parents (along with !00K for a home purchase) does not give him an advantage. I'd like to know who people square these positions.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:40 PM

850 posts, read 902,357 times
Quote:
I don't judge them for it, but I also don't feel bad for them either when they complain later on about debt if they have it

if they dont complain, then no one knows about their finances except them

there are other ways to get college paid for besides scholarships/military... companies pay for classes, it may take 6-7 years with night classes, but if it was to compare 4 years + 3 years of paying off loans, at least the person who did night classes will have no loans at year 7 with 7 years of experience at graduation. Instead of 3 years of experience and paid off debt at year 7.

I think everyone should go to college, I disagree that they should go right out of high school if they don't actually have a plan. College isn't a life experience where people learn to become adults

even the grocery stores around here pay for some college classes. They pay for spanish (customers speak it so they can use it while working), and they pay for economic/business classes so if they get promoted to shift/store manager, they have some familiarity with terms. Walgreens/CVS pay for pharmacy techs/pharmacy school. Walmart/hotel chains here partners with the local business schools where the business grads work as assistant managers, then are offered a job upon graduation.

Hell even all those "college educated" Starbucks employees, if they had bothered working for starbucks before becoming a "college grad", Starbucks pays college tuition for their employees through Arizona State
https://www.starbucks.com/careers/college-plan
So if they went that route, they could be debt free baristas, instead of $30k in the debt baristas. Yes, I know this is fairly new program, but it's one of many examples where employers pay for college, just remember this example off the top of my head
Those are some good ideas. People have to get creative with ways to pay for college. If going to work immediately after high school to pay for college keeps you out of debt it's the best route. Graduating at 25 with no debt because you worked at Starbucks between 18-21 to cash flow college is better than graduating at 22 with $30k worth of student loan debt.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:59 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I really don't understand a lot of these posts.

Around here, low end businesses are looking for workers. Panda Express is paying $10/hr for cashiers, $11/hr for cooks and veggie choppers. Even here in TN, with no income tax and a low cost of living, you're not going to have much of a lifestyle at $11/hr. With two people, you can scrimp by.

The thing is that, while the $10-$15/hr segment has quite a bit of slack, anything $20+/hr is super competitive. While that's good money for here, it's not lighting the woods on fire. $40k here in east TN is comfortable for a single person with simple tastes and minimal debt, but that's a hard mark to hit.

I know most of you all are from more prosperous areas, but still.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:02 PM

850 posts, read 902,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post

Young people don't make it to the median wage ($50,000) until they are in their thirties.

This does not count all those who get college loans and do not finish. Leaving them with high debt and lower chances of making the median until much later.

How can you say FEW start out in a negative economic situation? How they chose to pay for college says nothing about the fact that they have bills. And then to compare them to the person who said he had his entire tuition paid for by his parents (along with !00K for a home purchase) does not give him an advantage. I'd like to know who people square these positions.
Having parents that pay for your tuition and give you a 20% down payment on a house gives someone in their early 20s a huge advantage.

The 22 year college graduate that gets their career job paying $50k+ or 80k+ if they live in a high cost of living area like NYC, graduates with no debt, and receives a down payment gift from parents to purchase their first home is at least a decade ahead of someone financially burden with student loan debt and receiving no help from parents to purchase their first home.

The 22 year old college graduate with $30k in student loan debt has to be fortunate enough to get their career job immediately after graduation paying $50-60k a year. They would have to eat rice/beans and $1.00 packs of starkist tuna, drive a $2k paid for clunker, don't go out on the weekends at the bars, don't go on dates, don't go on vacations for two whole years to pay off their student loan debt. Then they would have to live like that for another two years to save up for the 20% down payment on their first house.

So it would take 4 long years of beans and rice, driving a POS car, not going on dates, not doing fun stuff on the weekend, and not going on vacations to get to the same spot financially as someone who received paid for college and a down payment on their first house from their parents and that's if the 22 year old with student loan debt finds a good paying job immediately after graduation.

The 22 year old in debt would have to make a lot of sacrifices to get in the same position as the 22 year old who has someone pay for their college and give them money for a down payment on a house.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:03 PM

940 posts, read 969,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post

My wife and I had a lot of loans and very low income for many years. We struggled but made saving a priority. We graduated in 2003 when the job market was very depressed. Compared to today, the current job market is on fire.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/perso...y-we-32-a.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics