Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 04:58 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times

Advertisements

the difference between a poor in the US and the poor in third world countries? Food. the poor in the US can eat what a rich man eats in the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 07:13 PM

1,110 posts, read 896,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
the difference between a poor in the US and the poor in third world countries? Food. the poor in the US can eat what a rich man eats in the US
But they don't. The poor eat fast food, junk, TV dinners, unhealthy stuff, while the rich can afford to eat fresh fruits and vegetables, prepared food, and are taught to eat smaller portions.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:24 PM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
But they don't. The poor eat fast food, junk, TV dinners, unhealthy stuff, while the rich can afford to eat fresh fruits and vegetables, prepared food, and are taught to eat smaller portions.
There is a big difference between what you can do, and what you do.

In the USA poor people can eat a healthy diet of fresh foods, yet most Americans [rich and poor] eat junk food.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:08 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You don't know your climates very well. Anywhere near the ocean on SoCal is practically freeze free. The inland areas of SoCal get more overnight freezes.
In my post, I stated the word comfortable while being homeless, and I've been along the Southern California coast in winter and it's far, far from comfortable. I've even stayed in Tijuana in January, and cold enough at night to put my clothes on just to use the bathroom.

In Haiti, Central America, not even a blanket is needed!

Old 09-05-2017, 09:14 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula12 View Post
You're a typical example of an America tourist who visits poorer nations, with American money, and are shielded from the actual realities of life there for much of the population. There's a reason why there's a net movement of people away from those countries towards places like the US, with many willing to go to extreme lengths to fulfill that ambition.
I'm far from being a typical American tourist! Like I stated in my post, I rode chicken buses, and rides in the backs of pick-ups when I traveled around Central America, the majority of the time I was the only American on board. Safe, secure tour groups are not my thing!

In so many third world countries, transportation, public transportation are far less costly to the poor. How many poor in the U.S. have no choice but to bear the costs of owning/maintaining a car just to get to work?
A big drain on their measly income!

The poorest of the poor are stuck there, they can't afford to pay the coyotes to take them even into Mexico, let alone the U.S.

Last edited by tijlover; 09-05-2017 at 09:29 PM..

Old 09-05-2017, 09:17 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Just today, an immigrant told me he felt America doesn't do enough to help people in other countries. That we should do more. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that statement.

America and Americans do a lot of charity for people around the world. But his attitude seemed to be that Americans should just give handouts to people, and keep doing it.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:55 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Just today, an immigrant told me he felt America doesn't do enough to help people in other countries. That we should do more. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that statement.

America and Americans do a lot of charity for people around the world. But his attitude seemed to be that Americans should just give handouts to people, and keep doing it.
in terms of absolute value, yes but in proportion to GDP? no. the Europeans give more aid than americans

Israel, Egypt and Pakistan get more military aid than economic aid provided to poor countries

Old 09-05-2017, 10:20 PM

228 posts, read 260,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have lived [and owned homes] overseas. I have seen this with my own eyes, many times.

As a military retiree, I get a pension of $1480/month. Returning stateside to support my family we had to be very selective of where we settled down. For me to return to my native California, we would be on welfare and public housing. Stateside $1480/month is not 'high income'. But there are places where we can do okay with this level of income, we do pretty good here in rural New England.

A common adage I hear among fellow retirees is to live overseas again. There are many places overseas where $1480/month can get you a huge estate, a cook, a housekeeper, a nanny, a ground keeper, and a hot young masseuse.
Well, would you mind identifying the places where $1480 will get a person an estate, cook, etc.? I'd love to know. I'm currently contemplating retiring in the Philippines where $1480 would certainly go farther than it would in the U.S. Many retirees living there indicate that $1500 a month will provide a comfortable standard of living, but none so far have indicated that it provides the luxurious level of living that you describe. Since the Philippines is commonly thought of as being one of the cheaper retirement locales, I would be interested in knowing where $1480 goes as far you say it does.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:40 AM

96 posts, read 78,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Have you been to the U.K.? The cost of living there is much higher than a USA and they make much less.
Try visiting areas that aren't expensive tourist traps. The cost of living is a bit lower than in the US, and it has far better public services.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:43 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
People say this because if the poor in America are not as bad as other countries then they do not have to care about them or do anything to help them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics