Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 04:23 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Why do wage earners, with no college degrees, little understanding of Corp. accounting practices such as write offs,support tax policies that give huge tax breaks to Corporations? They never ever pay the tax rate that they are supposed to be in. GE, for instance, pays 0 taxes. How is that possible?

Do they truly believe these tax breaks will create jobs for them? Unemployment is the lowest right now.
Corporations have huge cash reserves and can invest them in expansion right now if they want to.

I am not trying to politicize this, merely want a discussion on how this happens where voters are induced to vote against their own interests.
Misplaced hope.

I know the theory is that tax cuts will result in more jobs and higher wages, but I fear that mostly, it will just mean bigger profits for a few. The only thing that will create more jobs is more demand for products and services. I could probably get behind the tax cuts if they were accompanied by higher minimum wages. Most people don't have a great surplus of cash, and when they get more, they spend it. That would create more demand, and therefore, more jobs.

I'm no expert, but this just seems like common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 06:31 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
these my friend are your US educated ELECTORATE.!

Get used to it,

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Why do wage earners, with no college degrees, little understanding of Corp. accounting practices such as write offs,support tax policies that give huge tax breaks to Corporations? They never ever pay the tax rate that they are supposed to be in. GE, for instance, pays 0 taxes. How is that possible?

Do they truly believe these tax breaks will create jobs for them? Unemployment is the lowest right now.
Corporations have huge cash reserves and can invest them in expansion right now if they want to.

I am not trying to politicize this, merely want a discussion on how this happens where voters are induced to vote against their own interests.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:52 AM

15,967 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Misplaced hope.

I know the theory is that tax cuts will result in more jobs and higher wages, but I fear that mostly, it will just mean bigger profits for a few. The only thing that will create more jobs is more demand for products and services. I could probably get behind the tax cuts if they were accompanied by higher minimum wages. Most people don't have a great surplus of cash, and when they get more, they spend it. That would create more demand, and therefore, more jobs.

I'm no expert, but this just seems like common sense.
Economics 101. That is what college gets you.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:47 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
You can always get the desired answer you want depending on the context provided to a question. Often, the background information provided is distorted, such as the fake unrepatriated foreign profits issue.

Everyone is for tax cuts on its face.

If you tell them the average household will get a $4,434 tax cut, it sounds like a good thing for the person on the street.

If you remind them that the average household income is nearly twice that of the median, there is really nothing of benefit to the typical household from the proposed tax plan.

If the question is combined with concern about future deficits exceeding 1 trillion dollars a year, you might get different answers. In addition, the plan creates another backdoor for lower rates for the top income brackets using pass-thru business income that these people will be exempt from any future attempts to address the deficits by changing the tax rate schedule.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:04 AM

You can remind them the economy is doin great already, Trump just took credit for it. Unemployment has not been lower. You can remind them how concerned they were about debt ceiling, they shut the government down for it. Tax cuts will increase it now. Nope. They love their tax cuts more than the nation.

Old 10-28-2017, 01:55 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
Quoted from cb2008's earlier post:

Lies

1. Corporate taxes are taxes on individuals.

In spite of historical data that shows that the reverse is not true, tax cuts did not produce higher wages or reduced prices. Corporations are cash rich, unemployment is low and they can expand if they want to. Amazon is doing it by leaps and bounds, taxes has not stopped them

2. Corporate tax returns are so complicated NOBODY understands them.
Irrelevant to the discussion. One need not understand the intricacies of tax return filings to understand how tax policies affect ordinary people. [End Quote]

cb2008, no one in the Republican Party told me that corporate taxes are really taxes on the purchasers of that corporation's goods and services
Also suppliers of that corporation's goods and services - workers, managers, capital providers, people selling stuff to the company.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:47 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,072,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
They would like the opportunity to be high wage earners someday.
Yes, this explains quite a lot. Many co-opted people actually believe that they might be super-wealthy one day, and they don't want their incomes in those deluxe future times encumbered by high rates of taxation. Such foolish fantasy!

Old 10-29-2017, 09:10 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,072,389 times
There is no one else here but us. Ultimately, it is we who pay all of the taxers as well as all of the costs of wanton corporate greed and malfeasance. At the same time, it is widely considered best to maintain a diversified tax base. Taxing business incomes is a perfectly rational thing to do, regardless of how much baying at the moon these business-promoting people might do.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:50 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCalifornian View Post
I didn't read this entire thread, but it interests me. Here is my opinion:

Low-Wage earners often lack education. As a result, they will often "listen" or "read tweets" from their leaders who say they're going to help them. Unfortunately, they lack the intelligence or willingness to actually learn about different policies, so they have blind faith.
So, what is a "low-wage" earner? You have a definition of this? How does education factor into understanding this? How do you even measure is someone has the education to understand such a subject?

Old 10-29-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
So, what is a "low-wage" earner? You have a definition of this? How does education factor into understanding this? How do you even measure is someone has the education to understand such a subject?
The original post said nothing about low wage earners, just wage earner as opposed to business owners and corporat

The point is that most people do not understand or even care about tax policy. If it is based on progressive ideas and in national interest, that all Americans deserve to have decent wages, heath care, public education, and decent jobs, then most people would not have to care about tax policy.

But when a tax policy is devised to pointedly cut taxes for the rich - via corporate taxes - then why are people who would not care about tax policy otherwise, support cutting taxes for the rich, and ignore the fact that it is they, with their own meager incomes who will pay for it via the loss of any of the safety nets that have been built into the system - medicare, social security, health care, funds for education and infrastructure. You cannot possible understand one without the other.

And yet they spout this mantra that tax cuts for the wealthy will somehow benefit them. This is brain washing. Nobody votes against their own interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics