Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 11:05 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,928,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
If I was old I could have bought a house and would cheer on the techie hipsters raising my property values and picked up a few 20 year old women in a mid 60s corvette.
I keep trying, but they think I'm somebody's grandpa :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 11:12 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,729,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I keep trying, but they think I'm somebody's grandpa :-)
Tell them you could pay off their student loans with just money in a money market account and they'll suddenly see you as Hugh Hefner.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:16 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,928,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Tell them you could pay off their student loans with just money in a money market account and they'll suddenly see you as Hugh Hefner.
But then my wife would think I'm not just joking around with them.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
But then my wife would think I'm not just joking around with them.
I could say the same thing to them but I'd rather spend that money praying I can actually own land one day rather than lose it to a gold digger.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:23 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,339,085 times
Between the fires, floods, mudslides, earthquakes, horrible traffic and high COL why would anybody want to continue living in California. I'm not being rude I'm just curious what makes California so desirable to so many people. Is it the weather? Proximity to the beaches? I'm curious.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Between the fires, floods, mudslides, earthquakes, horrible traffic and high COL why would anybody want to continue living in California. I'm not being rude I'm just curious what makes California so desirable to so many people. Is it the weather? Proximity to the beaches? I'm curious.
Weather, and because metrosexual hipsters want to live there.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:02 AM

10,498 posts, read 4,063,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4881 View Post
Yes I've heard about it. Ventura County wasn't like that because we don't have the tech jobs that they have in the Bay Area. For Ventura County to become this way and only offer low paying jobs is making it unbearable.
I hate to break it to you, but this is all by design. The super rich want you out, so they will pay your local political leaders to keep taxes and regulations high, so that the living expenses are high, but will squash any chance of a small time business coming in and becoming a flagship of success.

It's happening where I live right now. Insurance and property taxes are going through the roof, and not just for the residences either. Businesses are being hit so hard, that they are closing up left and right, and leaving town. Big box store companies are finding any way they can to fire long time workers, and they are being replaced by lower paid people who can live off of welfare and section 8 housing. It's all set up to push the undesirable people out of a region, and keep the few welfare recipients on deck, because they tend to not be as educated to fight back against the obvious oppression taking place.

The worst hit area is the rural area near me. It's mostly farms out there, and they are being hit with a huge tax and insurance increases, and now the county is going over board with the regulations, licenses and fees to keep in business. 30% of the land out there is up for sale via foreclosures, and it's the development companies that are eating it up (same development companies whose CEO's live in the nice mansions in Palm Beach Island.)

Old 10-13-2017, 09:07 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,884,096 times
Ah, yes -- the conspiracy theory. Yeah, that must be it -- a conspiracy.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:16 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,815,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Beaches, culture, Hollywood, diversity of restaurants, historical significance of various neighborhoods, moderate climate year-round, diversity of jobs, etc..

Some of those things you can quantify with a $ value, but all of those combined, you can't narrowly put a $ value on but people are willing to pay $$$ to be there for that.

On the surface it's easy to put what you put in bold but think harder.

Put it this way, assume you have unlimited money and COL is not an issue for you, where would you want to live and why? A lot of people if asked this question would choose the expensive cities, SF, NYC, LA, etc... but WHY?, their answer why is exactly the same reason why demand is through the roof in those cities.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:04 PM

9,825 posts, read 11,567,120 times
I see some sort of rent control in Southern California future.
NYC has it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics