Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2017, 07:25 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Most families have two adults with income...

The minimum wage here is currently $12 so two working full time would earn 48K which would mean your options today in 2017 would be limited to a mobile home park... just helped a young family in the SF Bay Area move in over the weekend... they bought a mobile home as their home as they were weary since every home they rented ended up being sold... rents were not sufficient to make these rentals viable.

Will need to look for the story about a single person working minimum wage buying a single family home... I do recall it was in Detroit and cost $9,000 when all was said and done...

The same home in the same condition where I live... Oakland California would have multiple bids at 400k...

As Submariner said packing up and moving doesn't require permission.
Detroit is basically Oakland except it gets colder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
You don't know what the word "literal" means do you?

No, you're saying working out doors you prefer mild weather. There are millions of Americans who work outdoors in temperatures ranging from from Phoenix to Duluth, they don't all drop dead every year and need to be replaced.
Many do die from that.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
The unemployment rate is 4.4%, and you aren't some high paying niche skill set.

What you've got is a huge case of fear. You are afraid of getting out of your comfort zone so you'll sit here making excuse after excuse for why you can't move from an area that isn't affordable.
What I've got is a job that limits me to mild climates without risking my life. I was forced into working because I was nearly kicked out at one point so I'm stuck doing this.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:38 AM

417 posts, read 445,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I just posted the name of our town.

The town with the lowest 'per capita' income in our state is close by, that is Webster Plantation, Maine with a per capita income of $8,385. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webster_Plantation,_Maine

Many towns in Maine have per capita incomes well below the Minimum-Wage. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._capita_income

My gripe about the Wiki list is that it only accounts for 540 Maine towns. While Maine has a total of 986 townships.

Looks like you are right. However, most people would not want to deal with Maine's winters, and hardly anyone would want to live in a "town" with a population of 82. But it's good to now that such a place does exist.

I suppose there are desert or forest areas where someone could, hunt, fish, live in a tent, and survive on minimum wage.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:24 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone77 View Post
Looks like you are right. However, most people would not want to deal with Maine's winters, and hardly anyone would want to live in a "town" with a population of 82. But it's good to now that such a place does exist.

I suppose there are desert or forest areas where someone could, hunt, fish, live in a tent, and survive on minimum wage.
We own 150 acres of forest land with 1/4 mile of river frontage, and a 3bdrm 2400 sq ft house. We have access to grid power, though we shifted to using solar power 2 years ago. We can go back and forth between on-grid / off-grid with a flip of a breaker switch. We are in the process of installing a Solar Thermal heating system to heat our home and jacuzzi.

I raise pigs and my wife butchers, I am a beekeeper, we have 10 acres that produce fiddleheads and enough mature maples to support about 500 taps. We are vendors in a Farmer's Market offering pork sausage, honey, veggies, herbs, and maple.

Property taxes are extremely low here along with the low crime rate. The culture among the locals is one that places high value on self-sufficiency.

As a Californian, I have come to love rural Maine.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:45 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,448,709 times
I haven't been to developing countries except for the Dominican Republic and Peru (and Panama if you count the airport).

I will talk about Peru since I spent much more time there. In Peru, at least in the major cities, even the poor have cell phones there. I remember in Iquitos a guy was from Chiclayo and saying he was a poor person. Maybe he is what they would consider "poor" in Peru. Yet he stayed in a resort in Iquitos and had a cell phone where he could play music. This is definitely not the image we think of when we talk about "the poor in the developed world."

My family lives in Surquillo, which is considered a poor neighborhood in Lima. Yet they have enough food, they have cell phones, my cousin in law has a car, and keep in mind that my cousin (which is his girl), had a kid when she was young so she might not have completed high school. She ran a business where she did kids parties though. They live in a small apartment but it is nice and cozy one.

They opened up a really nice shopping mall in Jesus Maria or in that area I believe. This is evidence that the middle class in Peru is growing and has more spending power. I believe they are also building an upscale mall in the Gamarra District.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:46 AM

1,967 posts, read 1,308,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
It would be upper middle class there, you are right in that. That just goes to show that money is not equal in all parts of the world. $1,000 a month in Thailand will leave you infinitely better off than $1,000 in New York or San Francisco
Warszawa, the national standard of median income families' life quality should be the best clue for comparison between nations. Anyone have a data links? I suppose the difficulty is differing evaluators and comparing apples, oranges and fish.

It's strange so many people fail to fully consider when threats to the finances or living conditions of our poor are successfully enacted, they're very likely to be more or less soon similarly enacted to the detriment of our median income earners.
Similarly, acts detrimental to our median income earners, will thereafter likely evolve as acts also detrimental to our poor. The “bell tolls for thee”.

Last edited by Supposn; 09-12-2017 at 06:13 AM..

Old 09-12-2017, 06:25 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Many do die from that.
People have died from earthquakes, yet there you are in the bay area wide-eyed with fear over the idea of experiencing a climate related death if you move somewhere with seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
What I've got is a job that limits me to mild climates without risking my life. I was forced into working because I was nearly kicked out at one point so I'm stuck doing this.
Nonsense. You have an irrational view on risk of weather to your life, and you are using that to make irrational personal finance decisions. That's all well and good but don't sit here whining about how unfortunate you are when you're doing it to yourself.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:06 PM

163 posts, read 138,226 times
Quote:
I see apples in USA for $0.99 cents per pound. That usually gets you three apples, so call it $0.35 for an apple.

Lay's potato chips in a 15.5 oz bag (almost a pound) at WalMart cost $3.45.
I never understood the argument that eating healthier costs more. When I'm watching my weight, my food bill falls dramatically.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:44 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srschirm View Post
I never understood the argument that eating healthier costs more. When I'm watching my weight, my food bill falls dramatically.
when people watch their weight, they also eat less

eating healthy isn't more expensive, it just takes more work to prepare/cook

work is what people don't want to do, so it is "costly" to them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics