Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2017, 11:34 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
The only sense in which I think today's U.S. society is child-hostile is that you don't see any children playing, anywhere. They are all programmed within an inch of their lives. Then we wonder why they can't function as adults...
It is like kids don't exist outside anymore unless organized Saturday soccer...

One of my neighbors asked me who that man was coming and going down the street... told her it was the son that got a car and he has lived his entire life there... home from school into the garage and never to be seen outside... ever... he loves video and computers plus the fear that something might happen... we all walked to school... no one walks anymore.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 09-18-2017 at 07:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 01:25 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
But it's in Oakland, which is a warmer Detroit and a colder Fresno.
Have you been to Oakland in the last 10 years? It has improved dramatically.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:29 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
It depends on the country. Haiti? There is no middle class there. There is a fraction of a percent that has money, the rest of the 98% are poor. However, a country like Portugal, Mexico, Estonia, Brazil? I'd MUCH rather be middle class there than poor here. Being middle class is less about the particular items that you possess, and more about the economic options and layers of protection you have.

Too many people, especially on C-D, think that possession of things like smartphones or 60 inch LED TV's mean someone is doing alright. You can have those things in America and be in a very bad situation. I don't know how many times I have to tell older people on C-D that TV's and phones are freaking CHEAP nowadays, and possession of them means NOTHING. I have basically every gadget imaginable - tablet, smartphone, e-reader, laptop, desktop gaming computer, gps, LED TV, home theater, and will probably soon buy a smartwatch. I tend to buy the previous year's best model of all those things off of ebay... they are about half the retail price that way. Total cost to me for all of it... maybe $3000? Plus of course the phone and internet service subscriptions.

I've lived in some developing countries, most notably Mexico. You may not even have the room in a typical middle class flat for a 60 inch TV in some countries, but they are much more economically secure.

My definition of middle class is having a security or insurance against negative externalities such as job loss, death in the family or health crisis. A poor or marginal person will be ruined by one of these events, probably cannot cope. A middle class person can weather one or more.

It also has to do with what kind of opportunities can be provided for the kids. A poor person will not be able to set up the kids at all. A middle class person will be able to set up the kids quite nicely. The family I lived with in Mexico did not have as many gadgets as I do. They did, however, own a business & were able to send their kids to college to get decent jobs. The son was going to school to be in the media business. He was going to be just as middle class as his parents, if not a little bit better. That's the difference.

The poor in America are worse off in every conceivable metric - health, life expectancy, job stability, divorce rate, etc... than the "middle" or what I'll call "Professional" class in developing countries. Oh, but they have a stupid LED TV.
Excellent post. I hope everyone following this thread reads every word of it. I am an economist with an interest (although not a specialization) in international economic development and you captured the essence of poverty in a rich country: the inability to defend oneself against ordinary setbacks and to pass on one's advantages, whatever they are, to one's children.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:28 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Have you been to Oakland in the last 10 years? It has improved dramatically.
Have you driven down international or MacArthur?

Old 09-20-2017, 08:09 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Have you driven down international or MacArthur?
I drive both daily...

Have you seen the Brand new Kaiser Hospital at one end of Mac Arthur or the 40 million Foothill Square renovation at the other end?

Old 09-20-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I drive both daily...

Have you seen the Brand new Kaiser Hospital at one end of Mac Arthur or the 40 million Foothill Square renovation at the other end?
What about the Somalia-Esque slums from 102-50th Ave on mcarthur or the hookers on international?

Old 09-20-2017, 09:57 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I have over 3 decades of managing Section 8 rentals and being poor in America or at least the SF Bay Area means access to many avenues of assistance...

Example... a family of 3 living in a single family home with a market rent of $2800 and paying $53 a month in rent... again, driving a brand new 2017 Toyota and having custody of your 2 special needs grand-kids with provided school transportation, medical, meals, discounted or free utilities/phone/internet...

And yes... they have 3 flat screen TV and two laptops...

Just one example...

And no... there is no under the table dealing or sugar daddy in the picture bringing gifts or paying for things...

It really is amazing when you think about it... only in American can a family live in a $600k home and pay $53 month rent...
Yes...even though this is a pretty "dramatic" example when compared to the rest of the US (it is an expensive COL area in CA), I do think that in many cases, the upper-poor does better than the lower-middle to middle class.

I think a lot of people find themselves in a tricky situation on the lower end of the middle. They make too much to get help, and in fact, make "enough" that they are supposed to help subsidize others. Yet, some of the people they are subsidizing are living in nice homes with the help of Section 8 and get food stamps and Medicaid, while they are working 50-60 hours a week to try to avoid having their mobile home or modest home foreclosed on and to keep food in the house and insurance on their kids.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Yes...even though this is a pretty "dramatic" example when compared to the rest of the US (it is an expensive COL area in CA), I do think that in many cases, the upper-poor does better than the lower-middle to middle class.

I think a lot of people find themselves in a tricky situation on the lower end of the middle. They make too much to get help, and in fact, make "enough" that they are supposed to help subsidize others. Yet, some of the people they are subsidizing are living in nice homes with the help of Section 8 and get food stamps and Medicaid, while they are working 50-60 hours a week to try to avoid having their mobile home or modest home foreclosed on and to keep food in the house and insurance on their kids.
What about young people with low 6 figures in assets who are forced to live in poverty because of housing prices.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:36 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Too many people, especially on C-D, think that possession of things like smartphones or 60 inch LED TV's mean someone is doing alright. You can have those things in America and be in a very bad situation. I don't know how many times I have to tell older people on C-D that TV's and phones are freaking CHEAP nowadays, and possession of them means NOTHING. I have basically every gadget imaginable - tablet, smartphone, e-reader, laptop, desktop gaming computer, gps, LED TV, home theater, and will probably soon buy a smartwatch. I tend to buy the previous year's best model of all those things off of ebay... they are about half the retail price that way. Total cost to me for all of it... maybe $3000? Plus of course the phone and internet service subscriptions.

My definition of middle class is having a security or insurance against negative externalities such as job loss, death in the family or health crisis. A poor or marginal person will be ruined by one of these events, probably cannot cope. A middle class person can weather one or more.
so, lets say i make $250k, am i middle class if i have a winter cabin, a summer villa, and full time home? add in snow mobiles and boats for the vacation toys.

if i lost a job, i would be "financially" ruined...

before someone says, i could sell of those extra things, i could point to a poor person and say they can sell off those tvs, phones, etc in your example

so how do the two examples differ? both would be classifed as same right?

Old 09-21-2017, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
so, lets say i make $250k, am i middle class if i have a winter cabin, a summer villa, and full time home? add in snow mobiles and boats for the vacation toys.

if i lost a job, i would be "financially" ruined...

before someone says, i could sell of those extra things, i could point to a poor person and say they can sell off those tvs, phones, etc in your example

so how do the two examples differ? both would be classifed as same right?
You'd get way more money for the cabin and villa than they would selling the tv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics